Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

19T turbo?

Views : 15812

Replies : 171

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2007, 23:01   #61
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpy View Post
as I understand it - the hybrid is the bit of pipework which is needed to make this turbo fit to my existing downpipe.
your getting confused carpy, re-read my post above.

the dp bolts directly to the exhuast housing on the turbo, it doesnt join via a "bit of pipe" to the turbo.

when you buy a 19t hybrid you just buy half a 19t.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 23:37   #62
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
your getting confused carpy, re-read my post above.

the dp bolts directly to the exhuast housing on the turbo, it doesnt join via a "bit of pipe" to the turbo.

when you buy a 19t hybrid you just buy half a 19t.
Lol "bit of pipe".

I'm following what you're saying, but to me it still appears that you buy a new whole 19T, then you just don't use the exhaust housing bit because it won't fit to the existing downpipe?

But to all intents and purposes it's a whole new turbo, with a bit from the old pipe / turbo used to allow connection between new turbo and downpipe.
carpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 23:40   #63
t5er
t5er

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
Hi t5er, IMHO if you’re buying brand new and thinking long term performance why not just go for a GT Garrett spec to suit, as the prices ain’t that far apart from the other turbo’s mentioned and this BB range with regard to durability and performance, modified or not is way in front. Failing that and providing your original turbo is ok then just add a metalic race cat to your list. Could be a cheaper option in the long run depending on your original quote.

Can’t quite get my head around the 360-370 BHP quoted output for the T28 though, is it still running. Only joking.

pyaap, off topic slightly but is your GT30 a standard 0.64 A/R?
Hi engineer,
Id love to go down the avenue of the large bhp figures but i think i am limited with my auto box? Is this true? Does anyone know what is a safe figure for me to run to. I dont know of antone with a auto box that has gone for big power?
If someone has can you let me know.
Thanks for all the advice lads. Carl
t5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 23:50   #64
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

Yeah i'd like to know the approx BHP limit before you start to blow up your engine!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 00:02   #65
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

No, the exhaust housing is machined to match your exhaust wheel, which is effectively half of the turbo. So are you effectively getting "half a turbo"? Yes. Does it matter? Not if the other half is a 18T - they're almost the same.

The BHP limit for the engine depends on how you achieve it. Referring to the 2.3 T5s now, if you do everything right, I think 330-350 is achievable from even the 'weak' early 850 (up to and including T5-R) engines. The later engines probably add 30-40 bhp to this.

If you want to do things on the cheap, you may not get anywhere near these figures before you need to upgrade hardware to counteract your bodgery.

The autobox? Tough call. Usually, with plenty of cooling, they'll take quite a lot of power. I'm not sure anyone in this country will have data for autos beyond about 300bhp.

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 00:29   #66
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

So really the outcome of all this is that it's definitely a good move to go for a 19T and 3" downpipe, because you'll use a whole new turbo?

EDIT : Funds permitting of course

Last edited by carpy; Mar 1st, 2007 at 00:31. Reason: Added someting!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 00:57   #67
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

My advice would be to go for an 18T, as they're almost as good, and don't require a change of DP. If you want more power than you'll achieve with an 18T, you're going to want something a fair bit larger.

A 3" DP isn't going to make night and day difference, and it'll be relatively expensive - so if you wanna try the options, I'd fit an 18T with the standard downpipe, and if it's 'nearly there', look at further upgrades based around this (3" DP, larger intercooler, etc). If you want a lot more power, you can save the money which would otherwise be spent on the DP which would be obsolete (although saleable) when you upgrade the turbo.

...if that makes sense

cheers

James
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 01:00   #68
carpy
850R/V70R Seeker

This is a bit confusing. Go for an 18T because it fits the standard downpipe, then look at upgrades like a 3" downpipe!

Isn't it best to go straight for the 19T and be done with it?

I'm not trying to disagree for the sake of it- just trying to get a good understanding of the options available.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 01:20   #69
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

If you're not sure...go to an 18T (no need to change the DP...cheaper!), and see how you like it. If you like it, a 3" downpipe will be a nice upgrade in due course.

In the grand scheme of things there's relatively little difference between an 18T on the stock DP vs a 19T on a 3" DP - it's certainly close enough to give you a good idea of what a 19T/3" DP combo would be like, for a fraction of the price.

If you've tried the 18T and it's nowhere near enough, you haven't just spent the extra £££ on a DP you now can't use with your new BIIIG turbo!

cheers

James
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 10:41   #70
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpy View Post
Lol "bit of pipe".

I'm following what you're saying, but to me it still appears that you buy a new whole 19T, then you just don't use the exhaust housing bit because it won't fit to the existing downpipe?

But to all intents and purposes it's a whole new turbo, with a bit from the old pipe / turbo used to allow connection between new turbo and downpipe.
thats what i said earlier, when i replyed to lance. if his old turbo was knackered and he had a 19t hybrid fitted, he would then have had to buy 2 turbos.

but yes you will have to pay the full price of a complete 19t, but you only get half of it fitted and loose the better flowing exhuast housing. I know at sw's they can put an new flange onto your existing downpipe if you go for a "complete" 19t and choose not to have the downpipe.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote