Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch/Flywheel - HOW MUCH!

Views : 1422

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2012, 16:22   #1
Puffster

Default Clutch/Flywheel - HOW MUCH!

Its actually an XC70 6spd manual

Car is getting a new (secondhand) engine and whilst the engine is out, it makes good sense to drop a new clutch in as the last one has been in there for 130,000 miles or more.

Whilst I can manage with a clutch kit price of £285 inc VAT, its the flywheel price @ £750 inc VAT which is making my eyes water

Anyone know where I can get one cheaper please or is there a pattern part I can use?

Clutch price cheaper would be good too!
Puffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 18:11   #2
66split

I assume you've tried GSF?
66split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 20:20   #3
jajrst
Volvo S80 SE Owner

I'm getting mine from these guys, I used them for a drive shaft which so far touch wood has been trouble free!

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/
jajrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 23:16   #4
Richard Swinney

Default Clutch / Flywheel.

Have a look at my post here.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ght=s60+clutch

If you not worried about changinmg spec or warranty stuff, you may want to investigate a single mass flywheel conversion. - Could work out much cheaper.

Good luck

Richy
Richard Swinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 09:23   #5
Puffster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66split View Post
I assume you've tried GSF?
No? Contact details please?
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 10:08   #6
chris vince

Do you actually need a new one?
I have just had to replace the oil core plug on a D5 @ 124,000 miles, like you I thought it wise to change the clutch and flywheel, but couldn't justify spending over 25% of the cars value on one assembly.
I found the LUK website and got the manufacturers specifications for new DMF's, luckily our DMF was well within the specs for a brand new one even at 124K.
I decided to change just the driven plate, but according to my local mainstealer they don't sell these seperately, they also didn't stock gear oil!
The driven plate still had clearly visible segments on it, so back in it all went.
How the hell they charge this much for spare parts is disgusting!
Volvo used to pride themselves on how many old Volvo's were still in use, these days in some instances it is more financially viable to scrap a car!
Volvo are not alone and singled out in these comments.
Chris
chris vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 10:29   #7
Bernard333
Premier Member

I have a set ready for my D5 , original Volvo clutch kit brand new from a private seller on ebay cost around £100 but did not include a new slave. I would denfinitely fit a new slave cylinder even if you do not do anything else , you can get one for around £70 , dont pay the £100 plus being asked on ebay . Also bought a used DMF for £45 but I have some concerns about it as its possibly only just within spec . I agree with Chris Vince you should check the LUK spec even though in my opinion its very badly written and not clear . My new DMF has about 2.5mm wobble which I think is within spec but not great and about 10 to 15 mm rotational free play before the springs come in , a Volvo mechanic had a look at it and told me its just within spec but it seems a bit slack to me , it just highlights the risk of buying parts on ebay as the seller claimed it came off a 30k mile car which I think not .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 12:50   #8
66split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffster View Post
No? Contact details please?
Well, I don't know whereabouts in London you are so just google GSF Car Parts and find out where your nearest branch is.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 13:21   #9
Puffster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66split View Post
Well, I don't know whereabouts in London you are so just google GSF Car Parts and find out where your nearest branch is.
Many thanks. They were unknown to me. Did a search on here & found them.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 14:40   #10
66split

No probs..let us know how you get on.