Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First time DIY... all did NOT go to plan!

Views : 28532

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 05:51   #11
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post
I've not tried the pipe wrench - it only turned up today. But ITSv40 is right - I'm not sure it will easily fit on, I've struggled with clearance on small vice grips. There's very little depth and if not careful you can scrape the surface of the sump above, as the plug is just recessed lightly into it. I've got a 10-inch pipe wrench now but looking at it, I don't see it fitting without scraping against the sump protruding above the plug. Apologies I've not taken any photos of any of this yet.

I might get back under the car again tomorrow if it stops raining as my new undertray has arrived from Sweden (my car's not had one the whole time I've owned it, I suppose some previous mechanic threw it away). I'd like to get that on ASAP as being under the car has made me appreciate how exposed the sump is. I had to run over a large piece of hard plastic in the middle of a B-road on Exmoor a few weeks back; there was nowhere to go and running over it about 45mph but slowing it whipped up and made a right thump against the underside. That incident prompted me to add the undertray to my FRF order.

Thanks for all the suggestions but I'm not going to touch the plug again before the trip, too risky in case I pull the pan threads out. I've already been using six-point sockets but the plug was too rounded to begin with for them to work. Now it's chewed up and useless with regular sockets so those options are out. I don't even have buying an impact as an option as it's not going to fit tightly on. If I try again I'll jack the car up as high as possible, try and get a twist socket on with some more aggressive tapping, and use a breaker bar again.

James
Hi James,
What a calamity. I think you have to fix it though - it will wake you during the night if you don't (even though using an extraction pump may work perfectly well for years).
If the bolt is rounded now, I suppose you can be as aggressive as you like. Hammer on a twist socket as far as it will go then use your breaker bar and a 4' length of fence post. Remember: lefty loosy.
If that doesn't work then weld either a bigger nut on (use an arc welder and fill up the middle of the nut) - the heat from the welding will help loosen the bolt as well. I've done this one myself a few times and it has worked - although generally on bikes where everything is more exposed - and never on a sump plug.
Good fortune,
Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 1st, 2021 at 05:51. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: