Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exterior temp display and blowers

Views : 466

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2018, 17:38   #1
RailwayRev

Default Exterior temp display and blowers

I have an odd issue with the external temp display on my 1999 V70. It seems to be over reading considerably when the car is stationary, although it appears normal when moving. My last v70 didn't seem to do this, or if it did I never noticed.

Can this effect the climate control at all? I only ask as I know on some other cars it can (jag xjs being one).

The blowers on mine have developed an intermittent fault, everything works as it should and lights up, but at times the fan does not operate. I gave the internal temp sensor a quick blow out last night and nothing changed, but this morning all was working again.

It continued to work until I got stuck in traffic and the exterior temp gauge went up to 35 degrees. Once I was moving again and the gauge fell, they started working again albeit intermittently.

Is this two faults or just the one?
RailwayRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 17:59   #2
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

On my 99' V70, the fan was intermittent for a few months. Eventually it had the orange light(s) flashing indicating the fan was dead. Swapped it for a good 2nd hand one from a forum member and that was solved.
My outside temp sensor is dead. So can't say if the two are linked . Personally I'd say not ....
Good luck.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 22:10   #3
RailwayRev

Orange flashing lights after I started her up this evening, looks like it is the fan up the spout then.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 08:10   #4
Cookeh
Premier Member

Temp will increase and show erroneous values if sat in traffic due to heat buildup from engine and exhaust fumes around it. Its explained in the owners manual Sounds like you have a separate fan issue, though.
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 08:11   #5
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

I would say so. Good News is swapping is a doddle compared to ph2 models. .
There is a Volvo /Saab breakers near Nottingham who will source you a good one and post if needed.
Good luck.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 08:54   #6
RailwayRev

Thanks for the advice, I will have to get hold of an owners manual and read it.

When I get a few minutes I will pull the fan out to find the part number and get one ordered. Living in Wales having working demisters even in the summer is a must.
Also black cars with black leather interiors heat up very quickly in the sun and while I can understand the benefits of saunas and realise their importance in Swedish culture, I have no desire to drive one.
The Following User Says Thank You to RailwayRev For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 14:45   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Heater blower is a doddle to swap, glovebox out, dash pad down, 3 or 4 bolts and out it comes. You don't need to pull it to see the part number. If you remove the glovebox you can very easily read the part number from the blower motor without dismantling further. It's important because several types were used, and they are not all interchangeable.

If the car has a passenger airbag then disconnect the battery 30 minutes before you start work. If the darn thing were to go off as you're heaving out the blower motor there'd be an instant reduction in the car's resale value!

There's a resistor pack too that might be worth swapping.

Outside temp reading is a highly moveable feast when stood in traffic.

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Jun 22nd, 2018 at 14:48.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 20:04   #8
Alpine

might be worth unplugging the outside temperature sensor and inspecting/cleaning, mine was full of water. It is behind and under the front bumper
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpine For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 18:38   #9
RailwayRev

I finally got around to playing with the heater blower today. It appears that there is a loose connection in or behind the two pin socket. If the proverbial bit of fag packet is pushed in between the body of the motor and the socket/plug assembly it works.
Next step is to pull it out and dismantle to see if anything was come adrift inside that may respond to a quick wave of the soldering iron.
The Following User Says Thank You to RailwayRev For This Useful Post: