Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heavy Duty rear springs and/or front lowering springs

Views : 1154

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 22:34   #1
matbat

Default Heavy Duty rear springs and/or front lowering springs

Hi there,

I'm after a set of the heavy duty rear springs for a 1991 Estate.
Prefer new or nearly new.

Also, less urgent though equally wanted are a pair of front lowering springs.

Kind regards,
Mat
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 22:42   #2
Mike1967
Premier Member

Any reason you need these ..... I can vouch for the comfort side of them , they produce a VERY hard ride .

Have you tried Eurocarparts .. or GSF ?
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 22:50   #3
matbat

Hey Stiggy,

good question,

firstly I will be carrying heavy loads on occasion
and secondly I want to stiffen up the rear end for improved handling.

I'm not too concerned about a firm ride if it's not jarring. (I used to have a lotus 7 so the volvo is like riding on candyfloss by comparison!)
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 22:56   #4
Mike1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbat View Post
Hey Stiggy,

good question,

firstly I will be carrying heavy loads on occasion
and secondly I want to stiffen up the rear end for improved handling.

I'm not too concerned about a firm ride if it's not jarring. (I used to have a lotus 7 so the volvo is like riding on candyfloss by comparison!)
Oh right ok .... well if its heavy loads sure HD springs would be good . On a 240 I used to own the owner had HD springs on the rear basically as when the two lpg tanks where full that is a lot of weight . Anyway cut a long story short ..... hd springs where taken off and new standard springs where fitted . And to be honest with the new standard springs , the car didnt really sit that low on the rear at all .... its as they say , with age springs loose their strength .
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 23:19   #5
redboy
Master Member

I agree wth Stiggy- the only reason for HD springs on an estate is loads. I put some on mine when I got my LPG fitted- mainly becuase the handling was very wallowy with soft springs. BUT you really can tell the difference between a full and empty tank. It feels like there's no travel at all with an empty load- bounces all over the place.

I think there may be some ?cargo springs? or something- that have a variable coil pattern and are a good compromise.

For what its worth, mine were about £40 for the pair from eurocarparts.

cheers,
Brian
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 23:42   #6
matbat

Many thanks for all your replies.

I've looked at Eurocarparts though they seem to list them at £42 each (Why do they always quote springs individually yet insist you replace them in pairs....?)

GSF seem a little less pricey.

I will take a look out for the "cargo" springs.

It might be worth adding that after I get the engine "fettled" I'll also be doing the odd trip round the Nurburgring so would like the car to be balanced in the handling department. Maybe standard springs on the rear are the better way to go with lowering springs on the front...

Oooh the choices!
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 00:15   #7
Rich 264
Pinball Wizard

I would imagine that at the design stage volvo considered that the car would be used for carrying heavy loads and would have factored this in when designing standard springs?

Fitting new standard springs in place of old knackered ones makes a huge difference, as does fitting new dampers in place of old knackered ones. I think they call it "stage 0" tuning, getting the car back to what it was meant to be when built.

I can understand fitting HD springs if you're a builder with a boot full of cement and pulling a trailer all day, but otherwise it just sounds a bit dangerous. I drive commercial vehicles most days of all different sizes and obviously these are fitted with HD springs etc and unladen they are simply horrible. At the very least if fitting HD springs then I would have thought the dampers will need uprating to control the extra power of the spring and stop it bouncing everywhere.

That said I am happy to be corrected!

I think the consensus on RWD cars for handling is stiff and low at the front for control, and keep it soft and pliable at the back for traction, Lotus Cortina style?
Rich 264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 00:17   #8
matbat

Smile

That sounds reasonable to me,

So It sounds like standard springs are what I need and shall get.
Thanks for the help guys! :-)
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 03:16   #9
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 264 View Post
I would imagine that at the design stage volvo considered that the car would be used for carrying heavy loads and would have factored this in when designing standard springs?

Fitting new standard springs in place of old knackered ones makes a huge difference, as does fitting new dampers in place of old knackered ones. I think they call it "stage 0" tuning, getting the car back to what it was meant to be when built.

I can understand fitting HD springs if you're a builder with a boot full of cement and pulling a trailer all day, but otherwise it just sounds a bit dangerous. I drive commercial vehicles most days of all different sizes and obviously these are fitted with HD springs etc and unladen they are simply horrible. At the very least if fitting HD springs then I would have thought the dampers will need uprating to control the extra power of the spring and stop it bouncing everywhere.

That said I am happy to be corrected!

I think the consensus on RWD cars for handling is stiff and low at the front for control, and keep it soft and pliable at the back for traction, Lotus Cortina style?

Correct. Well, correct for a live-axle rwd car anyway.

The 240 has inherently good handling. I would suggest 240 GLT estate springs and uprated shock absorbers all round as a very good basic set-up.

Next stage uprated ARBs.

Good info here:
http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~am...andling_V2.htm

Don't overlook the significant handling effects of wheels, tyres, driver's seat and engine mountings.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 10:50   #10
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default Load blocks

check volvoque.com

they produce load blocks - which are mounted at the bottom of
of the spring.

I have them installed (EASY DO IT YOURSELF)

They serve a good purpose especially for coping with lpg tanks.
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote