Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RTI MMM2 satnav (MY8-11) not being updated

Views : 18728

Replies : 93

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2016, 18:50   #31
mantee78

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
Here's a couple - you can see from the google maps overlay what the new road layout is, and you can see the old road layout on the satellite image. The volvo satnav is in line with the satellite imagery.

Another interesting one would be to know if the new satnav disc can get its head around the new junction at the A62/A627 (Oldham way) - again, google maps is correct but the satellite image is out of date.
Ok, will check it on Wednesday or Thursday and post images for you.
mantee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 18:57   #32
craig1992

Evening all, I don't know if it's been mentioned as I only read the first page, but I have a 2009 v70 with the inbuilt sat nav and I'm in the unfortunate boat of having to pay for my update discs and tbh I agree with others, just get a Garmin / Tom Tom as for the discs its a whopping £125. I can go get a satnav with lifetime maps and camera updates for that. It's stupid and unfair for volvo to insult their customers and stop updates from 2013 which obviously already 3 years outdated.
craig1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 18:22   #33
mantee78

Quote:
Here's a couple - you can see from the google maps overlay what the new road layout is, and you can see the old road layout on the satellite image. The volvo satnav is in line with the satellite imagery.

Oldham Mumps

Ashton-under-Lyne A635/A627 junction

Another interesting one would be to know if the new satnav disc can get its head around the new junction at the A62/A627 (Oldham way) - again, google maps is correct but the satellite image is out of date.
I've been at home for few minutes only, and my company sent me away again, so had no time to compare images with google maps.

Hope I pointed correct places

What do you think, mate?
The Following User Says Thank You to mantee78 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 18:25   #34
I-S
Premier Member

You did indeed get the right places! and the answer is that it looks like 2 out of the 3 are now correct (my 2013 disc has 0 of 3 correct). It's the most recently changed junction that's not correct, but it's unreasonable to expect them to be bang up-to-date. The principle is simply that of more up to date than what we have currently.

Thank you for that, I'll probably order one of those discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1992
Evening all, I don't know if it's been mentioned as I only read the first page
It might be worth reading more than that...
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 19:31   #35
mantee78

Quote:
You did indeed get the right places! and the answer is that it looks like 2 out of the 3 are now correct (my 2013 disc has 0 of 3 correct). It's the most recently changed junction that's not correct, but it's unreasonable to expect them to be bang up-to-date. The principle is simply that of more up to date than what we have currently.

Thank you for that, I'll probably order one of those discs.

It might be worth reading more than that...
That's great info for me, thank you

I have an idea, but don't want to brake the law nor Forum rules, so if I'm doing that below, I'm asking Mods to delate that post, please.

Volvo doesn't update these maps anymore, and they didn't sell rights to do it to any third party, so I don't know if that what is doing the shop I purchased discs from is legal, I mean earning money on.

So what do you think if I would copy all 4 discs and upload them to our or any recommended server and Forum members could download them for free?
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 21:25   #36
I-S
Premier Member

I think that would be shaky ground at best - regardless of whether volvo sell it or not, the content of the discs is someone's copyright.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 21:31   #37
st4
I've Been Banned

Default Just use the Nav

I drive around with a 6yr old Tom Tom thats not had one update and I've drive in Spain right down to Andalusia into Seville, Granada, Ronda and all over France, Germany, Switzerland, through Belgium and right into cities like Munich, Barcelona, Madrid without so much of a hiccup from using an old map.

Roads do not change "that" much. A Nav with a disc as recent as 2012 will be pretty much bang on. I rock around with a 2009 map and you know what, bar the odd road improvement, new roundabout (the French love roundabouts) its pretty much spot on. Put it this way, I've never not found where I wanted to go. I probably could update it for £40odd quid or buy a newer one for £100odd, but I'd rather spend the money on Fois Gras and Fillets Mignon.

A bit of thought and use of roadsigns along with the Nav and you are fine. It is an aid, not a device that drives you point A to B.

Just enjoy the car and the fact you have a screen thats in the dash not rattling along an airvent and a messy cable flopping about.
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 22:57   #38
mantee78

Default P

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4 View Post
I drive around with a 6yr old Tom Tom thats not had one update and I've drive in Spain right down to Andalusia into Seville, Granada, Ronda and all over France, Germany, Switzerland, through Belgium and right into cities like Munich, Barcelona, Madrid without so much of a hiccup from using an old map.

Roads do not change "that" much. A Nav with a disc as recent as 2012 will be pretty much bang on. I rock around with a 2009 map and you know what, bar the odd road improvement, new roundabout (the French love roundabouts) its pretty much spot on. Put it this way, I've never not found where I wanted to go. I probably could update it for £40odd quid or buy a newer one for £100odd, but I'd rather spend the money on Fois Gras and Fillets Mignon.

A bit of thought and use of roadsigns along with the Nav and you are fine. It is an aid, not a device that drives you point A to B.

Just enjoy the car and the fact you have a screen thats in the dash not rattling along an airvent and a messy cable flopping about.
You would be surprised how much roads can change, especially where new roads appeared.

I mentioned road signs driving in my previous posts. The other thing is that I just don't like to use not up to day devices or softwares.

In my work I'm looking for places/addresses every day, and I'm using old fashion paper maps, google maps, auto mapa for trucks software on my laptop and navigon sat nav app on my iPhone, and sometimes still I need to ring the customer to ask how to get to delivery place. If I was using an old maps/software I would not 'survive' a single day, would hit very first wall with my head... hard... few times...
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 12:43   #39
st4
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantee78 View Post
You would be surprised how much roads can change, especially where new roads appeared.

I mentioned road signs driving in my previous posts. The other thing is that I just don't like to use not up to day devices or softwares.

In my work I'm looking for places/addresses every day, and I'm using old fashion paper maps, google maps, auto mapa for trucks software on my laptop and navigon sat nav app on my iPhone, and sometimes still I need to ring the customer to ask how to get to delivery place. If I was using an old maps/software I would not 'survive' a single day, would hit very first wall with my head... hard... few times...
Oh they change, but follow the general direction, follow signs and you can be ok. Certainly for a motorist touring abroad. Delivery aye, but a passanger car going 2-3x to Spain/France for travel photography my out of date nav does just fine.
st4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2016, 22:26   #40
Christopher2016

Now this available the latest update 2016 for mmm2, It released a month ago!
Christopher2016 is offline   Reply With Quote