Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How many miles to a tank?

Views : 1938

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2017, 07:56   #11
Jimrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbrown View Post
Reading some of the posts on here it sounds like people are getting their vehicles ahead of the initial delivery date.

I am sure it will be worth the wait, and you will love it. Despite all the problems I have had (and there have been quite a few), I still like mine. If there is a choice we always take the S90 over my wife's Skoda Superb, even if we have to perform a 93-point turn on the drive to get past the neighbour (shared drive ). My daughter actually choses it over "Mam's car", something she has not done with my previous cars
That's interesting - the Superb was also on my shortlist but coming from the Yeti I wanted a change of scenery, anything VW group would have similar steering wheel, switchgear, infotainment systems etc... The Volvo really stood out to me as a design which had at least tried where most manufacturers seem to have settled into a lazy rut.

I haven't looked into reliability much, still a fairly new model and no horror stories jumped out, just mildly iffy Sensus systems which I guess will incrementally improve. I hope your problems are being solved?! I do think other companies have done a slightly better job with the digital dash - the graphics seem a touch low rent compared to some I've seen in Audi's and the like.

One thing I do wonder about is mine being one of the new Chinese built ones (I think?) - nothing wrong with that in itself, I have most of my company's products made there! (As do many far far bigger brands of course! ) But the QC is not always great and needs strict management in my experience, which is quite easy when you're a customer such as Apple to Foxconn - but Volvo are owned by Geely so they may be keener just to get them out the door! (I also have experience of that having had my company owned by a Malaysian manufacturer for many years - we always had poorer pricing and came behind their actual customers!). I'm sure it'll be fine though, if not at least there's the warranty!
Jimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimrod For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 08:47   #12
berrymanuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrod View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! Sounds about as expected. The bulk of my daily driving is a pretty easy 13 mile each way commute, about half and half in stop/start and quiet dual carriageway driving. The Yeti (150tdi dsg) has crept up from about 36 to 40mpg on that route as the engine has had some miles put on it. I'd realistically expect to get low 40's on the same route with the S90, I expect the real benefit will come at motorway speeds on longer trips due to aerodynamics as much as anything! It'll be nice not having to flaff about with AdBlue too!

I agree about the rarity, I had a fairly hard time even finding many comparison pics of the standard R-Design in black and silver on Google aside from the odd sales ad, I've not seen an S90 on the road since I started looking, a couple of V90's.

On my test drive I didn't feel the need to really test that much, it was comfortable, quick enough and torquey, turned corners pretty flat, gripped well, brakes felt lovely and progressive and generally felt like a weighty, solid car - reminded me of my old '2000 5-Series, in a good way. I think the only negatives I remember were the stereo sounding unexpectedly a little thin and a sharp, also oddly distant (on DAB radio), the Yeti actually sounds really nice without any tweaking, but I'm sure I can EQ that to something I prefer (I design speakers for a living!) and the gearbox was a little slow to react to a quick prod of the pedal but it's not a sports car and was great under normal driving! Looking forward to it arriving... In 4 months!
The audio is good, without the sub or the B&W system .. But you do have to mess with the EQ to perfect it somewhat. I do like that Volvo build the Soundstage to front bias by default... audio output when moving slightly to rear bias isn't all that clear.
Gearbox I find a bit hesitant too, but I've only got my old 6-speed Auto from my ex V60 D5 215 to compare it too.
Other than that, it's a good motorway wafter

PAST:
MY13.5 V60 D5 SE Lux Nav | MY07 S80 D5 SE Sport | MY03.5 S80 2.4 SE | MY01.5 S80 SE |
berrymanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to berrymanuk For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 09:08   #13
Jimrod

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrymanuk View Post
The audio is good, without the sub or the B&W system .. But you do have to mess with the EQ to perfect it somewhat. I do like that Volvo build the Soundstage to front bias by default... audio output when moving slightly to rear bias isn't all that clear.
Gearbox I find a bit hesitant too, but I've only got my old 6-speed Auto from my ex V60 D5 215 to compare it too.
Other than that, it's a good motorway wafter
I couldn't spec the B&W system even if I wanted it, just out of principal as a rival company.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 09:08   #14
NickHoward

OK..... I'm gonna be the one to say it.

The mpg figures achieved above must be due to mid-long length trips at a consistent "below speed limit" speed.

I'm not going to say any specific speed, but I tend to drive around in "dynamic" - As a lot of my journeys are relatively short (under 20 miles) and have a few roundabouts to contend with (the start stop get's annoying at busy roundabouts, and the increased throttle response from "dynamic" is useful).

Very rarely will I get out for a long drive (30 miles plus).

My average MPG over the first 4.5K is in the low 40's......

Cudos to you guys who can eek out 50+

Past:MY15 XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav, Black
NickHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 09:17   #15
Jimrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHoward View Post
OK..... I'm gonna be the one to say it.

The mpg figures achieved above must be due to mid-long length trips at a consistent "below speed limit" speed.

I'm not going to say any specific speed, but I tend to drive around in "dynamic" - As a lot of my journeys are relatively short (under 20 miles) and have a few roundabouts to contend with (the start stop get's annoying at busy roundabouts, and the increased throttle response from "dynamic" is useful).

Very rarely will I get out for a long drive (30 miles plus).

My average MPG over the first 4.5K is in the low 40's......

Cudos to you guys who can eek out 50+
I can totally believe that, still as I would have expected really - when I used to get 35-36 in the Yeti I used to drive it much harder (coming from faster cars) but I've gradually settled to the more leisurely performance of the car, nowadays it's always about 40-41mpg by the time I get to work and I'll be happy if the S90 can do that or better on a fairly fresh engine over the same route!

40mpg was actually my average in the Yeti over the first 5000 miles or so (I'd started trying to drive more economically too!) and I expect it's around the same now (17k). I think the aerodynamics on the longer runs will come into play, the Yeti is like a brick and you feel it at 70mph+! Most I've had from a tank is around 450 miles, well into the fuel light zone.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 09:21   #16
NickHoward

You'll definitely be able to get 500+ miles out of a tank if you consciously drive it economically.

I tend to get about 450, and that is really driving it with no care for economy at all!

Past:MY15 XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav, Black
NickHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickHoward For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 14:27   #17
tem
Premier Member

Default V90 mpg.

I will share my experiences with the V90.

I last reset the trip meter on the 31st May, just before setting off on a trip to Italy.
In the thumbnail you will see that the car has covered 3450.1 miles, since last reset and the average fuel consumption is 56.2 mpg.

The trip to Italy involved the Fern and Brenner Pass, in both directions.
On arrival at my destination (Dobbiaco), the average mpg was just over 61.2.
I then spent the next 7 days doing around 10 miles/day, in very mountainous terrain. The average mpg dropped to 57.4.
On returning back home, on the 16th June, the average mpg was indicating 59.2.
During this trip, I also spent 3 days, commuting between Luxemborg, Germany and France.
On the Autobahn's I drove at between 70/75 mph.

Since returning home, I have only done one other long trip, of 216 miles and all the rest have been short journeys, the longest being around 40 miles.

I hope this gives some idea what the V90 will achieve, but point out, that I do next to no city driving.

tem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170817_125447595_HDR.jpg (111.8 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by tem; Aug 17th, 2017 at 14:31. Reason: Add text.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 21:03   #18
Jcbrown

Todays trip - 211 mile round trip from north Leics to central London (Barbican). Trip counter reset about 6 miles in when I filled-up

Overall MPG was about 66MPG. Mainly motorway with PA2 set to 70MPH, though a lot of that was variable 60, 50 and 40MPH, and down to zero due to queues. 15 odd miles each way of camera enforced 50MPH through roadwork's. And 10 miles each way of fun London crawl. Car set to Eco mode for the majority of the trip, Comfort the rest. No need for Dynamic on this trip

Total time behind the wheel 6h7m, for 211 miles = 34.5MPH average - very depressing when you consider 90% was motorway

"Theoretical" tank distance of 835 miles! Not bad Now I know I would not actually get anywhere near that, as I would have to continue driving with the same (or better) economy. But I would expect 550 - 600 if I was to continue similar driving, and not the short, town trips I will be doing for the next few days.

Overall MPG for 7,000 miles: 51.3

Last edited by Jcbrown; Aug 17th, 2017 at 23:22.
Jcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 21:30   #19
Avallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrod View Post
That's interesting - the Superb was also on my shortlist but coming from the Yeti I wanted a change of scenery, anything VW group would have similar steering wheel, switchgear, infotainment systems etc... The Volvo really stood out to me as a design which had at least tried where most manufacturers seem to have settled into a lazy rut.

I haven't looked into reliability much, still a fairly new model and no horror stories jumped out, just mildly iffy Sensus systems which I guess will incrementally improve. I hope your problems are being solved?! I do think other companies have done a slightly better job with the digital dash - the graphics seem a touch low rent compared to some I've seen in Audi's and the like.

One thing I do wonder about is mine being one of the new Chinese built ones (I think?) - nothing wrong with that in itself, I have most of my company's products made there! (As do many far far bigger brands of course! ) But the QC is not always great and needs strict management in my experience, which is quite easy when you're a customer such as Apple to Foxconn - but Volvo are owned by Geely so they may be keener just to get them out the door! (I also have experience of that having had my company owned by a Malaysian manufacturer for many years - we always had poorer pricing and came behind their actual customers!). I'm sure it'll be fine though, if not at least there's the warranty!
Well that's worrying. Everyone keeps raving about the standard speakers - now it appears they may not be as good :/ I wonder if my Neat Elites will fit on the backseat...
Avallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 23:14   #20
nu11eaf
Premier Member

My last trip of 53 miles I was very pleased to return 24 mpg, across Yorkshire moors to Flamingo land near Pickering, I was hauling a 1.6 ton caravan on the back plus everything including the kitchen sink. My average over 14 months = 28 mpg, majnly short round town runs and pulling our second home. Best ever run without caravan, I think was 43 mpg. (D5 XC90)

Last edited by nu11eaf; Aug 18th, 2017 at 00:19.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote