Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

98 v70 high idle

Views : 295

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 23:28   #1
Gtin

Default 98 v70 high idle

Hey guys, im new here. I have a NA 98 v70 with a manual transmissision, almost 249k miles, bought it a few years back and after 3 months it overheated and stopped running right, it sat for a while and then i got a head job on it but it still didnt run right, so i set off fixing every problem i could whenever i had time and money over the last couple years, at this point it has a head job with fresh valves, a new radiator, a new pcv valve, new (used) oem bosch MAF, plugs, wires, battery, and as what i thought to be the final piece of the puzzle it has a new fuel pump.

Now it runs great ive driven it over 400 miles in the past week with no trouble except a steady high idle, it doesnt fluctuate it just idles firmly around 1500 rpm. Had a check engine code so i got it ran and it came back with p0505 idle air control system as well as p0455 evap emission system leak detected. So i tore into the idle air control valve, it was grungy and stuck, cleaned it out thinking i had solved my problem but it still idles high.

Here comes the weird part, i take off the hose running from the intake to the iac and try to choke it but the car doesnt die, so i thought maybe air was getting in around my throttle, removed the air intake to see the butterfly but without the intake pipe it idles (a bit jumpily) around the 800-1000 mark, with my hand over the throttle i can feel suction and a bit of carb cleaner there revs the engine so i know air is getting in, i just dont understand why its not enough to do anything major until the pipe is on. Also i know its not the throttle cable, i took it off to check, and i tried to adjust the stop screw but its siezed to the point of stripping rather than moving and has paint marks lining it up i guess from a previous job that show me its where its always been.

Last edited by Gtin; Aug 22nd, 2017 at 23:31.
Gtin is offline   Reply With Quote