Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rust: Ford vs Volvo

Views : 2264

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2022, 16:13   #21
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I remember my father buying a secondhand Austin A35 van in the mid '60's from a reputable local garage. It was immaculate when purchased but 12 months later the sills were falling apart. They had been repaired with a row of baked bean tins lying along the bottom of the sills, covered in wet newspaper and body filler on top of that.
Standard problem, standard fix of the time
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 16:18   #22
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I remember my father buying a secondhand Austin A35 van in the mid '60's from a reputable local garage. It was immaculate when purchased but 12 months later the sills were falling apart. They had been repaired with a row of baked bean tins lying along the bottom of the sills, covered in wet newspaper and body filler on top of that.
one up from the weetabix+chicken wire found on some cars,,bodyfiller + stone chip paint to cover the "texture",,

Generally you dont see "rusty" cars as people Change them a lot faster than they used to
back then owning a car for 10+ years was common
with the lease/finance/rental crap thats "the norm" now 2-3 years and shift it on means a lot more "newer" cars on the road
mix in the "its got 80k on the clock its dead" mentality of the morons,, and perfectly good cars are getting scrapped due to dumb mental attitudes of the masses.

those that Keep the same car for more than 5 years get derided by the masses as "its old its crap"
those of us who keep the Same car for 10 years,,

manuf's design the cars to fail after X years, they Want the new car sales more than spare part sales, ,,,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 17:35   #23
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post

those that Keep the same car for more than 5 years get derided by the masses as "its old its crap"
those of us who keep the Same car for 10 years,,
I never understand this mentality.

The whole point of a vehicle is transportation. Surely the most important point about a vehicle is it's reliability.

I wonder, for those people who ridicule others for owning an "Old banger" etc, would those same people refuse a lift home in an old banger if they had to walk 10 miles in torrential rain? I highly doubt it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 18:06   #24
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
I never understand this mentality.

The whole point of a vehicle is transportation. Surely the most important point about a vehicle is it's reliability.

I wonder, for those people who ridicule others for owning an "Old banger" etc, would those same people refuse a lift home in an old banger if they had to walk 10 miles in torrential rain? I highly doubt it.
Correct…… However, it’s a status symbol that we can use to out do our fellow human. My box on wheels is better than your box on wheels because blah blah blah etc.
The best car on the road is the one that doesn’t breakdown no matter who it’s manufactured by.

TT
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 20:01   #25
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

'T.T.' is correct (post #24 above). A car is seen by many as a status symbol. This has been actively encouraged by HMG and the motor industry since 1963 with the introduction of the year identifier on the registration plate. Remember the queues at midnight on December 31st (later, July 31st) to drive your brand new car out of the dealer's showroom - and the subsequent newspaper reports of the first accident / breakdown.

The type of 'repair' described by 'ITSv40' on an A35 (post #20 above) was prolific on early monocoques. I grew up with such cars and saw it on many others as well as the Austin - typically Ford 100Es and Standard 8s and 10s. Earlier cars, like the 'sit-up-and beg' Ford Pop had a 'proper' chassis' where the condition of the bodywork, not being structural, was much less critical and would need to be flapping in the wind to attract the attention of a passing Police patrol.

Cars of the period often required servicing at 1000 mile intervals, a top overhaul at 10,000 and a full one at 30. Would we accept that today - I don't think so! A selling point was the fitting of a Gold Seal (reconditioned) engine on a used car. Modern mechanics are (generally) much more reliable.

We've already considered corrosion, the subject of this thread, and, I think, would generally agree that cars are much better made today than previously.

Today, I think, the Achilles' Heel of cars is electronics. Heat and vibration are anathema to computers, yet what do we do - drive around with half a dozen under the bonnet! A major electronic failure can render an ageing car beyond economic repair and has spelt the end for many an otherwise serviceable motor-car.

Built-in obsolescence is alive and well!

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Jan 18th, 2022 at 20:03.
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 20:23   #26
The Thong
VOC Member

The two motors that’s never given me any issues in the three years I owned em was a Ford KA Collection and a Peugeot 206 diesel van. I’ve had a lot of different makes of cars and vans. The KA’s were rot boxes unfortunately, I didn’t keep mine long enough for rust to become an issue

TT
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 21:21   #27
Black dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
Correct…… However, it’s a status symbol that we can use to out do our fellow human. My box on wheels is better than your box on wheels because blah blah blah etc.
The best car on the road is the one that doesn’t breakdown no matter who it’s manufactured by.

TT
Ive always had the view my box on wheels is better than most other boxes on wheels because they were paid for before I bring them home!
Old Jan 18th, 2022, 22:55   #28
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black dog View Post
Ive always had the view my box on wheels is better than most other boxes on wheels because they were paid for before I bring them home!
Fair comment. Saying that, it’s our love of our four wheeled boxes that keeps em interesting but times are a changing and cars are becoming another appliance in the household. I like a car that’s a bit different and spend hours cleaning it. It’s an interesting mindset where people will bash a motor around that’s tens of thousands of pounds around and call it wear and tear. That same person will kick up holy hell if a ten quid item in the house gets dropped and broken on the floor.

TT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 00:09   #29
Black dog

Very true. And the other mystery is how they justify many hundreds for a phone and designer clothing yet when the car need anything like a set of tyres it's the end of the world.
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 15:43   #30
Bendolfc
Premier Member

My S40 was rust free at 16 years old with 220K on the clock. Hoping that Merc had sorted out their rust issues by 2016 as I replaced it with a late S212. Earlier ones are notorious for subframe rot. Hoping it lasts another 10 years....
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote