Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Headlight Bulb Changing

Views : 54393

Replies : 109

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2013, 19:42   #51
tonyv70d5

Smile Headlamp (nearside) bulb replacement - Thank You

First, I write to say "Thank You" to the forum for the information on how to replace the nearside dipped bulb. Mine failed yesterday and I had no time to visit a dealer or independent to get the bulb replaced. I did it in 40 minutes but I lost time because the connector onto the new bulb would not fit.
Therefore I had to remove the replacement bulb, trial fit the connector onto the bulb to ensure there was a good fit. Somehow or other there was a tightness which by gentle juggling ensured a fit. I then replaced the new bulb, clipped it into position and the connector slid on and gripped the terminals of the bulb. So my advice is to have a trial fit before clipping the bulb in position.
Also, I found the use of thin surgical type gloves very useful and stopped my hands from be grazed.
Again, "Thank you" to Volvo Owners' Club members for their advice.
tonyv70d5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 14:56   #52
october37

Cool Bulb Replacment

Has anyone tried replacing the small o/s marker light bulb, to the rear of the indicator light on the facelift 05 V70. Theres supposed to be a plastic extension on the bulb holder, (but not on mine) and I would say thats its impossible without removing the whole headlight first. Unless someone knows how to do this from under the bonnet.

Keith.....55reg V70 2.4SE Auto Dawn Blue
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 15:09   #53
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by october37 View Post
Has anyone tried replacing the small o/s marker light bulb, to the rear of the indicator light on the facelift 05 V70. Theres supposed to be a plastic extension on the bulb holder, (but not on mine) and I would say thats its impossible without removing the whole headlight first. Unless someone knows how to do this from under the bonnet.

firstly remove the wash bottle filler , it pulls out after removing one screw , then remove the indicator bulb holder , then spray some fine oil around where the side marker bulb holder fits in and rotate the holder CLOCKWISE about 1/4 turn ( opposit way to what you would expect ! you will need long and strong fingers . maybe you have a teenager with more supple hands and back !
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 12:03   #54
october37

Got as far as removing the washer bottle filler and flasher bulb holder, which was awkward in itself, but cant even see the small marker bulb holder to get at it with the WD40, and my thick fingers have no chance in the very limited space where the bulb holder seems to be, will get a small mirror and extra long nose pliers and try again later.

Keith 55reg V70SE 2.4 Auto
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 12:31   #55
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Got as far as removing the washer bottle filler and flasher bulb holder, which was awkward in itself, but cant even see the small marker bulb holder to get at it with the WD40, and my thick fingers have no chance in the very limited space where the bulb holder seems to be, will get a small mirror and extra long nose pliers and try again later.

Keith 55reg V70SE 2.4 Auto
you should be able to see the grey plastic flat blade about 2 " long which is attached to the bulb holder , just needs turning 1/4 turn clockwise ..
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 15:19   #56
october37

Yes thats right, but there isnt a grey plastic piece on mine, thats where the start of the job is made difficult, but thanks for your advice anyhow.

Keith
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 15:51   #57
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Yes thats right, but there isnt a grey plastic piece on mine, thats where the start of the job is made difficult, but thanks for your advice anyhow.

Keith
someone has broken it off then by trying to turn it anti clockwise .. you could leave them as they are until the other one blows or the headlamp has to come out , they are not mandatory lights ...
Old Dec 14th, 2013, 17:13   #58
xc70jason
Premier Member

Quote:

Hi Keith,Mark (V70Mark) has done a video on this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TXytr0e_kI

I hope it helps.

Jason
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 11:27   #59
october37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
someone has broken it off then by trying to turn it anti clockwise .. you could leave them as they are until the other one blows or the headlamp has to come out , they are not mandatory lights ...
Thats quite true, but I am one of those people who wants everything working as it should. As you say, someone in the cars previous life must have broken the tab off, but sooner or later I will find a solution. The vidio on the later posts is a good help, but the large ECU box cover is very much in the way on my 55reg car and isnt present on the 56reg D5 shown in the demo.

Keith 55reg V70 2.4SE Auto Petrol
Old Dec 15th, 2013, 21:58   #60
RM955I
Premier Member

The tabs also get brittle with age and are surprising fragile if being removed for the first time in years.