Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Towing capacity

Views : 697

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 14:12   #1
Kev0607
Premier Member

Default V70 Towing capacity

My Dad has a P3 Volvo V70 D5 with 185bhp (front wheel drive) with the 6 speed TF80-SC automatic transmission. It doesn't have nivomat rear suspension, just the standard setup.

What's the maximum towing capacity on these cars including a trailer? He's thinking of buying a small mini digger and using the Volvo to tow it. He hasn't got a trailer either, but it would only be a small one adequate enough to hold the weight of the machine. However, it would be a proper plant/excavator trailer. It wouldn't be going off-road, just normal roads with maybe the odd hill climb here and there.

The mini digger would weigh around 1 tonne or 1.5 at most, then add the trailer on top. He'd have to get a tow bar installed too, as his car currently hasn't got one.

Would this be legal, or is it a stretch too far for a front wheel drive V70? Is the auto okay for towing?

He can tow up to 7 tonne according to his license (that's the combined weight of the vehicle, trailer and whatever he's towing) as far as I'm aware. I know the V70 wouldn't be able to tow that much, but he's licensed to tow that amount (just not in that car obviously).

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 14:23.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 14:25   #2
Andymharrison

The rating plate and manual should confirm but...

Our P3 XC70 is 2100kg, depending on configuration yours should be between 1800 and 2100kg.

I wouldn't think twice about towing 1500kg, most caravans are at least that heavy these days. It really depends on the trailer for how close to the limit you would be.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 14:31   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

I just checked the load plate on the pillar inside the rear passenger door on the driver's side. It says;

2310kg
4310kg
1 - 1220kg
2 - 1150 kg

Not sure what those numbers mean. Does that help?

Just to be sure, this is a V70, not an XC. I haven't got an owner's manual for it.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 14:35.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 14:40   #4
Andymharrison

If I understand those plates they are

Max permissible car load
Max permissible train load, ie Inc trailer
Front axle Max load
Rear axle Max load

So you can tow 2000kg with a fully laden car.

When looking at trailers keep an eye on the nose weight as well as total.

I have towed 1800kg with a FWD non volvo, never had an issue except when off road, which is why we have an XC90 and an XC70!
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 14:59   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymharrison View Post
If I understand those plates they are

Max permissible car load
Max permissible train load, ie Inc trailer
Front axle Max load
Rear axle Max load

So you can tow 2000kg with a fully laden car.

When looking at trailers keep an eye on the nose weight as well as total.

I have towed 1800kg with a FWD non volvo, never had an issue except when off road, which is why we have an XC90 and an XC70!
Thank you for your help.

It would never be off road. It would be just be towing on normal roads with the odd natural incline/decline. Its not too hilly around here.

So, the car can tow 2000kg which includes the weight of the trailer/whatever is being transported?

What is nose weight? Is that the amount of weight that can be directly applied on top of the tow bar and does the nose weight have to be included in that 2000kg figure?

With regards to the auto transmission, is this where the manual mode will come into use? So push the gear lever to the left and select the relevant gear, or do you just leave it in "D" when towing?

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 22nd, 2024 at 15:03.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 15:32   #6
Andymharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Thank you for your help.

It would never be off road. It would be just be towing on normal roads with the odd natural incline/decline. Its not too hilly around here.

So, the car can tow 2000kg which includes the weight of the trailer/whatever is being transported?

What is nose weight? Is that the amount of weight that can be directly applied on top of the tow bar and does the nose weight have to be included in that 2000kg figure?

With regards to the auto transmission, is this where the manual mode will come into use? So push the gear lever to the left and select the relevant gear, or do you just leave it in "D" when towing?
Yes, you can legally tow something that is 2000kg inc the trailer but It's generally considered that 85% of the 2000kg should be your maximum. I don't know where that came from, probably a caravan club thing.

Your manual will give the maximum nose weight, probably 90kg, its the force pushing directly down onto the tow ball. You need to balance the trailer so as not to exceed this. If you park the digger right at the front of the trailer more weight will push down on the nose, if you park it right at the back you may have too little weight. Both can be unstable.

Personally I just leave it in D, when I see a hill coming I put the boot down to drop a gear and that picks up a bit of speed and revs to carry me over the top. But we rarely see "proper" hills.

If neither of you have towed much consider going on a course.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 15:42   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes, you can legally tow something that is 2000kg inc the trailer but It's generally considered that 85% of the 2000kg should be your maximum. I don't know where that came from, probably a caravan club thing.

Your manual will give the maximum nose weight, probably 90kg, its the force pushing directly down onto the tow ball. You need to balance the trailer so as not to exceed this. If you park the digger right at the front of the trailer more weight will push down on the nose, if you park it right at the back you may have too little weight. Both can be unstable.

Personally I just leave it in D, when I see a hill coming I put the boot down to drop a gear and that picks up a bit of speed and revs to carry me over the top. But we rarely see "proper" hills.

If neither of you have towed much consider going on a course.
Yeah, I've heard of that rule too. I think its something to do with caravans.

I understand what you mean about balancing the trailer and not keeping all the weight on the tow bar at the front or too much weight to the rear.

To be fair, I don't think many tow bars on a car could withstand a 1 tonne machine sat up on top of it (not that it ever would be). Diggers are usually transported centrally in/on the trailer for weight dispersion anyway. The load would also be secured in place with chains or ratchet straps.

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 15:59   #8
Andymharrison

You'll have to test it as you go, it's not always obvious where best position is.

Put some weighing scales under the jockey wheel and lower the hitch to the same height as when on the car and play around to find the best load position.

You soon get to know what nose weight feels most stable.

If you are looking to buy a trailer see if you can get a stabilised hitch, they make a huge difference with caravans.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 16:13   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
You'll have to test it as you go, it's not always obvious where best position is.

Put some weighing scales under the jockey wheel and lower the hitch to the same height as when on the car and play around to find the best load position.

You soon get to know what nose weight feels most stable.

If you are looking to buy a trailer see if you can get a stabilised hitch, they make a huge difference with caravans.
Good idea.

I don’t think it would be ever used for a caravan, but we’ll have a look at the options available. I know there’s removable towbars and retractable. I imagine the retractable ones are quite expensive.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 22:20   #10
Andymharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Good idea.

I don’t think it would be ever used for a caravan, but we’ll have a look at the options available. I know there’s removable towbars and retractable. I imagine the retractable ones are quite expensive.
The hitch is on the trailer, it has friction pads that grip on either side of the tow ball and reduce swaying etc. You just need an alko compatible tow ball, which I would expect most to be these days.

Never had a retractable towbar but a removable is worth it, on the XC90 it isn't much of a problem because you lower the tailgate to get in the boot but on the XC70 it was well worth it, I've shinned myself a few times on older cars. Father in law had a very nasty infection that took months to heal after he caught his leg on his towbar.