Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Interior lighting not activated by doors

Views : 4059

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 18:01   #11
morwenna240

Umm, that militates to one of the door switches being stuck "on". Try taking out each switch in turn, disconnect, that may show a defective switch. I'm assuming the light unit is in good, clean order, contacts making an breaking as should.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 19:01   #12
JDW3696

That's a good idea. Thankyou for that. I'll give it a go. Yeah the light switch itself is spotless and all the connections are good.
I'll let you know how I get on. Thankyou for that
JDW3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 19:13   #13
Euroboy

Look out for shorts ahah !

This is def going to be my next project.
My car didnt had a bulb in the dome light so I never had interior lights. I pulled out my old plastic-y piece of moisture that used to be the headliner. I don't think I'll put one back in, its a pain to do anyway. Ima hide some lights in the structure of the roof, like the beams. I'll look cool for sure + I gained a few cm of head room.

Any experience you'll get will help me ^^

Good luck with that
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 20:09   #14
JDW3696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
Look out for shorts ahah !

This is def going to be my next project.
My car didnt had a bulb in the dome light so I never had interior lights. I pulled out my old plastic-y piece of moisture that used to be the headliner. I don't think I'll put one back in, its a pain to do anyway. Ima hide some lights in the structure of the roof, like the beams. I'll look cool for sure + I gained a few cm of head room.

Any experience you'll get will help me ^^

Good luck with that
Thankyou. I see you are in Angers. My parents have a place near there. Lovely place. You never know you might see a Volvo 240 driving around there sometime.
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 20:43   #15
Euroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW3696 View Post
Thankyou. I see you are in Angers. My parents have a place near there. Lovely place. You never know you might see a Volvo 240 driving around there sometime.
Nice !

There are a few 240s in my town. A diesel wagon, a sedan I think and a really really good looking 242 gt with original paint with the stripes and the period correct headlights ! My 88 white GL looks lame aside it ahah
The Following User Says Thank You to Euroboy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 17:41   #16
morwenna240

I was doing a job down near Agen, there were quite a few there, too; i saw an estate converted to a pick up. Ah, France! , why aren't our roads like yours?!
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 17:46   #17
Euroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna240 View Post
I was doing a job down near Agen, there were quite a few there, too; i saw an estate converted to a pick up. Ah, France! , why aren't our roads like yours?!
Our roads are great, well it depend on the region tho, but its very diverse. Italian roads are great too but in worse conditions and a little too windy for these old Volvos...

The only issues with our roads are... the cops, the laws and other drivers...

Back to the subject, have any of you done LED conversion, and if yes is it a good idea ? Im afraid that LEDs would kill the interior, I mean being bright as f'ck and too cold of a color ? I love the bulb's warm and soft light but sometimes I wish I had better lights... I don't know what kind of power the stock system can deliver, I could wire in a parallel LED system for when I need more light and keep the original system aside for when I don't !

But I need to finish installing this shiny 123 Dizzy before...
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 23:21   #18
morwenna240

There's no reason why u can't fit a pair of led driving lamps, the power draw from them is minimal compared to the same with H4 bulbs, the alternator would easily accomodate them. Get the lamps an a simple relay switch, use a main beam wire to the headlamp as the relay switch feed, the power wire for the new lamps goes directly to the battery. Voila!
The Following User Says Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 11:51   #19
JDW3696

So I disconnected the switches one by one and the light remained on. This suggests the circuits live at all times to me. I did find one broken switch so I'll replace that and if I have no joy an auto electrician can have a look.
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 12:38   #20
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Hello all.
Hopefully you can help with an annoying problem. My car is a 91 240se estate.
The interior light doesn't come on when you open the doors although the light does work when you put it in the on position, to the front of the car and to the rear of the car.
The boot opening does activate the resr light.
I guessed there was an issue with the door switches.
The passenger switch has two wires going to it but the drivers switch only one black and blue wire. Is this normal or is the drivers side door switch missing a wire?
I've cleaned them up but other than that I'm guessing replacements. I haven't checked the rear door switches yet but opening the rear doors does nothing either.
Has anyone got any ideas?
Many thanks in advance
Joe
Quote:
Hello. Thanks everyone. Took all of the door switches out and cleaned them up. No joy light still stays on even when doors are all shut. I'll try looking at the light itself and replacing the screws that earth the door switches next.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again
Joe
Are you saying that on your interior light, the switch forwards or backwards is on, and switch middle is off? Or ....

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote