Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvos and chip fat

Views : 11905

Replies : 127

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2007, 15:12   #91
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfb View Post
David

The washers are external to the injector body and sit between the injector body and and the cylinder head. They provide a seal around the face of the nozzle and the pre-chamber. The dodgy ones I was given simply didn't seal and left the whole of the nozzle face and bottom of the injector body open to the combustion gasses.
I'll take some pictures when my exchange set of injectors arrive....still hoping it will be today!

Regards
TFB
well that is what i thought......................so where was the diesel leaking from on the injector? was it coming from the nut that holds on the nozzle? if not from where?

can you take some pics of both styles of sealing washers?

thanks
V70 Classic 2.4 20V sold on VoS FB page in a few hours
Present - C70 2.4 SE GearTronic - V70R AWD Prins II LPG 2.5 GearTronic
DLM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 16:55   #92
tfb

My exchange injectors have arrived ...just to dark to fit them now though

Ok, I taken a few pics using the new injectors as they are clean and wont mess up the dining room table!

1st picture shows where I was getting the fuel leak after having the Elsbett nozzles fitted

2nd picture shows the face of the injector and where the heatshield washer seals on it

3rd picture shows a good new heatshield washer

4th picture shows the remains of one of the dodgy washers I was given

Regards

TFB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg injector02.jpg (49.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg injector03.JPG (44.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg good washer01.JPG (39.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg bad washer01.JPG (112.4 KB, 10 views)
tfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 18:23   #93
DLM48
Master Member

Yes leaking where i thought it would be - are you going back to the std injectors or have you had the Elsbett nozzles fitted again?

Are these your injectors reworked or did you find a spare set to overhaul?

I have just found a hidden treasure trove of old Volvos - lots of Diesels too he he

NOPE i wont say where ATM BUT if you are looking for a spare set of injectors i could see if i can get two sets one for me and one for you if you are interested.

great and useful pictures BTW

thanks again
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 18:51   #94
tfb

Wow! a hidden trove of diesels...sounds like heaven

The injectors are a refurbished set from United Diesel Ltd. They are fitted with standard nozzles to get me back up and running.

I may send the knackered nozzles back to Elsbett and see if they can do anything with them. Even soaking them overnight didn't help shift the carbonisation on them and I was afraid to use anything more abrasive than a toothbrush for fear of making the leaks worse.

I'll get this set of injectors fitted in tomorrow and I probably wont do any more tinkering until after xmas.

Oh yes, someone asked about the time the glowplugs are lit. I haven't measured it yet. But the control relay takes a singal from a new Elsbett supplied thermostat and the relay for the electric fuel filter heater is fed from the glowplug relay output, so I assmue the glowplugs are on until the coolant temp hits 70 degrees and then they and the electric fuel filter heater turn off.

I wont post the Elsbett wiring diagrams as I'm fairly sure they are copyrighted, but I'll draw up another diagram and post that.

Regards
TFB
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 20:29   #95
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
Wow! a hidden trove of diesels...sounds like heaven

The injectors are a refurbished set from United Diesel Ltd. They are fitted with standard nozzles to get me back up and running.

I may send the knackered nozzles back to Elsbett and see if they can do anything with them. Even soaking them overnight didn't help shift the carbonisation on them and I was afraid to use anything more abrasive than a toothbrush for fear of making the leaks worse.

I'll get this set of injectors fitted in tomorrow and I probably wont do any more tinkering until after xmas.

Oh yes, someone asked about the time the glowplugs are lit. I haven't measured it yet. But the control relay takes a singal from a new Elsbett supplied thermostat and the relay for the electric fuel filter heater is fed from the glowplug relay output, so I assmue the glowplugs are on until the coolant temp hits 70 degrees and then they and the electric fuel filter heater turn off.

I wont post the Elsbett wiring diagrams as I'm fairly sure they are copyrighted, but I'll draw up another diagram and post that.

Regards
TFB
i have heard that there are two types of glowplugs........7 volt ones and 11 volt ones obviously the 7 volt ones are 'hotter' fed with 12 volts but dont last as long - since the Elsbett kit is powering the glow plugs for a longer time period i would assume that they are not 7 volt glow plugs - twas me that asked about the longer timing of the glow plugs.

thanks and regards
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 14:06   #96
tfb

The new injectors got fitted this morning and wow! waht a difference A hell of a lot better than before I even started tinkering with the car. Nice smooth idle, more power, smoother to drive and lots less smoke!

I think I measured the voltage across the glowplugs at about 10V, I'll check see exactly what it is and for how long they are powered up for too. Should get a chance to do that on Saturday

Regards

TFB
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 13:02   #97
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
The new injectors got fitted this morning and wow! waht a difference A hell of a lot better than before I even started tinkering with the car. Nice smooth idle, more power, smoother to drive and lots less smoke!

I think I measured the voltage across the glowplugs at about 10V, I'll check see exactly what it is and for how long they are powered up for too. Should get a chance to do that on Saturday

Regards

TFB
i am about to get a spare set of injectors and have them refurbished - sounds like you won a watch with that one.

The voltage over the glow plugs is interesting but it is the plugs that have so i am told two working voltages obviously a 7V one will be a lot hotter than an 11V one BUT wont last as long especially if on for 'longer' periods of time so what i was asking was if you knew the working voltages of both the old and new glow plugs?

thanks again
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 22:47   #98
David Humphrey

I have a 740TD and have read this thread with interest and would be grateful for any advice on how much vegetable oil I can mix with diesel during the winter months in the uk without running into problems with a totally unmodified vehicle.I should add that my journeys are quite short.
David
David Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 00:08   #99
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Humphrey View Post
I have a 740TD and have read this thread with interest and would be grateful for any advice on how much vegetable oil I can mix with diesel during the winter months in the uk without running into problems with a totally unmodified vehicle.I should add that my journeys are quite short.
David
My answer would be none, but that probably isn't what you want to hear.

Roy
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 00:16   #100
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Humphrey View Post
David
well depends on what part of the country you are in i suppose - the warm south west or the cold frozen north? 20% SVO should be fine for starters and you can up it to about 50/50 SVO/PD slowly as you find out it works ok and then to 60/70/80/90% SVO in the summer i am running 50/50 with no issues and according to my external temp gauge it has been as cold as -4 here in Bonnie Scotland BUT if you are into short journeys <5 miles or so why would you bother? IF you are serious about running a high percentage of SVO you really do want to think about heating the SVO and if you want to run 100% SVO i 'now' think you need to twin tank the vehicle to get the best possible performance and i mean operating performance not 'extra' BHP or anything like that. Just my thoughts of course but my Fiat Punto has been running for a year now totally unmodified and without any serious issues never mind the slightest of hiccups.

regards