Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Headlight Bulb Changing

Views : 54395

Replies : 109

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 15:34   #31
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Dawe View Post
Just had to change the nearside (left) headlight bulb on my 2005 V70 (dipped Beam, which is the outboard one.
Changed the offside one a couple of months ago, and the scars on my hands have just about faded; so decided to see if there was an easier way to do the nearside one.
Ended up taking the complete air filter airbox out of the car, then bulb changing is easy. Taking the filter box out sounds a bit extreme, but its easy, if you have a socket set.
1) you need to disconnect the air hose from the TOP section of the air filter box (jubilee clip).
2) Disconnect the air flow meter plug from the airbox.
3) undo the three plastic clips that hold the airbox in p[lace.. this is the tricky bit. The clips are each a four pronged clip that locates into the three mounting holes in the airbox supports. On first look, there didnt seem to be an easy way to 'close' the clips, but investigation showed that if you have a 10mm 1/2" drive socket, and a long extension drive, then the socket is just the right size to go over each clip, and with a bit of jiggling about, it will close up the clip enough to enable the airbox to be pulled gently off each clip.
4) once all three clips are released, then the airfilter box can be moved out of the way (you may have to disconnect some of the wiring that's attached to the front of the box, by that I mean disconnect the wiring from its associated clips. The intake air pipe needs to be wriggled off its support under the top of the slam panel.
With the airfilter box out of the way, then bulb changing is relatively easy.
Once finished, asssembly, is as they say, the reverse of the disassembly.
I olnly wish the offside/right side of the car could be made easier, but the box containing the ECU modules seems to be immovable, unless anyone knows different?

Alec
thanks for the write-up - after struggling a while on my 2005 V70, I came inside and did a search - and found this. This procedure worked great for me, with one modification. I found that a 9 mm socket worked better than the 10.

Also, for the passenger side, on mine the plastic case for the ECU does come off, making the low beam bulb much more accessible. The top piece of the case unclips easily. The lower piece has two easily accessible clips on the sides and then one tiny somewhat hidden clip on the front. There are a few wire looms that make removal a bit of a struggle, but it does come off. When you put it back on, be sure to take note of the slots for the ECU units. I am not sure if I could have changed out the bulb without removing the case.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 16:30   #32
henrycrun

BMarked
henrycrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 16:04   #33
rnlisg

Default i still dont bloody believe it!!!

well after assembling mr clonkys kit(and swmbo,s)gloves(bloody pink ones)i still drew blood and it still took half a hour to do the drivers side bulb again,so have now had a very close look at removal of front bumper,and decided that next time this will be the way to go.
sandy
rnlisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 00:00   #34
Pandamedic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlisg View Post
well after assembling mr clonkys kit(and swmbo,s)gloves(bloody pink ones)i still drew blood and it still took half a hour to do the drivers side bulb again,so have now had a very close look at removal of front bumper,and decided that next time this will be the way to go.
sandy
It's what I did.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=134631
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 18:40   #35
RM955I
Premier Member

Default 2005 v70

Well, I've just dug this thread up after having to change my dipped beam bulb.... what a total pain!

I reckon that now I've seen the clips in the flesh I can do it by feel in future having memorised the clip arrangement (no different to most H7s) but the lack of space was a real problem. Not being able to see the clips properly I accidentally popped them out and the only way to get them back was to remove the bumper and the headlight unit.....I won't make the same mistake twice :-(
RM955I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 12:17   #36
gwhite1959
Graham

Default Changing headlamp bulbs

You don't need to remove anything other than the cover. I've done this six times now. The first time it took hours and I lost a lot of skin as per many posters above. Now it doesn't take long.

The way to do it is to locate the plug into the lamp with your fingers and pull it off. You may need to grip the cable as well to get sufficient purchase. Once it is off you need to feel for the top of the spring clip which is above the bulb. You need to push it a towards the front of the car and then to the right (the manual just says push it to the right but it won't go past the retainer if you don't push it a little towards the front of the car (see the pic in the manual). Let the clip drop open naturally. Gently lift the bulb out making sure that it doesn't snag on the clip.

Now put the new bulb in. I've found that it helps to watch it come through the hole in the reflector. You can make sure that it is seated properly - its another finger tip job.

Now lift the spring clip up and locate the retainer and clip back in.

Plug in the connector, and refit the cover.

Now that I know where everything is, it takes about 10 minutes and no skin is lost, although I sometimes wish that I had smaller hands.
gwhite1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 16:48   #37
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

The above is correct

We only Yesterday changed Pauls (s60 Whitelightenin) Headlight bulbs on his S60 (2007 MY)

The Offside, the ECU "Casing" is in 3 parts Lid/sides/Base off with the lid & grab the sides out it comes no probs at all..the Easy peasy to change bulb

the nearside, on Pauls there is a "Plastic "Square" thing (with Bugger all underneath it) Gawd knows whats its for!!!.. out that came & easy peasy to change bulb again..

took NO MORE than 10 Minutes MAX

then we went on to fix the Indicator in the mirror that was "feeling Unwell" (dodgy Connection) ... & our Cup of Tea hadn't even gone COOL by the time we'd finished everything !!!

keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; Sep 10th, 2012 at 16:52.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 22:07   #38
Mikethelaserman

Did the driver's side (the "easy" side) dipped bulb this evening.
I don't believe that it is possible to do the job in less than 20 minutes!
In my case it took more like 30 because I had to -
Fetch a mirror
Go back and find a torch
Go and get long-nosed pliers (because I dropped the new bulb and it rolled under the reflector).
Just getting the electrical connector onto the new bulb took about 10 minutes.

Do the latest V70s have the same magic arrangement as C70s, where you pull out a metal stake and then whole lamp assembly can be pulled out of the car?
Mikethelaserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 22:18   #39
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethelaserman View Post
Did the driver's side (the "easy" side) dipped bulb this evening.
I don't believe that it is possible to do the job in less than 20 minutes!
In my case it took more like 30 because I had to -
Fetch a mirror
Go back and find a torch
Go and get long-nosed pliers (because I dropped the new bulb and it rolled under the reflector).
Just getting the electrical connector onto the new bulb took about 10 minutes.

Do the latest V70s have the same magic arrangement as C70s, where you pull out a metal stake and then whole lamp assembly can be pulled out of the car?
YES !
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 21:01   #40
PeteB1
VOC Member

I succeeded in changing the nearside dipped beam H7 in my 2007 D5 (185) without removing any ancilliaries other than the push-on cover over the airfilter casing. Took about 30 mins, most of this re-connecting the connector to the new bulb.

Previously (twice), I have removed the top of the airfilter box which on this engine variant, necessitates disconnecting an ECU so it was good that I managed to change it without having to do this.

Next time, I'll use a mirror and a piece of outer electric cable covering over the bulb connection spade which should make it easier still to place the new bulb and the connector onto it.

The offside one on this variant is much easier as there is little in the way.