Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmission fluid change

Views : 5079

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2020, 04:46   #41
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Hi Bashy,

My gear position sensor wasn't replaced, it was just calibrated in VIDA. Maybe you could give that a try too see if it makes a difference? Presumably, you've replaced the transmission fluid.

Its also worth noting that I replaced the lower torque rod prior to the transmission fluid change, which is near the oil sump on my car (I also replaced the upper torque rod in the engine bay too). The old lower torque rod underneath the car had way too much play because the rubber had perished. I found this out by going underneath the car when it was safely supported & got my Dad to engage the gears whilst I was watching underneath. I could see there was far too much movement, which would explain the jolt I was getting when putting the car in gear.

Since replacing these parts & getting the transmission fluid changed, I've noticed a big difference in terms of harsh shifting & clunking into gear.

I used genuine Volvo parts, but these are pictures of the ones I'm talking about. Your car may be different to mine though. If you see similar parts on your car, I imagine they'll do the same thing (Albeit a different design possibly):

Lower torque rod (This is what Volvo call it, but its referred to as being an engine mount on this website):

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1008...volvo-31277314

Upper torque rod:

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1007...71138-31670126
HI, sorry, i should have been clearer, i meant, i all could find with reference to that sensor is what i found in vida and thats regarding calibrating after a new one has been fitted, i didnt mean you have had one fitted.

I will deffo have a look at the calibration next time im plug in, oh, and i have done the lower torque, it could be that that made things a little smoother as i did it as the 1st job, then did the transmission fluid straight after....|

I cannot find, engine anchorage upper in Vida, but there is an engine anchorage, looks different to your link though
Attached Images
File Type: png Annotation 2020-03-29 044547.png (195.8 KB, 18 views)
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 12:58   #42
Kev0607
Premier Member

Mine is a P3 shape, so it'll be different as aforementioned.

This video might help (It looks similar to yours). Your car has the strut brace going across the top of the engine, the mount in question is underneath that (Numbers 9 & 10 on the diagram you uploaded). The brackets that attach to the mount can be used again, providing yours are in good condition (Number 4 on the diagram, so no need to buy those & 4a looks like a bracket too that can be used again). My upper torque rod cost about £40 from Volvo, but its a different design to yours. However, there's probably cheaper aftermarket alternatives online. If you do go down the aftermarket route, get a decent branded one & not the cheapest one you see because you'll only end up changing it again sooner rather than later if you do.

It should be easy enough to see if the bushes are perished on the existing part & its easy to replace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fonoHb9_4g

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 29th, 2020 at 13:05.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 13:09   #43
rob s80

Hey guys

Looking to get a 10L of the gearbox from the eBay link above but unfortunately the seller won't ship to rep. Of Ireland

Would anybody know of anywhere else to get the same product ?

Thanks !

Hoping to do this as a DIY project myself, in work I have access to garage and mechanics and I also have vida/dice so would like to get this done !
rob s80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 13:33   #44
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob s80 View Post
Hey guys

Looking to get a 10L of the gearbox from the eBay link above but unfortunately the seller won't ship to rep. Of Ireland

Would anybody know of anywhere else to get the same product ?

Thanks !

Hoping to do this as a DIY project myself, in work I have access to garage and mechanics and I also have vida/dice so would like to get this done !
Hi there,

Here's a link to the UK Mannol distributor for a 20L drum of JWS3309 transmission fluid, kindly provided by a forum member called Bashy. You'll have to pay extra for postage to Ireland, which according to the description is £11 on top of the price of the item.
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 13:55   #45
rob s80

Quote:
Hi there,

Here's a link to the UK Mannol distributor for a 20L drum of JWS3309 transmission fluid, kindly provided by a forum member called Bashy. You'll have to pay extra for postage to Ireland, which according to the description is £11 on top of the price of the item.
Hi, I was going to purchase the 10L

I tried to purchase on eBay but it won't actually allow.

Maybe I'll message the seller, he specified northern Ireland and isle of man etc but not republic so will have to find out

Last edited by rob s80; Mar 29th, 2020 at 13:59.
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 17:20   #46
Kev0607
Premier Member

Just buy the 20L drum. There’s not that much difference in price & you’ll have plenty left over for future changes.

The seller linked in my last post definitely delivers to The Republic of Ireland, but for an £11 extra postage fee.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 29th, 2020 at 17:22.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 18:16   #47
rob s80

Quote:
Just buy the 20L drum. There’s not that much difference in price & you’ll have plenty left over for future changes.

The seller linked in my last post definitely delivers to The Republic of Ireland, but for an £11 extra postage fee.
There are savings to be had with the 20L drum, I agree

Unfortunately I don't know how long I'll have this car for. Once the current pandamic is over I'll be beginning to look at a few different things which unfortunately won't involve staying and with this car

I want to do it now anyway though because like other have mentioned, when I shift from P to R or N to D I can feel that little movement. So I'm hoping that changing oil and resetting it will help that.
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 19:51   #48
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Buy it and split it with a fellow AW-box owner
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 22:10   #49
robertsmart

Check eBay for Carlube ATF-U or Comma ASW both are JWS 3309 spec oils.
Old Mar 29th, 2020, 23:43   #50
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob s80 View Post
There are savings to be had with the 20L drum, I agree

Unfortunately I don't know how long I'll have this car for. Once the current pandamic is over I'll be beginning to look at a few different things which unfortunately won't involve staying and with this car

I want to do it now anyway though because like other have mentioned, when I shift from P to R or N to D I can feel that little movement. So I'm hoping that changing oil and resetting it will help that.
A transmission fluid change could help, but check your engine mounts too.