Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 87093

Replies : 469

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2019, 22:00   #121
Rex65

Mine has had EGR and cooler recall and fuel pipe recall completed so far.
I'm away in France currently but will be booking in for the latest melting manifold recall when I get home.
Quite what is related to which I'm not sure, but I'll be glad when my lease is up so I can get something more reliable!!
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 22:02   #122
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
I'm getting confused. How many recalls have there been, and are any of the issues related to the EGR problem.

I have just done a search and found that Volvo has found a fault with the plastic intake manifold used on its 2.0-litre diesel engine, which poses a potential fire risk. in very rare cases the plastic engine intake manifold may melt and deform on certain models,” with the possibility of causing a “localised engine bay fire.

Also In January, Volvo also announced that it is recalling 219,000 cars globally due to a potential fuel leak, with 30,777 UK cars affected. In affected cars, a faulty fuel line could develop cracks, allowing fuel to leak into the engine bay.

Finally there is the EGR valve issue where as I understand it the cooler clogs up which causes the EGR valve to stick.

Mine went in on Tuesday and the inlet manifold was replaced so I assume my was suffering from the first issue. As I understand it there have been attempts to fix the EGR valve issue, but as yet there is no proper fix for this.

Sorry to be thick, I've just started looking into this since receiving the recall notice and I am in no way a mechanic.
My car was not subject to a recall for the fuel pipe leak, but I've been officially notified by Volvo that there is a potential manifold fire threat for which a recall will be necessary when revised parts are available.

There has not been a recall for the EGR cooler blockage problems, presumably because it is not a safety issue. However Volvo do give a 100% goodwill contribution towards EGR cooler replacement (disappointingly I only got a 50% goodwill contribution towards replacement of my EGR valve). I am fairly sure that the same sooting up of the EGR system is also responsible for the manifold and valve problems that some have suffered (however only the manifold will be on the official recall)

Last edited by Zebster; Aug 4th, 2019 at 22:06.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebster For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 22:19   #123
DTaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I am fairly sure that the same sooting up of the EGR system is also responsible for the manifold and valve problems that some have suffered.
OK, that's' cleared a few things up, thank you.

Is this a hunch or do you have some knowledge of the system?

Also before I purchased the car I read up on a mod done by Volvo that was supposed to cure the problem. It was how the coolant to the EGR valve cooler was tapped off. Originally I believe there was a t piece off the top coolant hose. Once modified the top hose goes straight to the engine with no t piece.

I remember popping the bonnet and looking and seeing the top hose go from the radiator to the engine and assumed it had a permanent fix done to it and all would be OK, so I purchased the car. I now feel I'm driving a ticking time-bomb waiting for the EGR valve to fail.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 07:00   #124
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex65 View Post
Mine has had EGR and cooler recall and fuel pipe recall completed so far.
I'm away in France currently but will be booking in for the latest melting manifold recall when I get home.
Quite what is related to which I'm not sure, but I'll be glad when my lease is up so I can get something more reliable!!
What reliability problems have you had?
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 07:24   #125
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
OK, that's' cleared a few things up, thank you.

Is this a hunch or do you have some knowledge of the system?

Also before I purchased the car I read up on a mod done by Volvo that was supposed to cure the problem. It was how the coolant to the EGR valve cooler was tapped off. Originally I believe there was a t piece off the top coolant hose. Once modified the top hose goes straight to the engine with no t piece.

I remember popping the bonnet and looking and seeing the top hose go from the radiator to the engine and assumed it had a permanent fix done to it and all would be OK, so I purchased the car. I now feel I'm driving a ticking time-bomb waiting for the EGR valve to fail.
While I am fairly new to Volvo ownership, from previous long-term experience with a Honda I have hands-on experience with common rail diesel engine problems, including a sooted up EGR valve and intake manifold, injector replacement and fuel pump problems... there was no chance of Honda paying for the work so I did it all myself!

I too have studied available info on our Volvo problems and, like you, discovered how to confirm if the revised (less cooled) EGR cooler had been fitted to my car (it had). However I did go on to have a problem with my EGR valve sticking open due to soot contamination and, during replacement, it was found that my cooler was becoming blocked and so a second replacement was fitted.

Recycled exhaust is used to displace fresh air (but maintain cylinder fill and thus compression) to reduce the production of mixed nitrous oxides during combustion; meeting the Euro 6 NOx limit without also using AdBlue requires a high volume of EGR that unfortunately will bring in a lot of soot...
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 09:14   #126
kapinsh

Can someone explain more about EGR and cooler pipe?
Get feeling that I have somewhere air leak! It sounds like that
Because it’s common problem is Volvo covering all costs?
kapinsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 09:57   #127
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapinsh View Post
Can someone explain more about EGR and cooler pipe?
Get feeling that I have somewhere air leak! It sounds like that
Because it’s common problem is Volvo covering all costs?
More about EGR cooler and valve problems in this thread, including how to identify if you have an 'improved' cooler... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555

An air leak would have nothing to do with EGR issues.

Volvo do not cover all costs of repairs. While I am grateful for the 100% 'goodwill contribution' towards my EGR cooler replacement, I am disappointed that there was only a 50% contribution towards my EGR valve replacement (so I had to pay £337)... but once the current 'manifold' recall work has completed I intend to go after them for a refund.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 12:04   #128
mgwright

I had the letter regarding the melting inlet manifold some time ago.

A post in here prompted me to check the Government MOT site which said, as others have mentioned, that there is a recall from 2nd AUgust for this issue.

However, when I popped into my dealer they denied that there is a recall and that it is just an advisory at the moment until they decide what to do about it.

Obviously, I cannot force the dealer to do anything at this point but it seemed strange to me that the MOT site recognises it as a recall but the dealer does not.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 12:25   #129
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwright View Post
I had the letter regarding the melting inlet manifold some time ago.

A post in here prompted me to check the Government MOT site which said, as others have mentioned, that there is a recall from 2nd AUgust for this issue.

However, when I popped into my dealer they denied that there is a recall and that it is just an advisory at the moment until they decide what to do about it.

Obviously, I cannot force the dealer to do anything at this point but it seemed strange to me that the MOT site recognises it as a recall but the dealer does not.
The actual recall was launched last Friday .. You have to follow the instructions in the letter ... as each dealer has about 600 cars to do you cant expect them to send out 600 letters on one day there would be chaos . just wait for your recall letter .. And as the letter says , any of those symptoms you may get , call them ...I assume you go to the front of the queue then ..
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 13:08   #130
Rex65

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsdalebear View Post
What reliability problems have you had?
3 visits to dealer for various check engine lights.
2 visits for clutch vibration issues.
3 visits for engine hesitation and random complete cut outs.
1 week in the dealer to fix various rattles from interior trim.
Paint literally falling off the rear bumper.....
Probably more but I've lost count and the will with this car now......

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4