Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First time DIY... all did NOT go to plan!

Views : 28529

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2021, 05:51   #41
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmiont View Post
I've not tried the pipe wrench - it only turned up today. But ITSv40 is right - I'm not sure it will easily fit on, I've struggled with clearance on small vice grips. There's very little depth and if not careful you can scrape the surface of the sump above, as the plug is just recessed lightly into it. I've got a 10-inch pipe wrench now but looking at it, I don't see it fitting without scraping against the sump protruding above the plug. Apologies I've not taken any photos of any of this yet.

I might get back under the car again tomorrow if it stops raining as my new undertray has arrived from Sweden (my car's not had one the whole time I've owned it, I suppose some previous mechanic threw it away). I'd like to get that on ASAP as being under the car has made me appreciate how exposed the sump is. I had to run over a large piece of hard plastic in the middle of a B-road on Exmoor a few weeks back; there was nowhere to go and running over it about 45mph but slowing it whipped up and made a right thump against the underside. That incident prompted me to add the undertray to my FRF order.

Thanks for all the suggestions but I'm not going to touch the plug again before the trip, too risky in case I pull the pan threads out. I've already been using six-point sockets but the plug was too rounded to begin with for them to work. Now it's chewed up and useless with regular sockets so those options are out. I don't even have buying an impact as an option as it's not going to fit tightly on. If I try again I'll jack the car up as high as possible, try and get a twist socket on with some more aggressive tapping, and use a breaker bar again.

James
Hi James,
What a calamity. I think you have to fix it though - it will wake you during the night if you don't (even though using an extraction pump may work perfectly well for years).
If the bolt is rounded now, I suppose you can be as aggressive as you like. Hammer on a twist socket as far as it will go then use your breaker bar and a 4' length of fence post. Remember: lefty loosy.
If that doesn't work then weld either a bigger nut on (use an arc welder and fill up the middle of the nut) - the heat from the welding will help loosen the bolt as well. I've done this one myself a few times and it has worked - although generally on bikes where everything is more exposed - and never on a sump plug.
Good fortune,
Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 1st, 2021 at 05:51. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 07:24   #42
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I've done this one myself a few times and it has worked - although generally on bikes where everything is more exposed - and never on a sump plug.
I've had the misfortune to need to do it on sump plugs before - can confirm it works
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 15:25   #43
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
I've not tried the pipe wrench - it only turned up today. But ITSv40 is right - I'm not sure it will easily fit on, I've struggled with clearance on small vice grips. There's very little depth and if not careful you can scrape the surface of the sump above, as the plug is just recessed lightly into it. I've got a 10-inch pipe wrench now but looking at it, I don't see it fitting without scraping against the sump protruding above the plug. Apologies I've not taken any photos of any of this yet.

I might get back under the car again tomorrow if it stops raining as my new undertray has arrived from Sweden (my car's not had one the whole time I've owned it, I suppose some previous mechanic threw it away). I'd like to get that on ASAP as being under the car has made me appreciate how exposed the sump is. I had to run over a large piece of hard plastic in the middle of a B-road on Exmoor a few weeks back; there was nowhere to go and running over it about 45mph but slowing it whipped up and made a right thump against the underside. That incident prompted me to add the undertray to my FRF order.

Thanks for all the suggestions but I'm not going to touch the plug again before the trip, too risky in case I pull the pan threads out. I've already been using six-point sockets but the plug was too rounded to begin with for them to work. Now it's chewed up and useless with regular sockets so those options are out. I don't even have buying an impact as an option as it's not going to fit tightly on. If I try again I'll jack the car up as high as possible, try and get a twist socket on with some more aggressive tapping, and use a breaker bar again.

James
good call on re-fitting the under tray, esp when you look @ the right side of the engine and see how close the belts are to the wheel well/road surface, easier for them to have a"oppsie" with flung up debris than the sump !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 19:44   #44
ilmiont
VOC Member

Well the oil extractor failed to arrive despite it reaching the local DO two miles away by lunchtime and being scheduled for delivery... then cancelled a couple of hours later. Annoying thing is I was actually near the DO so theoretically could have picked it up although not sure it would have been possible if it was waiting for a van. Didn't happen anyhow.

I've put the undertray on for piece of mind though. I can see why they get discarded; it wasn't the best of experiences but will probably seem better next time. Note for the future: fit the centre screw first! I got the other six in then found it was somehow slightly misaligned and the centre one would not go into position.

I also found the threads very stiff to begin with - having been exposed to the elements for who knows how long in the absence of the undertray, they'd acquired some grime and a little rust in some cases. Got the worst off and they were OK once they got moving.

Pre-holiday status then:

- No oil change I suppose in the scheme of things doing what will be about 10-12k on the same oil isn't too bad and still better than many cars see, but not what I'm really comfortable with for long-term health based on the colour change observed over the past couple of thousand miles.
- Tank filled, but with E10. I can't really be choosey in the present circumstances and am optimistic we'll find some premium grade once further north. As tomorrow's mostly a motorway day I'll just be happy I've got something to run on, I know that's more than some unfortunate people this week.
- Undertray fitted for the first time in who knows how long. Sump and belts protected on what looks like it could be a very wet day.

The sump plug saga may resume later in the month. A neighbour has offered to lend me a blow torch. I don't know that I trust myself to try that!

Photos of the plug as it is today

(notice how the sump bulges out directly above the plug - there is limited clearance for vice grips or a pipe wrench without scraping it, which I don't want to do)

The head was rounded the first time I got under the car, now it's really rounded and gnarled by vice grips and twist sockets.

Undertray fitted

Attached Images
File Type: jpg d1eli.jpg (274.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg r2sim.jpg (273.5 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg rv1a6.jpg (62.2 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by ilmiont; Oct 1st, 2021 at 19:52.
ilmiont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilmiont For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 20:35   #45
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Looking at that, i'd be seriously tempted to drill it centrally, drain out the oil then use an Ezi-Out to remove it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221677188010

Basically a tap with a coarse left hand thread, as you wind them in it starts turning the fastener that's stuck anti-clockwise to remove it.

If you don't fancy that idea, i'd go with the hammer and cold chisel method to tap it round anti-clockwise as viewed.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 21:11   #46
TeamG
Master Member

Has worked for me in the past. The hardest bit is getting the stud remover out of the sump plug.

This was a nasty V50 Allen key sump plug, screwed up by the dealer when I bought it and they changed the oil first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8633D8B6-1278-4A1A-A403-8BDD3046B19F.jpeg (43.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg 3F8ACDA1-5E23-402E-BCEF-1C089AD3CA5F.jpeg (88.9 KB, 28 views)
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 21:25   #47
ITSv40
VOC Member

As Dave above says ^^^^^^^

To be honest I was expecting it to look a lot worse than it does. The sump is like new and the plug flange and washer are sitting square and undamaged. I think when it finally comes loose - by whichever method - you will find it will come undone and leave the sump threads undamaged.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 23:47   #48
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Well the oil extractor failed to arrive despite it reaching the local DO two miles away by lunchtime and being scheduled for delivery... then cancelled a couple of hours later. Annoying thing is I was actually near the DO so theoretically could have picked it up although not sure it would have been possible if it was waiting for a van. Didn't happen anyhow.

I've put the undertray on for piece of mind though. I can see why they get discarded; it wasn't the best of experiences but will probably seem better next time. Note for the future: fit the centre screw first! I got the other six in then found it was somehow slightly misaligned and the centre one would not go into position.

I also found the threads very stiff to begin with - having been exposed to the elements for who knows how long in the absence of the undertray, they'd acquired some grime and a little rust in some cases. Got the worst off and they were OK once they got moving.

Pre-holiday status then:

- No oil change I suppose in the scheme of things doing what will be about 10-12k on the same oil isn't too bad and still better than many cars see, but not what I'm really comfortable with for long-term health based on the colour change observed over the past couple of thousand miles.
- Tank filled, but with E10. I can't really be choosey in the present circumstances and am optimistic we'll find some premium grade once further north. As tomorrow's mostly a motorway day I'll just be happy I've got something to run on, I know that's more than some unfortunate people this week.
- Undertray fitted for the first time in who knows how long. Sump and belts protected on what looks like it could be a very wet day.

The sump plug saga may resume later in the month. A neighbour has offered to lend me a blow torch. I don't know that I trust myself to try that!

Photos of the plug as it is today

(notice how the sump bulges out directly above the plug - there is limited clearance for vice grips or a pipe wrench without scraping it, which I don't want to do)

The head was rounded the first time I got under the car, now it's really rounded and gnarled by vice grips and twist sockets.

Undertray fitted

options for When you get that out
http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/oil-drain-valve/
http://www.sumpplug.co.uk/
https://www.ezoilchangevalve.com/volvo.html

still going to Possibly need to remove the under tray to use those
may not be to your liking
Does avoid the whole "sump plug" issue much like the vac extractors
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 00:00   #49
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
options for When you get that out
http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/oil-drain-valve/
http://www.sumpplug.co.uk/
https://www.ezoilchangevalve.com/volvo.html

still going to Possibly need to remove the under tray to use those
may not be to your liking
Does avoid the whole "sump plug" issue much like the vac extractors
I've used similar on generator engines Andy and in that application they're great, especially with extension hoses pre-fited with the valve at the end near you.

However what's always bothered me for road use is the amount of speed humps and the fact that these valves hang down below the sump.

On my recent MoT i noticed a couple of scuff marks on the fron crossmember of my 760, the sump plug on it is only ~1/2" above the level of the bottom of the crossmember.

If i'd had one of those valves fitted i would have probably ripped it off whenever i scuffed the crossmember!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 02:31   #50
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've used similar on generator engines Andy and in that application they're great, especially with extension hoses pre-fited with the valve at the end near you.

However what's always bothered me for road use is the amount of speed humps and the fact that these valves hang down below the sump.

On my recent MoT i noticed a couple of scuff marks on the fron crossmember of my 760, the sump plug on it is only ~1/2" above the level of the bottom of the crossmember.

If i'd had one of those valves fitted i would have probably ripped it off whenever i scuffed the crossmember!
i Hear that

stahlbus® oil drain valve

Fits ala , with its dust/dirt cover in place

and the extention tube is a "fit to drain" item rather than "fitted to the car"

fitting as it does, With a "dirt cover" Should be "speed hump/lovely road surface safe"

https://youtu.be/eaaT5a13xY8[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/eaaT5a13xY8[/YOUTUBE]
manuf Video

agree the "tap" shape ones , esp with the "lift to drain" lever May not be the best idea given the "lovely" state of the roads
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: