Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus Reboots

Views : 2943

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2017, 23:19   #1
neon
Premier Member

Default Sensus Reboots

Had a rare short 5 mile journey today when my wife was driving and I sat in the 2nd row.
She used my key and only changed the position of the seat but I notice twice Sensus rebooted. I have never had this happen to me apart from once in the first few weeks of getting the car. Very weird.
BTW, was very comfortable sitting in the second row.
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 23:41   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

have you had the latest software update installed (came out May time)? Apparently this has helped with Sensus reboots.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 06:27   #3
volvo for ever
Premier Member

software changes weekly the new sw they were working onfot rebooting ihu is just out and availiable on total upgrade ..

next 2 weeks there will be more updates and so on so forth ..

regards
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 10:56   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

Mine rebooted twice the other day for no obvious reason as I'd changed/done nothing out of the normal routine. This was after many months without a reboot.

Still, it's nothing compared to Microsoft's efforts. I've just spent an hour fixing a Windows Update that went wrong. And they've had 20+ years to try to get it right.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 12:26   #5
Calc
ex Land Rover defector

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
software changes weekly the new sw they were working onfot rebooting ihu is just out and availiable on total upgrade ..

next 2 weeks there will be more updates and so on so forth ..

regards
How can you tell what version is installed?

And how often is it worth getting a 'total upgrade'? Will Volvo do this ongoingly at request - or just to solve problems / issues?

Are the 'more upgrades' likely to be minor downloadable ones or again, needing total upgrade?
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 12:29   #6
uro1

Must be something in the weather - had my first ever reboot today. After that the rear view camara did not work.
I will have the car in the garage in friday for other reasons. Will have them look after it too.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 13:01   #7
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calc View Post
How can you tell what version is installed?
You can't. Also, there are multiple modules within the car, each with their own s/w version. A Total Update ensures they're all at the latest level.

Quote:
And how often is it worth getting a 'total upgrade'? Will Volvo do this ongoingly at request - or just to solve problems / issues?
Not sure they'll do it unless there's a problem. Plus, if it ain't broke...

Quote:
Are the 'more upgrades' likely to be minor downloadable ones or again, needing total upgrade?
None of the car's essential systems can be updated via a user download. Only the navigation system and apps can be updated by the user.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 15:49   #8
neon
Premier Member

Oh well, at least no one has come on and said, I must have imagined it or it happens on all cars or it must have been my fault or what do you expect for a car only costing £55k.
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 15:58   #9
berrymanuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Oh well, at least no one has come on and said, I must have imagined it or it happens on all cars or it must have been my fault or what do you expect for a car only costing £55k.
I was driving into Leicester where I work one morning, and switched between Spotify app and DAB as I got onto Melton Road. The radio station hung, Sensus rebooted three times after getting "ready" and then lost DAB for the remainder of the 20 minute journey.

Factory reset everything and it's not appeared since.

PAST:
MY13.5 V60 D5 SE Lux Nav | MY07 S80 D5 SE Sport | MY03.5 S80 2.4 SE | MY01.5 S80 SE |
berrymanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 16:39   #10
Jcbrown

Volvo are aware of this issue, and there are a number of threads on this forum about it.

This issue (actually Sensus locking, rather than rebooting) was one of the main reasons (there were others) my first S90 was rejected.

The latest I heard from, my local dealer, is that the May update was intended to resolve the majority of issues. There is another major update planned around late November this year which "should" resolve all issues.

The latest thinking (well a couple of months old now, but i have not heard anything different) is that it is caused by an internal memory/disk management problem related to fragmentation. However, this is very difficult to diagnose. Some may remember my car was running diagnostics for Volvo for some weeks in an attempt to help identify this issue. However, Sensus behaved itself during the time i had the monitor enabled, so this did not help.

Since my car was updated in May, Sensus has rebooted twice - once immediately after the other whilst I was on my drive. Other than that it has behaved well.

There are a number of posts about how uninstalling specific apps solve the issue. Personally I do not hold to this, as Sensus has locked/rebooted when i did not have the apps installed, and has behaved whilst they are installed (and being used). However, if it solves the problem for you, then great.

Given how Volvo position Sensus (see below), and how central the system is to the vehicle, the system should not lock-up/reboot at all. Sure, the odd one maybe as a result of failing components, substandard solder joints, ... But to still be experiencing the apparent high-rate of failures, acknowledge that it is s/w related (not h/w), and to still be experience such fundamental issues almost 3 years into its production life realy is not acceptable on any vehicle, let alone ones being sold as a premium brand/model.

Quote:
Our way of connecting you with your Volvo and the world around you is Sensus – intelligent technology that enhances every journey and makes life easier, whether you’re in your car or not. Sensus is intuitive and makes your Volvo a part of your digital, connected world.

Each feature is thoughtfully designed, allowing you to control and personalise every aspect of the drive, because we want you to love your car as much on the inside as you do on the out.

Technology at your command
With easy-to-read high-definition touch screens, steering wheel and voice controls that respond to your command and head-up displays that provide visual information while allowing you to keep your eyes on the road, Sensus puts the latest technology at your fingertips. It opens up a new dimension of information, entertainment and connectivity. As well as being there to help you, it’s also there to entertain, with state-of-the-art audio systems that deliver the finest in sound.