Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From XC60 to Porsche Macan or BMW X3?

Views : 160722

Replies : 1567

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2016, 22:22   #391
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Default Deliberations are only just starting.......

Airanne
Like you, I have high standards and expectations and have been following your deliberations with interest. I do 100% agree with your thoughts on the X4, but had not really considered the F-Pace until now.
So I have just spent 30 mins in the configerator getting my spec upto my currently loaded XC60 bearing in mind my next XC60 would have to be a T5 or higher power Petrol unit, hence I was left with only the 3.0 V6 auto AWD model starting at £51k. The shape of the car just looks so amazing in black with a few chrome trim lines to set it off, but when loaded with the equivalent toys to current - I was looking at £61k...........which is a £20k gap to my max discounted cost on my current one.
So with no urgency to replace for 18 months, I will wait to compare the MY18 low discounted new model XC60 (Petrol version) v the future discounted above F-Pace when I reckon the gap will be mush closer which will be an interesting decision........!
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 22:31   #392
Arianne
Premier Member

Simon, looking at the specification of your current XC60, I myself would not be rushing to change as it is the perfect package in my opinion. Shame I didn't work that out back in late 2013!

£61k is a lot of options though. As is the £20k difference. Having said that, what we have realised recently is just what good value our XC60 has been. We got a very good offer through Drive the Deal which, together with Volvo's big push for volume sales in 2013/14 benefited us at the time.

Now it's back to the real world....

Arianne
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 22:42   #393
andymcp
Premier Member

Arianne, regarding colours I would say that while the lines on the Jag are good, I found the silver I saw today hid some of them leaving the bulk of the car very visible. A pearlescent paint will no doubt help, and Jag's red and blue both show it well. I'm not convinced by their grey, but others I spoke to tonight had seen black and raved about it (apart from one who saw black, with privacy glass and black alloys who said it was all too much). I've rarely seen a car carry racing green off well and have found SUVs to be worse just because of surface area, but that's subjective and I'm also colour blind to what I see will be different to you.

The price is the big thing for me. If I'm spending £40k (as I would be on an XC60 to my spec), then would I feel it was the right car when I passed a Jag? Or would I spend/finance the extra and know I got the car I wanted? I'm fortunate to be able to afford the choice but it has to 'feel' right. I admire the VEA engineering even with the turtle problem which will one day get sorted. But I don't need it for my next car so can indulge other areas now, such as a spicy V6. And with all the VEA issues I am somewhat relieved to see adblue in the Jag brochure if I reverted to the diesel V6.

For me there's still the option of a V60 Polestar (original, not VEA). But that would mean different choices across our two cars and therefore changing both. Going to an SUV comes with the benefit of car #2 not needing changed for a few years more.

This car choice game is a nice problem to have sometimes!

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav

Last edited by andymcp; Apr 10th, 2016 at 23:02.
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 23:10   #394
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Having said that, what we have realised recently is just what good value our XC60 has been.
Now it's back to the real world....

Arianne
I suspect that the R&D and tooling on the XC60 is now all full depreciated hence the ability to offer some great value for money deals............until the new "platform" XC60 comes along in 2017/18.......
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 23:10   #395
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post
This car choice game is a nice problem to have sometimes!
Indeed. It's almost free and great fun really. Good points about colours. Until tomorrow then.....
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 23:15   #396
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Indeed. It's almost free and great fun really. Good points about colours. Until tomorrow then.....
Airanne. You know you just love cleaning your car - who else goes on holiday all the way to Austria and incurs the backlash of Mrs A by packing a full bucket and car wash kit at the expense of her handbags & shoes - so just check out the Black with chrome/stainless trim options - beautiful..........
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 23:46   #397
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Default F-Pace Fuel Tank size

For a large SUV the F-Pace has a very small fuel tank of only 63 litres which is 16% smaller than our XC60's - that could be a compromise somewhere in the underfloor design somewhere?
Old Apr 11th, 2016, 00:09   #398
andymcp
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
For a large SUV the F-Pace has a very small fuel tank of only 63 litres which is 16% smaller than our XC60's - that could be a compromise somewhere in the underfloor design somewhere?
There are some odd bits of positioning going on sub-floor, but you're right on the tank capacity. One of the negatives I alluded to earlier, especially when I think the XF has a larger 68 litre tank...

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2016, 01:15   #399
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post
There are some odd bits of positioning going on sub-floor, but you're right on the tank capacity. One of the negatives I alluded to earlier, especially when I think the XF has a larger 68 litre tank...
That's why they've had to use Ad Blue. They haven't been able to get the DPF near enough to the engine to enable it run hot enough not to need it. I'm guessing the fuel tank and Ad Blue tank share the same space.
Old Apr 11th, 2016, 01:47   #400
NigelDay
Premier Member

I could throw the cat (the Jag !) amongst the pigeons and mention the Touareg has the option of a 100 litre fuel tank. Also goodies like height-adjustable air suspension and a parking heater. Significant discounts will be on the table for sure. Delivery times will be sensible. I know it is probably too big, but it would be interesting to compare the many goodies you could afford on a Touareg compared to the Jag. Have you had a test drive in a Touareg ? Perhaps you should if only to categorically rule it out.
Back to the Jag. Can you get a proper test drive in the Jag to your intended tyre and suspension specification before you have to order ?
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw x3, porsche macan