Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Whats with the clutch?

Views : 1007

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2011, 09:00   #1
'88740GL

Question Whats with the clutch?

Hello all, i'm writing this on behalf of an old neighbour who has 2 little problems with his 740.. his is an E/F reg saloon in a tired looking champagne color, with 89,000 miles on the clock, the block says B200 and its a K-Jet setup, so B200E,

The old guy said that when he tries to take off in first gear, it goes, but more or less everytime on the take up of the bite, the car begins forward as it should, then around halfway through letting the clutch out fully, it judders or shudders, (almost as if you aren't giving it enough gas and wants to stall...I've had a go and it does just how i've described, i tried giving it more gas and it still judders, sometimes not as much, but it still does it..

I even tried letting the clutch out slowly, slipping it whilst taking off in first gear..and i get a muffled screech or groan for a second or two as the clutch bites in... I've only had that on a 1999 vauxhall corsa, with the diesel engine with a horrid cable adjusted clutch (i literally had to take the slack out of the cable every week it stretched that much!!!)

This car selects gears very easily, doesnt jump out of any nor grind, once you get going all the rest of the gear changes are smooth as you like..

its just the initial load on the clutch to get the car moving.. i know the 2.0 is 'underpowered' for the size of the car but these cars can pull horseboxes and caravans. haha (owner has told me he has done no such towing with the car in the 4 years of owning..

Is he clutch buggered? That news will make his day.. haha

P.S the clutch bites in around 2-1/2 3 inches from the floor up seems ok..
'88740GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 09:32   #2
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Clutch pressure plate and / or flywheel is warped, or has high spots, same idea as brake judder, replacing the clutch will more than likely cure it, but it may need a wee skim off the flywheel too

Just thinking, oil can also cause this problem, if the rear seal is leaking, there could be oil on the clutch disc

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 10:05   #3
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Clutch pressure plate and / or flywheel is warped, or has high spots, same idea as brake judder, replacing the clutch will more than likely cure it, but it may need a wee skim off the flywheel too

Just thinking, oil can also cause this problem, if the rear seal is leaking, there could be oil on the clutch disc

Sounds like he's had overheating? pfft clutch riders...

Which seal (i know you said the rear) Do you mean the engine block to bellhousing seal, or the gearbox to bellhousing seal? Possibly the crankcase seal?

all these seals..

His other problem is a mysterious water leak into the boot area (Saloon) It looked like condensation, but he had the boot open and aired it out, dried up the underside of the boot lid, waxed it too...(my recommendation) but it keeps coming back, so i pulled up the corner recess pocket, fuel filler cap side, and it looks like condensation is collecting in that corner.... just keeps coming back...
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 10:14   #4
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Enough advice about the clutch which I agree with....whatever, he is going to need to get the clutch removed and replaced.

Quote:
His other problem is a mysterious water leak into the boot area (Saloon) It looked like condensation, but he had the boot open and aired it out, dried up the underside of the boot lid, waxed it too...(my recommendation) but it keeps coming back, so i pulled up the corner recess pocket, fuel filler cap side, and it looks like condensation is collecting in that corner.... just keeps coming back...
You'll probably find that at some time, the car has been fitted with a towbar, which may still be there, or may have been removed. That area is almost certainly where the 7 core cable would have come through.

Check the grommet, or the hole where the grommet was, as this is a favourite spot for a leak. You can wax the underside of the boot lid till the cows come home,....but put money on it...... there is water coming into the car from the boot floor.

Good way to find it is to crawl under the car at night and get someone to shine a bright work light all round the boot floor. If (when) you see light...there's your hole. You obviously need to either fibreglass, plate or fill it as necessary. Any hole at all will let water in, as it comes up from the rear wheel under the wheel arch. Ignore it, and the car will rust.

Unless you want to remove the fuel tank........with all safety precautions DO NOT weld it!! You might be playing the big part in mission impossible!!

Once you've dealt with it, give the whole area, inside and outside the boot a good coat of underseal.

Last edited by Oilydad; Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:20.
Oilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 10:59   #5
'88740GL

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilydad View Post
Enough advice about the clutch which I agree with....whatever, he is going to need to get the clutch removed and replaced.

You'll probably find that at some time, the car has been fitted with a towbar, which may still be there, or may have been removed. That area is almost certainly where the 7 core cable would have come through.

Check the grommet, or the hole where the grommet was, as this is a favourite spot for a leak. You can wax the underside of the boot lid till the cows come home,....but put money on it...... there is water coming into the car from the boot floor.

Good way to find it is to crawl under the car at night and get someone to shine a bright work light all round the boot floor. If (when) you see light...there's your hole. You obviously need to either fibreglass, plate or fill it as necessary. Any hole at all will let water in, as it comes up from the rear wheel under the wheel arch. Ignore it, and the car will rust.

Unless you want to remove the fuel tank........with all safety precautions DO NOT weld it!! You might be playing the big part in mission impossible!!

Once you've dealt with it, give the whole area, inside and outside the boot a good coat of underseal.
Oh god haha the fuel tank i don't want to go near, where abouts would this grommet be? theres no tow bar fitted, so i bet the grommet is there but leaking... i shall have a good look around and investigate further..

The clutch i will have to tell him the news, ah well, things wear down..

Thank you Very much for the advice once again!
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 11:43   #6
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Or maybe there is a sun roof? If so, make sure the drain pipe is connected correctly and not just depositing its contents into the boot.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 12:49   #7
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Or maybe there is a sun roof? If so, make sure the drain pipe is connected correctly and not just depositing its contents into the boot.

Des. . .
theres no sunroof, its odd, i've pulled up the carpet, dried it all out (was only that side) dried out any developing condensation, and left it peeled up....next day, after a short spell of rain...about a tablespoons worth of water is in that corner pocket again...its source? the ledge below the light cluster...its almost as if the rain is leaching through the light cluster gasket somehow.. they are new rear light and gaskets, and the bolts seem to be tight enough..
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 16:22   #8
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Dry it all out, remove carpets and sprinkle talc around. Whatever is getting in and from wherever will leave a trace in the talc.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 17:30   #9
Diesel-do-nicely
Master Member

Don't mention its the pressure plate, thrust bearing or the friction disc , ok i won't, but had a 240 that let in water after i had welded in a new rear 1/4 panel, and replaced the tail lamp after a bump.
It leaked at the cluster, after much finger pointing at the welder (me!) and me saying i had done the job properly we refitted the cracked original cluster, taped up the crack in the lens and put the hose on it.
No leak,
fitted the cluster supplied by Euro car parts,
huge leak.
Fault was cured with fat bead of clear bath sealant round the light units surface where it should mate up to the body panels.
Diesel-do-nicely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel-do-nicely For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 19:05   #10
'88740GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-do-nicely View Post
Don't mention its the pressure plate, thrust bearing or the friction disc , ok i won't, but had a 240 that let in water after i had welded in a new rear 1/4 panel, and replaced the tail lamp after a bump.
It leaked at the cluster, after much finger pointing at the welder (me!) and me saying i had done the job properly we refitted the cracked original cluster, taped up the crack in the lens and put the hose on it.
No leak,
fitted the cluster supplied by Euro car parts,
huge leak.
Fault was cured with fat bead of clear bath sealant round the light units surface where it should mate up to the body panels.
I'll do that on this following monday, when i have some time off, its a nice car, shame he wont let me take a few pictures of it..