Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Public charging a Hybrid

Views : 1174

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2024, 07:46   #1
GeoC

Default Public charging a Hybrid

Another newbie question. XC60 Recharge Inscription Expression T6. 2022

Since getting the car 5 weeks ago I haven't done much more than drive locally so have been charging at home.

What I would like to know is what is the accepted etiquette around using charging points away from home.

Should I leave them for pure electric vehicles?
Would it take long to charge my battery?
Is it cost effective for just 30 or so miles?

Any other advice, thanks in advance.
GeoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 07:56   #2
giftgrub100
giftgrub100

If it was me, would leave if a pure electric arrived, they have no other option for power, whereas you have an engine.

Also will only charge at 3.7 kWh so will also take about five hours for a full charge on a public charger, obviously depends on the cost of charging as well, some public chargers get expensive after being plugged in for a long time.
giftgrub100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 09:17   #3
James77

I really think Hybrid cars should be charged at home where it's cheaper you only have a short range they're designed for a local trip to the shops avoiding using the petrol engine. Not sure I see the point charging every time I park at a supermarket for 30 minutes.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 09:30   #4
GMcL
0's and 1's

I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be on a type 2 connector, preferably no more than 22kW, cheaper than a fast DC charger. An EV driver would have to be absolutely desperate to be hunting one of those out. They'd be looking for a CCS fast charge adapter, PHEV can't use these plugs.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 10:14   #5
V60 probably

Considering the cost of electric at most public chargers, I'd say it's considerably cheaper to use the petrol engine when you can't charge at home/work. I've had mine nine months and never charged at a public charger.

Prevously: 1992 440ti, 1997 S40 1.8, 2000 S80 2.4.
V60 probably is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 17:17   #6
GeoC

Thanks everyone, confirmed what I thought.
GeoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 19:09   #7
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

depends where you are and what it costs but you have as much right to a charging point as anyone else, so do what you want.

If you are shopping for a couple of hours you could put in enough to cover the costs of driving but anything over 40p a kw, its probably cheaper on petrol, so only really worth while if you are emissions conscious where you'll be driving and would rather be on electric.

The cost of some of the chargers around here it is cheaper to use the petrol tocharge the car
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 21:36   #8
rhd443

I used to plug in often in public places, but in the past year, I've not bothered due to everyone getting on the electric car bus and found the cost increase and chargers packed out.

I would just let the hybrid system do it's thing and smile as you drive past those faffing with the chargers and worrying.

Get in, turn the knob and enjoy.
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 21:41   #9
Damoh89

I don’t have a hybrid or electric but is t there different connections for different cars on them anyways and some at least here Iv seen have multiple connections?but now I notice special Tesla ones?

But I do know neighbour has plug in and he only realy charges if on motorway stop for food and stroll or out shopping as said it’s not really worth the wait for little gain,just as handy on night rate at home

Just to note aswell is 70cent kw here too no idea if that’s good or bad and how many kw one needs to full?

Last edited by Damoh89; Apr 18th, 2024 at 21:44.
Damoh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 23:40   #10
Murph7355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoh89 View Post
I don’t have a hybrid or electric but is t there different connections for different cars on them anyways and some at least here Iv seen have multiple connections?but now I notice special Tesla ones?

But I do know neighbour has plug in and he only realy charges if on motorway stop for food and stroll or out shopping as said it’s not really worth the wait for little gain,just as handy on night rate at home

Just to note aswell is 70cent kw here too no idea if that’s good or bad and how many kw one needs to full?
Bad

Based on an XC90 (which I know the post isn't about), they have a roughly 15kWh (usable - 19kWh ish nominal) battery.

They will apparently do 40 miles on that on a good day.

So around £10 gets you 40 miles using a public charger at 70p per kWh. (I'm being favourable in my rounding and also in charge costs - public chargers in the UK are around 79p at the moment, with some a good bit more. Also assuming we'd be happy spending 5hrs at Grantham services ).

At 30mpg (no idea if that's realistic - our D5 gets that easily), that same 40 miles will cost you about £9.

Public charge companies are screwing the pooch in terms of the economics of electric....especially when you consider that at the very worst a home tariff will cost you 30p per kWh, and at that the electricity companies are still making a profit.

So the rule is, with any form of electric powered vehicle (PHEV or BEV), avoid charging up at public networks.

Charging that same PHEV overnight at home will cost you just over £1. So do that, and only use electric power (most of us do an average of 30 miles per day or so) and all of a sudden you're on a winner

When looking at our next family wagon we ran through the sort of mileage and trips we do throughout a typical year...the economics of a PHEV and BEV were very similar (ICE was a good chunk behind, including purchase price). A higher percentage of short journeys that don't require public charging and the BEV starts to win.

That assumes fuel and public charging (plus home tariffs) remain the same relative to each other over the next 6yrs or so. Which is a bit of a gamble....but ultimately my OH preferred the familiarity and quality of the XC90 over an EV9. But it was close
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Murph7355 For This Useful Post: