Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2001 V40 Diesel no power

Views : 751

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2020, 13:06   #1
lynns hubby
Master Member

Default 2001 V40 Diesel no power

Just replaced the top centre vents on my daughters 2001 V40 2 Ltr diesel.
Obviously I had to remove various bits from centre dash.
Since I changed out the vents, the vehicle has no power. It starts and ticks over fine but when driving it feel as though the turbo is not spooling up. Its just "Gutless". It was absolutely fine before as I drove it round from hers.
I cant for the life of me imagine how removing and refitting a couple of bits of dash has caused this, but appreciate there are members out there with far more knowledge than me.
There are no engine management lights on.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 19:39   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Nothing you've done on the dashboard would have caused this. I guess it's just a coincidence.

Try unplugging the MAF and see if it makes a difference. Other things that can cause this, is blocked EGR or faulty N75 valve, or a burst airhose(intercooler, hose, or turbo inlet hose from airvox etc)

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 10:01   #3
lynns hubby
Master Member

I couldn't see it being anything dash related but you know what its like when its not your car and you have done something and then something else goes wrong !!!!!! Trying to explain it to other people is not easy.
Yesterday I removed both intercooler hoses and the turbo inlet hose. There is definitely no issues there. I did remove the EGR solinoid which is free, the little plunger moves freely against the spring pressure. As you know, the actual EGR valve does not lend itself to being removed easily and as I had no spare I left it in place, however this also moves freely with no issues and was not clogged so I am confident the issue is not with this.
When my daughter brings the car round next, I will try unplugging the MAF.
What is this N75 valve you talk about and where can I find it.
The other thought at the front of my mind is the fuel filter. This was changed in April and I would have expected a slow deterioration in power not just from stopping the engine and then restarting it after completing the vent change.
Thanks for you help
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 11:36   #4
gatos
Premier Member

The N75 valve is the turbo boost control valve mounted at the top of the bulkhead kind of between the fusebox and the turbo. It is the on with a plug going into it and 3 small vacuum lines. If you follow the vacuum line from the top of the turbo, it plugs in to the N75 valve

With regards to fuel filter, it not along since you've replaced it, so not sure. Did you make sure you cleaned the fuel filter housing of all fluids before you put the new filter? Water tends to collect at the bottom.

Nullius in Verba
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 09:34   #5
lynns hubby
Master Member

Just to let you know, it was the Turbo boost control valve. It took a couple of days to get one so only fitted it last night and car is back to normal again😀 Didn’t want to reply until We were sure. Thanks for your help.
The Following User Says Thank You to lynns hubby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 10:49   #6
gatos
Premier Member

Excellent. Nice and easy fix and it didn't break the bank. Glad I could help

Nullius in Verba
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 11:35   #7
lynns hubby
Master Member

£57 inc VAT took some finding! Even Volvo didn’t have a part number. I managed to get a number from the old one and my local factors got one for me.
I used them as if it was wrong they would have took it back😀
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 12:02   #8
P156KWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynns hubby View Post
£57 inc VAT took some finding! Even Volvo didn’t have a part number. I managed to get a number from the old one and my local factors got one for me.
I used them as if it was wrong they would have took it back😀
Do you have a part number available at all? Wondering if it was used in anything else
P156KWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 13:13   #9
lynns hubby
Master Member

I will get it later and let you know. I am sure it is used for VWs and obviously Renault as it’s their engine
Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 17:48   #10
lynns hubby
Master Member

Pat Nos as read from the new part. 7.21903.44
20T220
Sorry for the delay. Been waiting for my daughter to reply with the info.
Hope this helps for anyone else looking. As I said earlier, neither my local dealer or FRF could help with a part number.