Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How many miles to a tank?

Views : 1953

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2017, 19:13   #1
Jimrod

Default How many miles to a tank?

Hi guys,

Now I've got my S90 (D4) ordered I'm interested to know how many miles people are getting to a tank? I was concerned that it's a bit small at 55 litres, same as my current Yeti! I get between 400-450 miles from that which "officially" gets 51mpg... I figure in theory 500+ should easily be doable under normal mixed driving for the S90? It nearly swung me to an Audi A6 because it's got a far bigger tank but then I came to my senses. 😄 Couldn't be another Audi driver!

Thanks for any input!
Jimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 19:25   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

just been speaking to someone who says he gets average of 58.5 mpg.

I certainly don't get that on my D5 (more like mid 40's at best).

Of course, it's all down to where and how you drive!
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 19:42   #3
berrymanuk

I average 57 on a daily commute of 48 miles each way... I've had 62/65 between Lincoln/Manchester and Lincoln/Southend. 550 from full to empty.

I set ACC at 68mph. I find the EU speed limits work better for economy...

PAST:
MY13.5 V60 D5 SE Lux Nav | MY07 S80 D5 SE Sport | MY03.5 S80 2.4 SE | MY01.5 S80 SE |

Last edited by berrymanuk; Aug 16th, 2017 at 19:47.
berrymanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 19:55   #4
cassell
Member since 1988

I have a 2017 V90 D4 Inscription and according to today's data on the car I've done 294 miles since the last fill up and have a further 280 miles to go, the fuel gauge is showing exactly half full, so that's some 570 miles on a tank!

I reset the trip consumption regularly and get anything between 39mpg on local short trips to 53mpg on a steady motorway run.

Having come from a 2006 XC90 D5 auto, these fuel figures are music to my ears!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 20:10   #5
Avallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymanuk View Post
I average 57 on a daily commute of 48 miles each way... I've had 62/65 between Lincoln/Manchester and Lincoln/Southend. 550 from full to empty.

I set ACC at 68mph. I find the EU speed limits work better for economy...
That's good to know - I'm curious to see how I'll do on the A15 when I get mine...

NB. Feel free to repeatedly drive up and down Broadgate in Lincoln - I've been keeping my eyes peeled for any S90s in Lincs, but literally haven't seen a single one in weeks!
Avallon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Avallon For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 20:19   #6
berrymanuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avallon View Post
That's good to know - I'm curious to see how I'll do on the A15 when I get mine...

NB. Feel free to repeatedly drive up and down Broadgate in Lincoln - I've been keeping my eyes peeled for any S90s in Lincs, but literally haven't seen a single one in weeks!
Haha! Will do!

I see loads of V90s now, but hardly as S's

PAST:
MY13.5 V60 D5 SE Lux Nav | MY07 S80 D5 SE Sport | MY03.5 S80 2.4 SE | MY01.5 S80 SE |

Last edited by berrymanuk; Aug 16th, 2017 at 21:05.
berrymanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 21:52   #7
Jcbrown

not done any massive consistent long trips in my S90 (D4), but have got over 70MPG on a few 100-mile trips: steady 70MPH with some 50MPH zones, mode set to ECO. Then they tend to be followed by lots of stop/start town driving

My average is currently low 50s I think (not got VoC handy to check) - will check tomorrow.

Still, have had 550+ out of a tank a few times. Not sure of exact figures - I must start taking more notice

I know thing depend a huge amount of how you drive. My last car (1.6-Eco model Skoda) would struggle to get 400 miles out of a tank before light came on when my wife used it permanently for school run, town, shops, gym... I would usually get 450-500 when I used it for mix of short trips and motorway plods. Yet I got over 700 (and light had not come on), when I did Glasgow and back in a day.

I am sure you will love the S90,as berryman says - not many about, which one of the reasons I chose (and struck) with the S90. I like to be different (just like everyone else does )
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 06:38   #8
Jimrod

Thanks for all the info guys! Sounds about as expected. The bulk of my daily driving is a pretty easy 13 mile each way commute, about half and half in stop/start and quiet dual carriageway driving. The Yeti (150tdi dsg) has crept up from about 36 to 40mpg on that route as the engine has had some miles put on it. I'd realistically expect to get low 40's on the same route with the S90, I expect the real benefit will come at motorway speeds on longer trips due to aerodynamics as much as anything! It'll be nice not having to flaff about with AdBlue too!

I agree about the rarity, I had a fairly hard time even finding many comparison pics of the standard R-Design in black and silver on Google aside from the odd sales ad, I've not seen an S90 on the road since I started looking, a couple of V90's.

On my test drive I didn't feel the need to really test that much, it was comfortable, quick enough and torquey, turned corners pretty flat, gripped well, brakes felt lovely and progressive and generally felt like a weighty, solid car - reminded me of my old '2000 5-Series, in a good way. I think the only negatives I remember were the stereo sounding unexpectedly a little thin and a sharp, also oddly distant (on DAB radio), the Yeti actually sounds really nice without any tweaking, but I'm sure I can EQ that to something I prefer (I design speakers for a living!) and the gearbox was a little slow to react to a quick prod of the pedal but it's not a sports car and was great under normal driving! Looking forward to it arriving... In 4 months!
Jimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 06:53   #9
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymanuk View Post
I see loads of V90s now, but hardly as S's
Like you, seen quite a few V90's, but very few S90s -2 I think in 6 months. I have actually seen more Bentley Bentayga SVs on the road than I have S90s.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 07:02   #10
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrod View Post
Looking forward to it arriving... In 4 months!
Reading some of the posts on here it sounds like people are getting their vehicles ahead of the initial delivery date.

I am sure it will be worth the wait, and you will love it. Despite all the problems I have had (and there have been quite a few), I still like mine. If there is a choice we always take the S90 over my wife's Skoda Superb, even if we have to perform a 93-point turn on the drive to get past the neighbour (shared drive ). My daughter actually choses it over "Mam's car", something she has not done with my previous cars