Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon: Heater box leak in footwells, Radweld?

Views : 1750

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2016, 07:50   #1
SvenSomerset

Default Amazon: Heater box leak in footwells, Radweld?

Hey folks, We've an annoying leak into the footwells from the bottom of the heater box inside the car, tried using some Arbomast to stop it but no dice... a friend suggested that I pop some Radweld into the radiator (well, the expansion bottle) and that'd find its way through the hot water system and plug the leak, any opinions on whether a) that would work, and b) any downsides to using Radweld? Please advise, soonest! Cheers, Joss
SvenSomerset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 08:47   #2
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Hy Joss, Arbomast can't work.
shure it is fluid from the engine?
Don't use radweld, this sh.. stuff you can use if you want to scrap the car in the next few month. It will glue and destroy the heater valve. Do put it in the expansion bottle is without sense. will never work.
Do get out the heater matrix of a Amazon is not really difficult.
In front of check the water line scarefully. If the matrix is corroded your car will have other problems too.
First thing to do:
Remove the water lines from the heater and build a short circuit with some copper tube. You will be able to drive the car (to the garage or...)
Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 11:33   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

There is a short moulded rubber tube which fits into a hole at the bottom of the heater box. This drains any water that collects in the bottom of the box and runs through a hole in the floor. Yes. this can be a leak from the matrix and if so you will often be able to smell the anti-freeze, but can also be from heavy rain. Carefully check under the bottom edge of the heater inside the car, there is a small gap between the heater and the mat. If extra carpeting has been fitted it's easy to break it off or pop it out of the hole in the floor. If it has been broken off beware that if you try and replace it, that originally there is a small plastic sleeve fitted that makes the grommet part of the tube a snug fit in the hole to minimise leaks. Bottom of the box can be rusty. It's a pain to have to take the whole heater box out just to renew this part so pushing the broken bit up into the box and then fitting a new one with some sealant is a method that can be used. Brookhouse has the tube but I doubt if it comes with the plastic piece.
http://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/p...7&page=A_Hoses
If it is the matrix then the box will have to come out anyway.
Make sure the drain pipe that runs down the side of the heater under bonnet is clear.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 11:55   #4
SvenSomerset

Thanks, Derek, is this the part I'd want? Come to think of it, reaching behind the bottom of the heater box, there did seem to be a central 'hole' in the box on the firewall side, is that where the hose you're talking about should go? Maybe when I had the heavy rubber mats up during the summer, to dry out the floor pan, they knocked the hose out!

Last edited by SvenSomerset; Dec 12th, 2016 at 12:46.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 13:15   #5
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Yes Joss. You should check first what kind of water is comming out! If it's not coolant water you will solve the prob with this peace of rubber, I asked you for about beeing shure if it's coolant for that reason.
The heaterbox is easy to remove in relation to a P1800 or newer volvos. Don't and never listen to people which speak about radweld and a historic car in one sentence!
You will have knocked out and destroyed the small peace of rubber hose if you removed the rubber floor mats and didn't know about this item.
Good luck, Kay

Last edited by mocambique-amazone; Dec 12th, 2016 at 13:18. Reason: sh... mobile
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 13:58   #6
SvenSomerset

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Yes Joss. You should check first what kind of water is comming out! If it's not coolant water you will solve the prob with this peace of rubber, I asked you for about beeing shure if it's coolant for that reason.
The heaterbox is easy to remove in relation to a P1800 or newer volvos. Don't and never listen to people which speak about radweld and a historic car in one sentence!
You will have knocked out and destroyed the small peace of rubber hose if you removed the rubber floor mats and didn't know about this item.
Good luck, Kay
Apologies for not replying sooner, Kay! Yes, it's coolant, so it'll be that pipe – it may just have come out and still be sticking out through the transmission tunnel... many thanks, folks!
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 14:57   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Having the rubber drain fitted properly may solve your wet floor but won't cure the leaking matrix. Yes, it is the one you pictured. If you are sure that the fluid is coolant, the matrix will need to be removed and repaired. The fault is often where one of the pipes for the hoses are soldered into the matrix casing. This comes about if the pipe is yanked about when you are trying to remove a stuck hose. How easy it is to repair will depend on the size of the split. Will need a heavy duty soldering iron and maybe a hot air gun too. If there is an old school radiator shop near you it should be a piece of cake for them. If no cracks show, have it pressure tested. For DIY, an old bicycle inner tub can be used across the 2 pipes. Put the matrix under water and pump up the valve with a few pounds. Watch for bubbles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 15:27   #8
SvenSomerset

Ah, thanks for enlightening me, Derek! Well, I'll try and refit the hose, or buy a new one, and then keep an eye on the coolant level until the New Year, when I'll talk to our local mechanic, who'll doubtless be able to repair the matrix - he worked a lot on Amazons back in the day... I should add that the leak only occurs when the heater vents are in the 'open' position, not when they're closed, does that mean it still may be the matrix or pipes leaking, rather than just the drain pipe missing?

Last edited by SvenSomerset; Dec 12th, 2016 at 15:53.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 17:36   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

A few variables there. If the flap on the heater to floor vent has very good seals it might just stop large amounts of fluid getting through but it would still drain out of the tube or the hole for the tube. If the tube/hole is blocked there is very little room for the fluid to pool before it spills out of the air vent. If the matrix is leaking somewhere your coolant level will go down at about the same rate as the leak. That will be hard to judge but do keep an eye on the coolant level.
If the heater valve is leaking you'll find it dripping on the pedals and your feet, the drivers that is.
Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 00:58   #10
SvenSomerset

Went out for a nice trip to Warminster today, it was freezing cold so I put the heater on – when I looked in the old takeway tub I'd jammed under the bottom of the heater box, after getting home, the liquid in there was a manky brown-ish colour, not in any way resembling the 'blue' coolant we use. So I guess it's just a new rubber drain pipe that's needed after all! I had a poke around the back of the heater box when I jammed the plastic container under there and located what may indeed have been the old pipe, which likely got pushed back into the box when I had the front mats peeled back... what mastic/sealant would be best for coating the 'box' end of the drain pipe when fitting a new one?