Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlight upgrade

Views : 669

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 20:38   #1
PM_240GLT

Lightbulb Headlight upgrade

Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the headlights on my 240 GLT. Assuming mine are working ok they seem pretty hopeless? Many thanks.
Paul
PM_240GLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 21:03   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would say with most certanity that your light are knackered.Probably original.

Stick in a pair of complete new light units. It makes a massive difference.

Keep soaking the nut on the back with penetrating oil for a few weeks before you swap them.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 22:53   #3
PM_240GLT

Much appreciated Dai.

Regards,

Paul
PM_240GLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 23:12   #4
TOOLS

Default 240 Headlights

I rebuilt my 240,s headlights with new reflectors obtained from GSF car parts.
The results were amazing, well worth the effort and not difficult to do. Getting the adjusters to turn.(two on each, which may be seized,) is the hardest part. This will be much cheaper than buying complete new headlights. The original lights had bad reflectors which failed the MOT.and gave a poor light output; but now they are like new.
The headlight plug which fits onto the bulb overheated, causing a bad contact on mine and is something I have yet to replace. although it's ok at the moment.
TOOLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 08:20   #5
Erling
VOC member

I'll second TOOL's advice, rebuilding the headlights is not difficult. The glass and the plastic housing are held together with clips, and once they are removed you will see if the problem is the reflectors. (They should have a mirror-like surface, if they looking like aluminium get them replaced.)

One word of advice: The reflectors are fixed to the plastic housing by three white plastic fasteners that have to be turned 90 deg. to free the reflector. But as they are exposed to heat from the bulb, they tend to get brittle and will easily break as you turn them. So it could be wise to have some new ones available when you start the job. Part number is VO1307452, and they are not expensive.

Good luck!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 15:21   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

For about an axtra £20 why bother.
The plastic goes brittle and if the nylon adjusters snap as they often do thats the best part of you £20 gone.
Also I have known ppl to have poor beam pattern of some replacment reflectors.
A new unit will look much smarter and simpiler to fit less time and a better job at the end of it.

If your thinking of the reflector option try and strip some spare units down before you go out and get them.

Dont get me wron I've rebuit them loads of times but for a couple of quid its not worth it unless you arer on a very tight budget.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:57   #7
ravennexus

yeah, get some new lights, then fit some small spots too for extra fun.

this is mine on dipped beam well adjustisted so not to blind MOT guy passed my ring 80/100W adverse weather bulbs

this is full beam (also triggers some 5" long range lights with 100W ring bulbs H3])

sorry for the big pics, i did resize but for the US market where every one uses DSL... but anyway, i really enjoy night driving on country roads
ravennexus is offline   Reply With Quote