Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does this price sound right?

Views : 1855

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2022, 08:40   #21
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Croxley View Post
It makes you wonder how far it will go before it crashes.
It won't.... these prices are here to stay for many years for many reasons which won't go away...

- Inflation pass through on raw materials
- Low registrations for the last 2 years mean the market will be critically short of stock
- More Working From Home means many people are handing back company cars and buying older, second hand models
- Existing leased/PCP cars (company & private) are having leases extended as they haven't reached contracted mileage and/or waiting time for new models
- Higher costs of hybrid and EV models as manufacturers move away from traditional petrol and diesel only models
- Clean Air Zones in major cities hikes demand for early Euro 6 models (2015-2018 MY).

Probably going to get worse before it gets better

I read somewhere yesterday that the best selling vehicle of 2021 was the Ford Transit Connect, sold 10,000 more units than the best selling car (which was the Vauxhall Corsa).
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Jan 28th, 2022 at 08:51.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 15:44   #22
Phil Croxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
It won't.... these prices are here to stay for many years for many reasons which won't go away...

- Low registrations for the last 2 years mean the market will be critically short of stock
- More Working From Home means many people are handing back company cars and buying older, second hand models
- Existing leased/PCP cars (company & private) are having leases extended as they haven't reached contracted mileage and/or waiting time for new models
- Higher costs of hybrid and EV models as manufacturers move away from traditional petrol and diesel only models
- Clean Air Zones in major cities hikes demand for early Euro 6 models (2015-2018 MY).

I read somewhere yesterday that the best selling vehicle of 2021 was the Ford Transit Connect, sold 10,000 more units than the best selling car (which was the Vauxhall Corsa).
In that case I'm really glad I managed to find myself a well looked after low mileage Volvo, hopefully it'll last!
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 16:35   #23
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
In that case I'm really glad I managed to find myself a well looked after low mileage Volvo, hopefully it'll last!
Look after it as per the schedule and it very likely will serve you for many years to come - enjoy!
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 19:07   #24
Phil Croxley

Quote:
Look after it as per the schedule and it very likely will serve you for many years to come - enjoy!
Thank you, I'm really enjoying it. The quality is so much better than my Honda, the seats are just amazing and the driving position is perfect. I'll post some pictures when I've had the bodywork tidied up, it's only cosmetic but it'll bug me if I leave it.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 19:35   #25
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I am glad you enjoy it so much. I bought mine at 68k and it now has 120k on it without a breakdown.

I have serviced it myself. My advice at that milage with full service history is to make sure you get the aux belt done at next service (it’s 54K interval). They are not overly robust and if they do break they can cause a lot of issues.

In addition to ensuring the AUX belt and tensioner os done (Volvo will do it if you continue with them) is also to change the automatic transmission fluid and the AOC fluid. Both of these tasks are modest cost (not cheap but not expensive). Volvo won’t do this as part of your service but it’s generally considered good practice by most (I personally would not rush out to do it at that milage) and also I dip the power steering fluid and top up with fresh each service.

At 120k (hard hard miles also) mine is largely as new and runs perfectly!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 19:37   #26
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:

Whilst I agree with many points I think the fact that so many people are now home based will mean much lower mile longer lasting cars. People won’t have the demand in a few years.

I do however agree that we are probably in for the long haul here given the huge disproportion over 2 years.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 21:16   #27
Phil Croxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I am glad you enjoy it so much. I bought mine at 68k and it now has 120k on it without a breakdown.

I have serviced it myself. My advice at that milage with full service history is to make sure you get the aux belt done at next service (it’s 54K interval). They are not overly robust and if they do break they can cause a lot of issues.

In addition to ensuring the AUX belt and tensioner os done (Volvo will do it if you continue with them) is also to change the automatic transmission fluid and the AOC fluid. Both of these tasks are modest cost (not cheap but not expensive). Volvo won’t do this as part of your service but it’s generally considered good practice by most (I personally would not rush out to do it at that milage) and also I dip the power steering fluid and top up with fresh each service.

At 120k (hard hard miles also) mine is largely as new and runs perfectly!
The auxiliary belt was done at the last service 6 months ago, interestingly, for a car with such low mileage, the aux belt has been replaced 3 times so far according to its history. What is the AOC fluid, it's not an abbreviation I'm familiar with?

Last edited by Phil Croxley; Jan 28th, 2022 at 21:20.
Phil Croxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 12:10   #28
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
What is the AOC fluid, it's not an abbreviation I'm familiar with?
Haldex Active On-demand Coupling. (See link for more information)

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/2259...1367941-140812
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 08:44   #29
Phil Croxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Haldex Active On-demand Coupling. (See link for more information)

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/2259...1367941-140812
Thank you!