Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does it change anything at all?

Views : 3049

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2023, 09:08   #21
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
So why did they decide to install one on the Polestar Engineered model? Makes no sense then.
For looks? 🙂

It’s a 2-ton SUV we’re talking about here, not a Miata or an Alpine A110..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 16:18   #22
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Ok guys. I'll save some money. I'm not going to buy.
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 18:33   #23
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:

But in my car I think it will not do nothing. The strut brace itself in my car will be pointless. I changed my mind. Better to save some money and buy some fuel and drive as someone wrote.

I just wanted to have more connection with the road. I love driving and I love corners and twisted roads. I still ask myself today, why did I buy a Volvo. Good car but... today I wouldn't buy it. And if I did I would probably go to a S60 or V60 Polestar Engineered Models. Not a heavy SUV like XC60. My last Volvo for sure. Even because I'm not enjoying the future path that Volvo is going to. I think Volvo with time will lose their last positive characteristics. Being design one of them (interior and exterior). Pure electrification one also. I mean ending combustion engines. Hybridization also.

But I aimed for 8 years of ownership. My car is from 2019. So more 4 to 5 years with me. Until then I would like to have it as I always wanted so I could have some more fun. But I guess I am just being naive. It's a Volvo. Not a Bmw. Or a Porsche Macan. It is what it is. And I know it. But I thought I could improve some areas. I was wrong... I am about to cry...

I feel destroyed inside... strut brace won't do sh**... 🥺🥹😂
still the same boat feeling when I'm cornering at a certain speed.. and the steering wheel doesn't provide any reality with the road on those moments... it really sucks.

Just my opinion VL. I’d argue that technique is more important than handling upgrades on todays congested roads. Stiffer springs and roll bars are fine if you intend to track a car at the higher speeds involved where you will get the most benefit, but for road use and the speeds I don’t consider them a necessity. There is only one speed to take a corner irrespective of what you are driving, be it a mundane family hatch or some super saloon, and thats the right speed.

I used to have a Focus ST and spent quite a bit on upgrades, re-map, lowering kit, exhaust and stiffer rear roll bar, and it was a joy to drive. Eventually I sold that and bought a Volvo S60 R-Design and can honestly say that too was a joy to drive. My current Cross Country is the most softly sprung car I have ever had, due in part to the longer travel springs, but I love hustling it along the twisty country roads.

To me it’s all about adapting and working with the strengths and weaknesses of whatever you drive. Just enjoy your car for what it is, and maybe look at your driving technique, always something new to learn.

I don’t know if you already have, but a Polestar Optimisation is a good way to transform your car, really improves the drivability
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 19:59   #24
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Ok guys. I'll save some money. I'm not going to buy.
Don’t let us talk you out of it though We all like pimping our rides a bit.. heck, that’s why we’re on car forums If you like the look of it - go for it! I’m just saying don’t expect any real handling benefit from it.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 21:08   #25
OldEngineer

As a suspension engineer I feel compelled to add some comments.

The anti roll bar is significant to the car dynamics but not in how you feel about a car leaning in corners. If you get less lean that doesn't mean it improves the cornering.

The principal reason for the anti roll bar is to keep the tyres in contact with the road. On a front wheel drive car you want the rear bar to be stiff and the front bar to be loose. In this way the front tyres will work better to get you around the corner as both wheels will contribute to the direction change.

If you stiffen up the front bar the inside wheel will reduce it's help in the direction change. The driver will be very pleased with the lack of roll while the car ploughs straight on and into the ditch.

Strut braces are only there to increase the stiffness of the bodyshell. A brace that just joins the two strut towers does almost nothing to improving stiffness. Bracing the towers to the bulkhead is better. But bodyshells twist and loads need to be transferred diagonally. The roof rails and the pillars are where this load moves (not the roof panel which is only there to keep the rain out)
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 23:05   #26
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
(...)
I don’t know if you already have, but a Polestar Optimisation is a good way to transform your car, really improves the drivability
Yes i already have. and remapped 225hp 475 nm
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 23:27   #27
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Don’t let us talk you out of it though We all like pimping our rides a bit.. heck, that’s why we’re on car forums If you like the look of it - go for it! I’m just saying don’t expect any real handling benefit from it.
Yes i understand. But the main point was really to get some benefit in handling. The look? Yes I like the look of it. But under the bonnet? Makes no sense to me, someone that buys a strut brace just because of the look. If it's useless, why spend money on a thing that will be hidden under the bonnet? because of the racing look of it? and then placebo kicks in and someone might think..."ooh man! this car must be really something while cornering..." 😅

For the look I changed my wheels, I went full chrome delete and I will change front grill. I will also change Volvo symbol to the new one of the face-lift model after 22 MY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230410_165728.jpg (389.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20230329_140913.jpg (334.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20230324_214255.jpg (262.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230228_041008_Chrome.jpg (127.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20230328-WA0057.jpg (83.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Apr 16th, 2023 at 23:42.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOL0VER For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 23:33   #28
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEngineer View Post
As a suspension engineer I feel compelled to add some comments.

The anti roll bar is significant to the car dynamics but not in how you feel about a car leaning in corners. If you get less lean that doesn't mean it improves the cornering.

The principal reason for the anti roll bar is to keep the tyres in contact with the road. On a front wheel drive car you want the rear bar to be stiff and the front bar to be loose. In this way the front tyres will work better to get you around the corner as both wheels will contribute to the direction change.

If you stiffen up the front bar the inside wheel will reduce it's help in the direction change. The driver will be very pleased with the lack of roll while the car ploughs straight on and into the ditch.

Strut braces are only there to increase the stiffness of the bodyshell. A brace that just joins the two strut towers does almost nothing to improving stiffness. Bracing the towers to the bulkhead is better. But bodyshells twist and loads need to be transferred diagonally. The roof rails and the pillars are where this load moves (not the roof panel which is only there to keep the rain out)
Thanks for your explanation. So in my case, it will be pointless as everyone said, am I right? I'll save the money then and buy you all a good Oporto wine bottle!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230412_134919.jpg (399.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Apr 16th, 2023 at 23:51.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOL0VER For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 23:47   #29
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
I'll save the money then and buy you all a good Oporto wine bottle!
Now that, to me, sounds like a perfectly reasonable proposition! 😋 To save up on some transport fees - I’ll be in Lisbon last week of May 😁

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 12:50   #30
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Now that, to me, sounds like a perfectly reasonable proposition! 😋 To save up on some transport fees - I’ll be in Lisbon last week of May 😁
don't get me in trouble... 😬😜😅😋