Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Number Plates

Views : 1016

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2022, 17:56   #11
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Even "show plates" are hard to come by now.

There never was any exemption in the law for "show plates", and in recent years a few suppliers have been prosecuted and heaviliy fined.

As a consequence you can still order show plates, but genuinely for show use only, such as car names, slogans, etc. If it looks like a genuine registration number then very, very few suppliers will make them us as "show plates" any more.
Now, I'm not saying your wrong but the very first site that came up was,

https://www.platesforcars.co.uk/mobile/faq.html

"The legal details are a legal requirement for all number plates in the UK, and display the makers name, postcode and the British Standard. For this reason the legal details are a default option, but you can deselect the Legal Details and nothing will be printed to your number plates if so required. "

Which would imply that they're quite happy to sell plates that are, in fact, not legal for that there road use.
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 08:37   #12
dockot
Maturing Member

I used plates for cars recently for two rear plates for trailer and bike carrier, came from Dublin, colour fine . Did not need V5! Halfords ones are fine and use aluminium.
dockot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 11:16   #13
ITSv40
VOC Member

I have plates4cars plates on all my cars. All legal and no fuss at purchase. 7 years, 6 years and 5 years on all still good and as they were fitted.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 16:02   #14
jasons6930

Plates4cars do seem to give you the choice of having legal details printed on them or not.

I just designed a standard set with a black border and the legal details and it prints them in the bottom right hand corner just above the border so it is a complete line around the plate, rather than the words sat in line and breaking the continuity of it.
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 17:21   #15
Nick04

Although not the cheapest solution, I used Halfords for mine £43 fitted. They use aluminium plates, where most other places I looked were plastic or metal. Nothing wrong with the latter two, but just thought aluminium would be the most suitable option.
Nick04 is offline   Reply With Quote