Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brakes

Views : 892

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 22:20   #1
Networkguy

Default Brakes

On my 98' S70, I have just come round to change the back brake pads at 70k miles (changed the front at 60k miles).

Now I have never been impressed by the brakes on the car and at last I have found out why.

When they came to change the pads, they found that the build up of brake dust had set solid and the rear pads were not reaching the discs on one side. A quick clean later and away you go.

Now the brakes feel amazing (and the car now stays level and doesn't dip) and thinking back, I have a nasty feeling that they have been in this state for a long time.

So for all those out there who are not eating brake pads every 10k miles, who think things are not as good as they could be, it might be worth a look
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:14   #2
liuleichan
Premier Member

Default RE: Brakes

>On my 98' S70, I have just come round to change the back
>brake pads at 70k miles (changed the front at 60k miles).
>
>Now I have never been impressed by the brakes on the car and
>at last I have found out why.
>
>When they came to change the pads, they found that the build
>up of brake dust had set solid and the rear pads were not
>reaching the discs on one side. A quick clean later and away
>you go.
>
>Now the brakes feel amazing (and the car now stays level and
>doesn't dip) and thinking back, I have a nasty feeling that
>they have been in this state for a long time.
>
>So for all those out there who are not eating brake pads
>every 10k miles, who think things are not as good as they
>could be, it might be worth a look

I also own a 98 S70.

Bought the car with 80k miles on. Dunno if it had any pads / disk changes up to that point. I have all the service stuff, and receipts, but haven't really noticed any brake stuff being done.

Presumably the previous owner (given the mileage when I bought it, and it's age) did mostly motorway miles, as do I.

I've recently had new disks and pads all round. At a freebie service at 100k, the main dealers mentioned that they believe they all needed changing. When pressed, they said there was around 4k miles life left.

They wanted around £500 for the whole thing - disks and pads all round. I shopped around, and got a free brake survey at one of the mainstream brake / tyre places. I had the work done at a good Volvo independant garage that I normally use for servicing.

It seems from the survey I had done, that the pads weren't that critical. I got to look at the car, on a ramp, whilst they explained. The rear disks had a fair amount of corrosion - not surface corrosion, but around the edges of the disks, and some scoring.

The front disks were just fairly worn, and lipped. From what I remember, the pads were probably somewhere around 30-40% on average, all round.

So claiming they needed replacement, wasn't totally unreasonable - but it wasn't a particularly urgent thing.

I've found the brakes good, since I've owned the car. And the new disks and pads, are equally as effective - although they were a bit slidey when new.

I think I had somewhere around 105k miles on the clock when they were done. As I said, I don't know whether either disks or pads were changed previously (ie before I owned the car), but I have all the receipts, even for tyre and windscreen stuff, as well as servicing. So on the assumption that they haven't been changed, until I had it done, 105k is pretty good, I think.

Lei Chan

liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:57   #3
roy chu1

Hi Lei,

I had my 90k service last week and they told me that the brake pads needed changing for they only had 4k left on them.

But I only changed them 2 months ago, so the dealers are notorious for telling their customers this.

They charge the earth for what takes a couple of hours.

Get a second opinion.

All the best

Roy
roy chu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2002, 11:21   #4
liuleichan
Premier Member

>Hi Lei,

That's Lei Chan - "Chan" is not my surname (that's Liu). ;-)

>I had my 90k service last week and they told me that the
>brake pads needed changing for they only had 4k left on
>them.
>
>But I only changed them 2 months ago, so the dealers are
>notorious for telling their customers this.
>
>They charge the earth for what takes a couple of hours.
>
>Get a second opinion.
>
>All the best

I did - I got a second and a third opinion, and actually looked at what they (not the original dealers) were explaining.

I had the work done about 6k miles back.

As I said, the pads weren't that marginal, but the disks clearly were due for replacement - the fronts, for wear, and the rears for corrosion and scoring.

Lei Chan
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2002, 20:01   #5
Networkguy

so the dealers are
>notorious for telling their customers this.

Some dealers (and some fast fit places as well)but when they told at 60k, I had a look and yes they were very very thin and at that time they said the backs probably had about 6k left. When I pointed out that they had done 60k, they said 'well in that case, you probably have more milage left then sowe will check them again at the next service'. In the meantime, I checked them myself just before the service and yes, they did seem low so fair enough,
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2002, 09:13   #6
markas
VOC Member

Hi ya all,

The rears depending on how you drive and I used to do a lot of motorwaying and stopping quickly off the off-ramps but they last me 3 years. The only reason I have had to change either the disc was due to age, minimum thickness reached or warping and putting new pads on.

If you park you car for two weeks at an airport for example they are going to corrode but is it soon away after some firm braking.

For the fronts if you drive like a boy racer then they will probably get less than 50k if you are lucky. The OEM/Volvo ones have a taper on them to stop the squeal and help in the dust removal. I use slotted discs on my front and OEM pads and have no problems with longevity

Mark.

Network guy where r u in Yorkshire ?
markas is offline   Reply With Quote