Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360 GLT handbrake.

Views : 1192

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 22:42   #1
tony360GLT

could someone please advise me how to set the handbrake on my 1984 360 GLT,as i think my w/s manual must be wrong.it says pull handbrake up 5-6 notches then adjust,but 5-6 notches makes the lever at about the two aclock position.anybody any ideas?.also what do you other 360GLT owners get in m p g.thanks Tony.
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 22:49   #2
tony360GLT

i cant beleive no one has bothered to help.:(
Old Jan 26th, 2003, 23:15   #3
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Default RE: 360 GLT handbrake.

AFAIK I haven't ever had to adjust the handbrake on my 360. Why do you need to adjust it. Have you done work on the rear brakes. If so, just lubricate the self adjust mechanism, and put it in the start position, ie: shoes fully retracted. Then make sure the ratchet clicks round if you gently prize the rear shoes apart. Refit and put the tyres back on. Keep the handbrake fully off.

Then push and release the brake pedal till the shoes to the correct position. It'll take absolutely ages, and you can't rush it by pumping more quickly. If you listen really carefully you'll hear the ratchets click over as you release the brake pedal. You can't repress the pedal until the ratchet's clicked which takes about 1 second after full release. You'll get a sore right foot, but if you've checked the ratchet is moving, eventually the thing'll come into a position where it takes about 2 to 3 clicks to lock the rear wheels.

If you get to a stage where you're pushing the brake pedal. It feels solid and there's no sign of a click when releasing the pedals. You could maybe get someone else to listen at the back wheels for this. Then and only then can you adjust the handbrake until it locks up at about 3 clicks or so using the adjuster on the handbrake lever underneath the car.
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 20:46   #4
tony360GLT

thanks mate for reply.think cable has stretched a bit in last 19 years and needs a bit of slack taking up.but surely the rear self adjusting mecanism wont do that will it?.by the way what mpg do you get.is your car carb or injection.Thanks again. Tony Crofts.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 05:24   #5
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

My GLE (carb) gets anywhere between 15MPG around town with a heavy right foot and/or mum's overchoking, up to 40+mpg on 60mph me-only motorway runs (which isnt bad for a car of that age & size which can easily double that speed). Check the specs - the hatch is the same length as an equivalent age BMW 3-series, but doesn't look it.

Having said that, it averages 200-250miles on a £35 tank of fuel for my average driving, which is local, hilly driving, often under heavy load (towing/carrying heavy kit, taking car-load of passengers, giving it some boot!). It can do 350 miles on the same fuel on the m-way.

We have had endless trouble with the handbrake - we almost sold the car because mum couldn't engage it enough on the steep hills at home. Its merely 'a bit stiff' for a fit young man like myself, but for an older woman, its quite a struggle. It needs re-adjusting to suit mum every time work is done on the rear brakes. We usually settle on it being on its maximum setting on 4-5 clicks from the bottom, with 2-3 beign sufficient for most scenarios.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 21:04   #6
pettaw
Forum Support Team

It sounds as though you might not be giving enough time for the handbrake adjusting mech to re-adjust itself. I've never had to adjust the handbrake with the adjusting nut. I just get extremely frustrated pumping the footbrake up and down until the thing adjusts itself. For some reason faster pumping only means you pump more times, because the thing takes a second to click over the ratchet upon release of the brake pedal, it always comes in firmly eventually though :)

Andy
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 01:14   #7
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

It has always been done by the garage in the past, but I will mention this to him next time it comes up. Cheers for the info!

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote