Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oh no!, not again!

Views : 1784

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2011, 15:42   #11
zetor160

3/4 socket..hmmm - I like your style..!!
zetor160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 16:58   #12
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A View Post
I remove the sump plugs on my cars with a suitable 3/4" socket attached to a big breaker bar. Effortless, no matter how tight they are, and no skinned knuckles
Its a big drain plug...its an inch!
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 17:39   #13
amaz'in

I'm certain 10w40 is the oil for B230 series...on my 15th Volvo now....although I put 15w40 in the Amazon..

0/50 etc is certainly like water...thats for the modern engines..mostly around 2005 onwards...but with only 40k on the clock..you should need 15w40 for another 100k.

The larger number is the temp once hot....so the thinner oil doesnt get thinner when hot as such.. first number is cold viscosity..second number is Hot... so a 0/50 oil and a 15/50 oil have the same viscosity once warmed up....but a quite different when cold.

My 96 940 uses 10/40 (or written 10w40) and has now done 188,000..still doesnt burn any oil...

However...you would possibly use 15/40 if in very hot conditions...maybe Florida...saudi...or under more demanding performace conditions...

In cold weather..you want the 10/40 even more so...

J
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 17:55   #14
scapa
I've Been Banned

Im not that fasr from you you can borrow my tools if you wish no crap all stahlwille /snap on /britool etc, got a nice big 3/4 snap on breaker bar that will sort it
scapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 20:32   #15
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapa View Post
Im not that fasr from you you can borrow my tools if you wish no crap all stahlwille /snap on /britool etc, got a nice big 3/4 snap on breaker bar that will sort it
Thanks, thats a very kind gesture, i shall keep that in mind!
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 21:16   #16
MTerry
Bored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monman View Post
I had the same problem changing my oil, some numpty overtightening the sump plug. I ended up lending a stilson wrench off a plumber mate of mine.

Remember if possible to fit a new washer to the sump plug.
This is what I do. I keep it handy and if I need it it's there. I also have a large breaker bar with a socket end. It's pretty much eliminated the need for the stilson.
Gloria - '93 244 in Ruby Red Metallic
Sandy Blu - '07 C70, Celestial Blue
MTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 21:37   #17
johnjp
Master Member

I do my oil change with this (which is what many garages do these days)-
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=p...ed=0CCoQzAMwAA
Simples!
johnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 21:39   #18
johnjp
Master Member

And you can change auto trans fluid, brake fluid, pas fluid etc.
It`s so easy it`s almost a pleasure to do the job more frequently.
johnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 21:43   #19
Choc

If you need more leverage, slip a big ring spanner on the end of the ratchet and you've got about twice the distance so twice the force.

Giving the head of the drain plug a few taps with a hammer can help to loosen threads sometimes. It also shows the car who's boss and that you're not afraid to come back, Basil Fawlty style, and give it a good whipping with a branch
Choc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 22:36   #20
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Red face Other side of the coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by '88740GL View Post
I attempted to do an oil change yesterday, i went out on my travels and bought my usual (15W/40 Semi synthetic) and i had a genuine volvo oil filter at hand, on my back on a thin wad of cardboard in the slush, got my wrench socket set, (more precise my dads, he hardly uses them)......

Could i get that sump plug to move? Did i heck, i decided then to give up rather than slip and crack a knuckle on something sharp underneath my car, so swearing and growling, getting out of now diry clothes, i put everything away into the shed,

......remembering that the first time i wanted to do an oil change, i did the same, bought the oil and the filter etc....only finding out that i could change the oil..... i had to take it all to my mechanics who happily changed the oil, used my oil and filter i'd bought, then i requested him to fit 4 new plugs....he charged £40!! in total.. pure labour charge!

I'm sure a sump plug shouldn't be torqued down any tighter than hand tight with a ring spanner....the washer on it should do the rest.....instead mechanics like to overly use their impact air wrench and torque 'em down to probably 300 ft.lb!!

so now i'll have to find a small plan or pay £30-40 to someone to do a job that i can do for fun....

**my dads tools aren't very varied, just a load of metric and imperial open and ring spanners, a few pliers, pinch grips, mole wrench and monkey wrench, spark gap feeler gauges and a load of metric and imperialo sockets....
I always put the sump plug in tight, for safetys sake, but i never realised how tight untill i had to undo one that i put on a Triumph Diff 17 years before during a restoration.
So i did the bathroom scales squeeze test , we could all get the pair in the workshop "round the clock to 20 stone" by squeezing it with our hands, holding it like a steering wheel, now after 12 years of retirement from t' trade i tried today with my ikea digital ones, and managed a very sad 14st or 90kg.
What i am saying is i now have begun to know what pen pushers feel like .
Diesel-do-nicely is offline   Reply With Quote