Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1999 V70 Diesel

Views : 1466

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2017, 14:36   #1
underlinehero

Default 1999 V70 Diesel

I am rebuilding my V70 cylinder head after cam belt broke. Where can i get a service manual for the 1999 2.5 turbo diesel engine ( VW ) I require all info on fuel pump timing and cam timing. Any help will be great many thanks.
underlinehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 00:13   #2
c_lee
VOC26332

Arrow

There is no single workshop manual that covers the 1999 V70 D5252T Tdi whole car.

I have the same car ( auto ) and I have two Haynes manuals :

The 1999 V70 petrol manual for the running gear Etc ( everything except the engine basically ).

And also the manual for an Audi diesel ( A4/A6 I think ?? ) from around the same time ( the D5252T is actually a slightly modified Audi group engine and Audi's designation for that engine is AEL ).

Good whole coverage for that car is given withing the Volvo Vida/Dice pack.

And for the 1999 onward ( MSA 15.8 ) car the diagnostics in Vida/Dice work also.

There are several references for doing the static injection pump timing on the engine to get the engine to start but for best performance and economy I believe it is the dynamic pump timing that is required.
The engine needs to start to do the dynamic timing.

I occasionally take mine to an Indi in Lythan St Annes to have the dynamic timing done.

Even without the Dice interface Vida is an extensive workshop manual in itself and it explains how to do pump timing once the Dice interface is used.

Colin

Last edited by c_lee; Jul 15th, 2017 at 00:51.
c_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 03:24   #3
Dancake
Premier Member

This of any use?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (1).png (155.3 KB, 29 views)
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 03:27   #4
Dancake
Premier Member

Timing belt installation
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (2).png (158.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png Screenshot (3).png (161.0 KB, 14 views)
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 00:36   #5
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I've just got my 1998 V70 Tdi running again after the cambelt broke. You'll find my tale of woe in the 850 / S70 V70 section of the forum.

Although it doesn't deal specifically with a broken cambelt and the aftermath, I found these series of videos on YouTube extremely helpful. They're not exactly gripping viewing, but they may answer some of your questions. here's a link to the first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wY59yewxhk

You may also find some useful information here

http://dieselmastera.ru/_fr/44/9831543.pdf

http://www.skf.com/binary/12-140172/..._12-140172.pdf

Getting the camshaft timed correctly is relatively straightforward but timing the injector pump involves an element of guesswork and luck. There are marks on the injector pump but they're not easy to see and may not be that accurate anyway but they may do as a starting point.

I got a local engineering works to sort out the head but otherwise the absolute worst part of the job was disconnecting and reconnecting the turbo oil return pipe to allow the exhaust manifold to be freed from the cylinder head. Only two bolts but access was almost impossible.

A trawl through the forum will prove helpful: there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here.

I'll see what else I can dig up for you

Good luck - the job is certainly doable.

Last edited by Martin Cox; Jul 16th, 2017 at 00:40. Reason: minor addition
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 11:42   #6
Martin Cox
VOC Member

These notes are available elsewhere on the forum and may also be of some help.

If you can buy beg or borrow the crank locking tool (Volvo Tool No 9995645) do so. It makes removing and replacing the crankshaft pulley bolt a straightforward job. Most of the other tools you can easily make acceptable substitutes for.

Let us know how you get on.

Martin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf V70 diesel pump timing notes(1).pdf (1,008.7 KB, 16 views)
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 09:19   #7
underlinehero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
These notes are available elsewhere on the forum and may also be of some help.

If you can buy beg or borrow the crank locking tool (Volvo Tool No 9995645) do so. It makes removing and replacing the crankshaft pulley bolt a straightforward job. Most of the other tools you can easily make acceptable substitutes for.

Let us know how you get on.

Martin
Thanks very much to all who answered, the parts arrive today so fingers crossed.
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 16:38   #8
underlinehero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
I've just got my 1998 V70 Tdi running again after the cambelt broke. You'll find my tale of woe in the 850 / S70 V70 section of the forum.

Although it doesn't deal specifically with a broken cambelt and the aftermath, I found these series of videos on YouTube extremely helpful. They're not exactly gripping viewing, but they may answer some of your questions. here's a link to the first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wY59yewxhk

You may also find some useful information here

http://dieselmastera.ru/_fr/44/9831543.pdf

http://www.skf.com/binary/12-140172/..._12-140172.pdf

Getting the camshaft timed correctly is relatively straightforward but timing the injector pump involves an element of guesswork and luck. There are marks on the injector pump but they're not easy to see and may not be that accurate anyway but they may do as a starting point.

I got a local engineering works to sort out the head but otherwise the absolute worst part of the job was disconnecting and reconnecting the turbo oil return pipe to allow the exhaust manifold to be freed from the cylinder head. Only two bolts but access was almost impossible.

A trawl through the forum will prove helpful: there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people here.

I'll see what else I can dig up for you

Good luck - the job is certainly doable.
Hi Martin. Thanks very much for those video links, they have shown me all i need to know to at least get it running. I now have the cylinder head all rebuilt with new valves, followers and cam shaft. I am about to fit it to the block. Do you know the torque stages and final angle and sequence for tightening the cylinder head bolts. Best regards. Doug Handyside.
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 18:00   #9
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Doug,

I found this video very useful and should contain all the information you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRiGf_RFapQ

It also agrees with information from other sources, for example the Haynes Audi A6 manual for AEL engine and also with the instructions which came with the Elring Gasket I used.

I'll find the gasket instructions and scan them for you but it may be later this evening.

Glad to hear you are making good progress.

Martin
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 18:17   #10
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Doug,

Here's a copy of the instructions that came with the gasket I used.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf filename-1.pdf (319.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf filename-2.pdf (341.8 KB, 9 views)