Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

19T turbo?

Views : 15662

Replies : 171

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 00:51   #31
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartbomb View Post
As Don hinted at in an earlier post, none of the Mitsubishi turbos even come close to the performance of the Turbo Technics hybrid T28. The 19T will max out at about 325-330bhp. The hybrid will easily take 360-370, has exactly the same fittings as the 19T, holds top-end boost MUCH better (peak boost in my T4 is 21psi, from 3600rpm to ~7500rpm) and it costs about the same. Why people are still buying the 19T I have no idea.
I do actually believe the 19T is close to £670 so I'm not sure how that relates cost-wise to the T28 (perhaps similar or even more costly). But the main point is Turbo Technics will stand by their turbos to run at over 1.5bar all day long (warranted for 2 years I believe); that goes some way to showing the confidence in their product. Warranty on a Volvo sourced 19T is void the moment it is run above standard boost pressures used on the "classic" 2.4R AWD cars. In addition, I think its possible that some tuners have struggled to get a T28 to work properly, hence probably choose to stick with something that they are familiar and can work with. At the end of the day I guess a 19T is a straightforward swap whereas the T28 is more likely to be the choice of a more discerning tunee.

"An Engine Which Runs Lean Lives on Borrowed Time"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=13998

Last edited by pyaap; Feb 27th, 2007 at 00:56.
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 01:01   #32
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyaap View Post
... But the main point is Turbo Technics will stand by their turbos to run at over 1.5bar all day long (warranted for 2 years I believe); that goes some way to showing the confidence in their product. ... T28 is more likely to be the choice of a more discerning tunee.
What turbo do you use? cheers
pigapumbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 01:05   #33
smartbomb
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyaap View Post
At the end of the day I guess a 19T is a straightforward swap whereas the T28 is more likely to be the choice of a more discerning tunee.
Tunee. I like that. Is that a real word though...?
smartbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 11:04   #34
Lance BLACK V70 T5

I went for the 19t because 1, its used non other volvos, 2 I didnt want more than 350 bhp on a high miles car and 3 the main concideration cost.
Overall Im delighted the way the 19t performs and I believe it takes the t5 fairly near to its power limit withought the worry of having to upgrade internals!
Lance BLACK V70 T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 11:47   #35
smartbomb
VOC Member

Hi Lance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the 19T isn't any good, just that the hybrid is better. I know the 19T upgrade is tried and tested and is therefore a safe bet, but where would we be if people didn't experiment? Sometimes new ideas don't work out, sometimes they do. As for the cost, Turbo Technics actually did me a very good deal and I ended up paying less than I would have for a 19T, and as far as safe power limits for standard internals goes, that's all down to the mapping. You can have as much or as little boost as you like. All you need is a tuning company capable of mapping it to your requirements. My T4 is still running on standard internals (though not for much longer ) perfectly safely, but I now have the option of pushing it much further than I would with a 19T.

Paul
smartbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 12:12   #36
Lance BLACK V70 T5

Wink

Horses for courses I guess, I use my car for work so reliabity was a big issue and this hasnt been effected. If I drive sensibly the economy is impresive for a big car running pleanty of power for me!
Maybe one day I will go the hybrid route on a newer low mileage car!
Lance BLACK V70 T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 15:38   #37
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartbomb View Post
As Don hinted at in an earlier post, none of the Mitsubishi turbos even come close to the performance of the Turbo Technics hybrid T28. The 19T will max out at about 325-330bhp. The hybrid will easily take 360-370, has exactly the same fittings as the 19T, holds top-end boost MUCH better (peak boost in my T4 is 21psi, from 3600rpm to ~7500rpm) and it costs about the same. Why people are still buying the 19T I have no idea.

Paul
Surely if that's true then nobody would be using the 19T. There must be something more to it!
carpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 16:14   #38
PNuT
MaDMaN

is there any more info kicking about on these hybrid turbos like cost etc? were to buy bla bla bla?
PNuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 16:36   #39
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigapumbu View Post
What turbo do you use? cheers
Its a Garrett GT30, the car was worked on by SW Autos and is running an MTE map. I think Smartbomb has hit the nail on the head here; ultimately it down to the actual software tuning on the car. When I first considered the 19T, I read about additional lag etc., but in reality, once tuned, there was more power and torque from 1500rpm all the way up to the redline so it really is down to the capability of the person doing the mapping.

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 16:45   #40
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
is there any more info kicking about on these hybrid turbos like cost etc? were to buy bla bla bla?
Hi PNut,

Here's some info as posted by TurboTechnics themselves on this forum some time back:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...2&postcount=16

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...4&postcount=18

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...7&postcount=21