Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS reluctor ring

Views : 2682

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 17:33   #11
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinBiskits View Post
a picture says a 1000 words. thanks bud.
try for a pic of replacement rear wheel bearing on ecp you might be able to see the connector for abs sensor within the bearing . good luck keep us posted
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2017, 18:09   #12
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Dunno but there's clearly no ring on the shaft itself.

It's a common shaft too used on a few different Volvo models so easy to find should it ever need replacing.

Having looked at this picture again and done some parts swapping to isolate the issue, it IS in the picture. Its the flush ring that lives on the outer cup (silver bit just inwards from the hub splines)

Only way to get the reluctor ring or the ABS sensor is to buy a complete wheel bearing kit @£230ish OE.

Absolutely scandalous. Tested the ABS sensors with a multimeter in diode mode, and they both showed 0.56V (I'm hedging bets on the ring as the cup has rot on it as its previously a Glasgow vehicle from new)

Rather than throw money at them ive cleared the codes then swapped the shafts side to side to see if the fault switches sides with it. if it does I can get a shaft (30681132) or an abs sensor off pretty much any awd p3 car, whichever is turns out to be.

IF anyone has these abs issues on the P3 cars and it doesn't let you accelerate AT ALL, turn off the traction control in the menus.

Ill update with progress

Dunc

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Last edited by DunkinBiskits; Aug 11th, 2017 at 18:16.
DunkinBiskits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 18:31   #13
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

fixed with a second hand driveshaft for £35 off eBay

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
DunkinBiskits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DunkinBiskits For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 20:49   #14
Thistrucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
If the reluctor ring is fixed to the drive shaft, you can buy them separately on the internet for about £3 each. The reason that the manufacturers don't sell them is that they buy in the shafts with the rings attached and merely assemble them to the car so their parts inventory never had separate rings in it and since fitting a ring involves removing the shaft, they don't advise their dealers to do this as with all the work involved, the whole operation could be undermined by damage or discovered wear to the shaft . From a labour point of view the dealer would spend more time fitting the ring to the shaft than fitting the shaft to the car. I don't blame them but if you fit the rings yourself, or have an indie garage do it cheaply for you, it is not an expensive job. The shaft has to be thoroughly cleaned before offering up the ring which can be heated to expand it to fit onto the shaft and contract tightly when it cools.
No Xc90 driveshafts available from Volvo until April!
Thistrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 21:00   #15
apersson850
Premier Member

I've only had to do this on the front wheel of the V70 from 2004. There, you simply put on a new ring.
But it sits around the drive shaft, so you have to remove that from the hub to get the ring in there.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 13:28   #16
Dean Bryant

Try this link, been looking myself as firstly I was getting brake judder when slowing to stop then I have been losing power on acceleration on a couple of occasions over the last two weeks which lasted few minutes then would clear. Last week on the M6 the power dropped suddenly and i had to coast to the hard shoulder where DSTC service message came on, after restart it drove fine all the way back to Bristol.
https://www.ukpartsdirect.com/abs-re...rings.html?p=3
Dean Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 17:28   #17
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistrucker View Post
No Xc90 driveshafts available from Volvo until April!
The Mk1 XC90 (early models at least) uses a castleated reluctor ring which is replaceable with a pattern part - about £3 on e-bay as t'other chap said...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 18:34   #18
Dmac78
Dmac78

I changed both of my reluctor rings on the front of my 2011, xc90, one had split and the other side I was replacing bearing hub anyway and figured as it was very corroded I'd replace it when it as stripped back. This aspect of the job went fairly well, impossible without a breaker bar though some of the bolts are very, very tight.
I put the new rings in the oven for 15-20mins and they pretty much slipped right into place. Definitely cheaper than a new axel that volvo quoted me this morning.
Dmac78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 19:45   #19
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac78 View Post
I changed both of my reluctor rings on the front of my 2011, xc90, one had split and the other side I was replacing bearing hub anyway and figured as it was very corroded I'd replace it when it as stripped back. This aspect of the job went fairly well, impossible without a breaker bar though some of the bolts are very, very tight.
I put the new rings in the oven for 15-20mins and they pretty much slipped right into place. Definitely cheaper than a new axel that volvo quoted me this morning.
One the P2 based cars it is a cheap and fairly easy job.

On the P3 cars they are not replaceable - they're glued to the CV joint and they're a quite fragile, smooth stainless steel band.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 10:55   #20
davefr

Default ABS/DSTC warning lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
If the reluctor ring is fixed to the drive shaft, you can buy them separately on the internet for about £3 each. The reason that the manufacturers don't sell them is that they buy in the shafts with the rings attached and merely assemble them to the car so their parts inventory never had separate rings in it and since fitting a ring involves removing the shaft, they don't advise their dealers to do this as with all the work involved, the whole operation could be undermined by damage or discovered wear to the shaft . From a labour point of view the dealer would spend more time fitting the ring to the shaft than fitting the shaft to the car. I don't blame them but if you fit the rings yourself, or have an indie garage do it cheaply for you, it is not an expensive job. The shaft has to be thoroughly cleaned before offering up the ring which can be heated to expand it to fit onto the shaft and contract tightly when it cools.
Thank you . I now understand why Volvo replaced the transmission shaft (total cost 1,100 £... ) on my XC60 when all I had was ABS/DSTC warning lights. Car was running fine. Error code showed speed sensor on front RH wheel. On reading about reluctors I was somewhat suspicious they had done unnecessary work.
davefr is offline   Reply With Quote