Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to alloys...is this right??

Views : 2032

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2010, 18:41   #1
'88740GL

Default New to alloys...is this right??

Hello guys, i've just got the purchase of the year..... 2 pirelli's and 2 firestones with 7mm of tread on them...on alloys.....dont know the names of them....AND 3 avon tyres on steel rims...ALL for £75!!! Had to pick them up from doncaster so it was a 5 hour drive in total and i had got 'em!

The alloys were pretty mucky so i spent the best part of 3 hours cleaning them with hot soapy water and 2 pan scrubs, i need to get the corners clean in the nooks and crannies properly..*like when the weather stops p****ng down on me.

The thing is the way they sit on the car, the centre bearing cap, they dont push all the way home like they did on the steel rims...

heres some pictures:

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/.../Photo0515.jpg

Notice how it doesnt fit all the way onto the centre cap? is that right?

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/.../Photo0514.jpg

This is the front one too

Looking loads better already!

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/.../Photo0516.jpg

Let me know what you think guys,

Secondly i need to get the cover caps for the centre too the guy is in the process of moving house, so he cant find them at the moment.
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 18:55   #2
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Mmmm, dos'nt look quite right. Could be wrong but, are they not the type of wheels that are usually held in with bolts rather than your nuts!
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 19:09   #3
Jim760
Mr G

tge nuts are wrong, if you used the ones off yur car originally they will have been for steel wheels only. you can really mess alloys up with them nuts. you need proper alloy wheel nuts for them
940 GL 850 GL 760 TIC V70 Torslanda
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 19:17   #4
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim760 View Post
tge nuts are wrong, if you used the ones off yur car originally they will have been for steel wheels only. you can really mess alloys up with them nuts. you need proper alloy wheel nuts for them
I didn't know that. I have the same 'Aries' alloys as the OP but I didn't use different nuts when changing from steel to alloy. So what's the worst that could happen?
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 19:27   #5
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

Nah, I've looked at the parts lists and there is only one nut listed for all wheel types. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 20:44   #6
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim760 View Post
Whats the worst that can happen? are there any safety issues? i can only use nuts as the bolts are on my disks all round if its a case of scoring the inside of the alloy then thats not a problem, they were cheap enough anyways plus when the cap goes on no one will know any better, right?
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 00:58   #7
treehorndogsbody
VOC Member

Default Nutz

Be they right or wrong the alloys look very neat on the car.
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 01:04   #8
'88740GL

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehorndogsbody View Post
Be they right or wrong the alloys look very neat on the car.
Thank you treehorndogsbody, i was just worried when they didnt push onto the centre wheel bearing dust cap as fully as the steel rims did. The old tyres were ok'ish but i wouldnt chance my life on them, they were all hair line cracking and the rims were rusting and going flaky... Reckon it was an mot failure right there but its a shame, they were all continentals with at least 6mm of tread on all of them :-( what a shame

I'm not too sure about the balancing weights on the viewable side of the alloys though....never mind!!
Old Sep 30th, 2010, 08:24   #9
les g Swaffer
les g swaffer

Not sure but I think the steel nuts will cause the alloy's to crack .
I had to change the bolts If I had to put the spare on by last car that had alloy's on .as the spare was steel
les g Swaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 12:24   #10
Dr. Rog
Master Member

Default nuts

I think I understand what you mean.

Nice wheels. I have some from my GLE and they will go on the new car when the currently fitted tyres wear out.

Your nuts are rusty so replacement is a good idea. The inner face of the nut should be tapered the same angle as the wheel, try this off the car. If its a neat fit its OK. Your nuts look the same as mine so I think they are OK.

If you think the wheel is not "home" flat against the mounting face then that is an issue, You should not have to force it at all. Is there a build up of rust on the spigot (mounting diameter)? if so scrub it off.

Its worth noting that the alloys are very thick, so the bearing should not protrude through. Also the taper of the nuts aligns the wheel as well, more acurately than a clearance spigot. So make sure there is no bent studs and they are the right pitch.

Good luck.

Previously owned 1996 940 SE auto and GLE manual, both B230FK estates.
Dr. Rog is offline   Reply With Quote