Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 - R-Design Leather Seats - Failure

Views : 2131

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2017, 22:23   #11
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
My 20 year old 940 CD has full leather seats and there is virtually no wear to them after 185000 miles.
My MY2004 XC70 also has leather seats, but only the surfaces that come in contact with the body
are real leather, all other parts are what Volvo calls eco-leather (read vinyl). Are you sure your 940
seats have real leather on all the surfaces? I couldn't see any difference in the seats of the XC70.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 00:14   #12
soupytwister
Master Member

I notice my picture is the leather & alcantara, while yours is leather & leather. Can't see why the bolsters would be different in terms of quality, but is an observation....

..perhaps different suppliers/batches/etc etc.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 10:30   #13
neon
Premier Member

My drivers seat base has been replaced twice, once at 2500 miles and once at 6500 miles. My passenger seat base has been replaced once. Under warranty.

I am a very careful owner who really looks after the interior and had not experienced anything like this before.

I have had many conversations with Vijay at Volvo UK about the poor quality leather and he has tried really hard to help. I have been assured the last replacement will cure the issue and I am watching closely.

I just cannot avoid some contact with the leather when getting in and out with my car and the way it has been designed. I am being way more careful with this car than I have had to be with previous cars on the entry/exit of the vehicle.

Do not get fobbed off, my thoughts are that it may be like the road noise issue where Volvo will not be honest and tell us straight there was/is an issue and they are working on it. From a credibility point of view I wish they would just be upfront as it is expected to have some issues on a new car and they are doing many good things currently.

See thread below.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=258737

Last edited by neon; Aug 18th, 2017 at 13:14.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 21:46   #14
Avallon

There is no way that kind of wear is reasonable, on any car. You shouldn't need to take special care getting in and out - I never had to on any car with leather seats...
Avallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 12:30   #15
IamDave

I certainly wouldn't be standing for the "not covered under warranty" malarkey. I think you do right giving Volvo UK a chance to sort it but if they fail that I'd definitely take it straight to Volvo Sweden as suggested.

Although I imagine the leather will be different to my V40 R design, my seats are just showing a few creases on the side bolster after 15000 miles, nothing like you've posted.

Hope you get sorted
IamDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 16:47   #16
IMQuinn

Thanks all for your input.

I have been speaking with a friend who has another friend (a Volvo Dealer) who is also on some sort of Volvo Quality committee, he agrees its beyond reasonable ware given the age and time line given, so he is going to raise this in their group and see what the official line is... in the mean I am plugging away at my Customer Service representative, to make my position clear.

To be categorical, I do not accept that this is normal ware and I do not accept that this is a unwarrantable repair in the future. The dealer that sold me the car agrees and I am sure the finance company would agree that this is an unacceptable devaluation of the car once the finance period is up.

I should point out the seat covers have been replaced, at Volvo's cost now, I now need to wait and see if the new covers hold up to me using the car, in what I believe is a very normal way, by getting in and out of it.

Thanks!
IMQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 12:55   #17
reggie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMQuinn View Post
Thanks all for your input.

I have been speaking with a friend who has another friend (a Volvo Dealer) who is also on some sort of Volvo Quality committee, he agrees its beyond reasonable ware given the age and time line given, so he is going to raise this in their group and see what the official line is... in the mean I am plugging away at my Customer Service representative, to make my position clear.

To be categorical, I do not accept that this is normal ware and I do not accept that this is a unwarrantable repair in the future. The dealer that sold me the car agrees and I am sure the finance company would agree that this is an unacceptable devaluation of the car once the finance period is up.

I should point out the seat covers have been replaced, at Volvo's cost now, I now need to wait and see if the new covers hold up to me using the car, in what I believe is a very normal way, by getting in and out of it.

Thanks!
The XC90 Mark I suffered from the same issue... weird they have not fixed it. A friend got this issue at 2,5 years old and Volvo high replaced it FOC. we did at 3,5 and they refused and asked for £300. They even said they never saw this before (while there was a long thread on the internet) and my friend went a month before. Dealer asked me to contact Volvo UK. Volvo UK said I should contact my dealer and was not interested. Seat was fixed with an £10 sticky patch on ebay which is still fine 3,5 years later... so better quality than Volvo original leather.
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote