Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

One costly stunt.....and lesson!

Views : 939

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2010, 09:08   #1
'88740GL

Default One costly stunt.....and lesson!

As many of you know, my volvo i bought with a cracked back window, a rusthole where the recess top corner of the window lies had pressed against the glass and caused it to crack long before i bought it....anyways, i wanted to replace the glass BUT i was getting stupid quotes so i left it, and filled the hole with a body filler, not before i used kurust which kills and primes rusted areas.

Anyways, that was a month ago... this week just gone i foolishly shot around the corner and with the road being wet, the front of the car went into the corner, but the rear end had other ideas! so i drifted around the corner and fishtailed down the remainder of the road (all this doing 30mph!)

It was a unexpected adrenaline rush, and my gf was less impressed to say the least, but i gain control of the car very quickly.

Later that night i noticed that now the outside panel of glass on the rear window has cracked more or less along the lines of the crack on the inside...i'm thinking the twisting action of that stunt killed the window....so anyways i need to change it now..here are my quotes:

Autoglass - £495!!!!!!!! What...the..hell!?!

a few other yellow pages autoglass companies quoted the same if not more...

a few said the 'laminated' glass is very hard to get and theres two types, laminated and shatter glass (safety) and the safety glass cannot be found.

another said it will have to come from leicester......

and another company gave me a quote for £250...fitted too! Now, thats more like it!

My lesson learnt? Never buy a volvo with a cracked window!, and also to insure my windscreen and glass on my next insurance quote..now its down to £1400 TFT...
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 18:53   #2
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Why not see if an independent windscreen fitter would fit a s/h one from a scrappy? Could work out a lot cheaper again.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 19:06   #3
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace View Post
Why not see if an independent windscreen fitter would fit a s/h one from a scrappy? Could work out a lot cheaper again.

Mike
Hi, oh i did..they found one....could have it by wednesday...wanted to charge £470!!! what the hell! theres no way i'm paying £470 quid to someone to take a window out the back of a car! There was a company who told me he could get one for me for 80 quid, but hasnt phoned me back yet...

I'm beginning to think that it would be easier to find windows for titanic before i find one for mine! haha
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 19:16   #4
john h
VOC Member

You could save a lot by finding a window in a scrap car yourself, removing it and cleaning it up. I'm guessing that a scrappy would charge say £50 for the glass if you do the work.

You could also remove the rear screen from your own car, again saving money and allowing you to fix the rust issue while it's out.

Then just pay a glass fitter to install it for you.

There is time involved in all the above... which is precisely why it costs a lot if someone else does the work!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 20:22   #5
Chris740R
Premier Member

Assuming you have an estate and you're talking about the tailgate window, you can save even more money and time by just replacing the entire tailgate complete with glass.
Chris740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 20:39   #6
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris740R View Post
Assuming you have an estate and you're talking about the tailgate window, you can save even more money and time by just replacing the entire tailgate complete with glass.

Nope, its the saloon model i have.
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 21:12   #7
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Ring your insurance company, get glass coverage for a 20 quid or so, two weeks later, would you believe it, some little **** has cracked your window! Doesn't affect your no claims, and the excess is usually never more than £100.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 08:22   #8
Jim760
Mr G

the rear windows on saloons are laminated like the windscreens.. get glass cover as mentioned and claim for it. thats if you cant find one ina breakers or off the forum
940 GL 850 GL 760 TIC V70 Torslanda
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote