Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Courtesy Light

Views : 657

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2020, 20:06   #1
mfarmitage

Default Courtesy Light

Having decided to try and fix everything thats wrong with my little 1986 740 i have now ordered a new-old courtesy light, the previous owner had installed a battery light which makes me think the old light lost power.

I just checked and the green/red wire has 12v but the brown wire never gets voltage. I have looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like the green/red is the door open light control? Why would that be always hot? Any idea why the brown wire doesn't have voltage? The fuses are all good.

I opened the 2 doors and still no voltage to the brown wire.

My conclusion is, faulty door switch is making the red/green always on or... does the light go off when the engine is started?

or i have completely misread the wiring diagram

Help!

Thanks in advance

Michael
mfarmitage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfarmitage For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2020, 20:37   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

Are you sure the switches don’t complete the circuit to ground via the vehicle bodywork? That’s how they work on 940s and is a fairly common approach. This would mean the incoming live to the light would be permanent and the brown wire should connect to ground when a door is open. What often happens is the connection to the vehicle bodywork corrodes and/or the contacts inside the switch deteriorate. It is possible to clean everything up and make the switches work again but I’ve found it more reliable on my 940 just to buy new switches.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2020, 21:58   #3
Ian21401
Premier Member

What Forrest said.
The courtesy light in my 940 works fine on three of the doors but the offside passenger door switch is rather temperamental. I removed it expecting it to have only one wire connected and to earth through the switch screwed to the B post. It had two wires connected, green/red and blue/black. The action of the switch connected these two wires so it appears that the earth is somewhere else and not through the switch attachment to the B post. I checked the connections and cleaned the switch contacts which seems to have improved matters somewhat but it is still a little temperamental.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Jun 11th, 2020 at 22:04. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2020, 22:42   #4
mfarmitage

more testing tomorrow i think . that kind of makes sense... thanks

while im here does anyone know if the 740 heating controls should have lights?
The Following User Says Thank You to mfarmitage For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2020, 22:55   #5
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
What Forrest said.
The courtesy light in my 940 works fine on three of the doors but the offside passenger door switch is rather temperamental. I removed it expecting it to have only one wire connected and to earth through the switch screwed to the B post. It had two wires connected, green/red and blue/black. The action of the switch connected these two wires so it appears that the earth is somewhere else and not through the switch attachment to the B post. I checked the connections and cleaned the switch contacts which seems to have improved matters somewhat but it is still a little temperamental.
It is earthed through the post. I tested a switch of mine that was causing an issue - the interior light was always on - and a test seemed ok. However swapping it with another cured the issue. When the door closes I think it disconnects across the wires but connects to the Earth.
I ordered a new switch off eBay for a few pounds and it all works fine now. I think the contacts inside just wear out eventually.
I may be wrong but that’s how it worked for me.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 00:01   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

I’ve always assumed the two wires at the door switch on the 940 were one for the light and one for the alarm, both earthed through the door pillar; but I’ve never investigated this fully.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 00:08   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I’ve always assumed the two wires at the door switch on the 940 were one for the light and one for the alarm, both earthed through the door pillar; but I’ve never investigated this fully.
You've got a delay on your interior light haven't you? One wire goes direct to the interior light to turn it on by completing the circuit to earth. The other triggers the delay unit built in to the light which keeps the light on for up to about 30s after the door is closed.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 00:20   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarmitage View Post
Having decided to try and fix everything thats wrong with my little 1986 740 i have now ordered a new-old courtesy light, the previous owner had installed a battery light which makes me think the old light lost power.

I just checked and the green/red wire has 12v but the brown wire never gets voltage. I have looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like the green/red is the door open light control? Why would that be always hot? Any idea why the brown wire doesn't have voltage? The fuses are all good.

I opened the 2 doors and still no voltage to the brown wire.

My conclusion is, faulty door switch is making the red/green always on or... does the light go off when the engine is started?

or i have completely misread the wiring diagram

Help!

Thanks in advance

Michael
The green/red wire is your +12V permanent feed to the interior lights. Are the bulbs ok and the switches on the light in the on position??? Middle position is OFF!!!

Start on the drivers pillar switch, remove the screw holding it to the pillar and pull it out - clean the pillar where the screw fits with emery cloth, likewise the back of the switch where it meets the pillar.
Also remove the wire connectors from the switch and clean the tabs.

Reassemble it all with some silicone grease behind the switch and on the screw, if everything is ok you might see a tiny splash of current sparking as you do the screw up and the light comes on

Repeat for the other 3 doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarmitage View Post
more testing tomorrow i think . that kind of makes sense... thanks

while im here does anyone know if the 740 heating controls should have lights?
Yes, they should. Looks quite effective as they are coloured bars on the sliders if memory serves.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 01:27   #9
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The green/red wire is your +12V permanent feed to the interior lights. Are the bulbs ok and the switches on the light in the on position??? Middle position is OFF!!!

Start on the drivers pillar switch, remove the screw holding it to the pillar and pull it out - clean the pillar where the screw fits with emery cloth, likewise the back of the switch where it meets the pillar.

Reassemble it all with some silicone grease behind the switch and on the screw, if everything is ok you might see a tiny splash of current sparking as you do the screw up and the light comes on

Repeat for the other 3 doors.
Didn’t work for me. It all appeared to work ok when tested away from car but for some reason not when connected. New switch sorted it.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 05:18   #10
mfarmitage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I don't have the new light yet, I was just trying to figure out why the previous owner went battery before the switch arrives but thanks now i know it seems to be getting power ok.

Quote:
on the drivers pillar switch, remove the screw holding it to the pillar and pull it out - clean the pillar where the screw fits with emery cloth, likewise the back of the switch where it meets the pillar.
great, i'll give it a go.

Quote:
Yes, they should. Looks quite effective as they are coloured bars on the sliders if memory serves.
looks like i need to fix the bulb then as i have no light there atm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfarmitage For This Useful Post: