Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.0D Dyno results

Views : 710

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2009, 20:34   #1
jcvosloo

Red face 2.0D Dyno results

Hi guys,

I own a 2005 S40 2.0D. I recently took it for a dyno and the results concluded that the max BHP was only 115 at 4000rp. The booklet state that the BHP should be 135 BHP. The engin sounds good, and the car doesn't have any other problems.

Do you think a loss of 20BHP is reason for concern?
jcvosloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 21:18   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

dyno's are all different , and can only be used for comparison between before and after modifications really . If your top speed and 0 - 70 mph times are about as per road test magazines then it will be producing the correct power .
If the 115 bhp was measured at the wheels thats not bad at all . The flywheel figure is calcilated from the power measured at the wheels on a rolling road Dyno . the only useful measurment from a dyno is fron a true dynamometer , ie , one which the engine is screwed to on a frame out of the car ..
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 22:18   #3
Robbijay
S60 D5 SE + Winter Pack

Like Clan said, are you sure it wasn't just measuring whp instead of bhp? transmission loss of 15% seems ok ish.
Robbijay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbijay For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 00:28   #4
Ben Hur

I think it is because of lower air density.

You're in Pretoria, which is 1,370 m (4,495 ft) above sea level. You should consider that a test done with the lower air density at this altitude would show a lower power result than a test close to sea level. An altitude of 5,000 ft could show the engine producing about 81.1% of the rated horsepower.
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben Hur For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 17:10   #5
jcvosloo

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies!

Hehe, Clan you just gave me reason to clean the old man's throat!

Also wandered about the altitude. I will contact the people who did the dyno and then give some feedback.
jcvosloo is offline   Reply With Quote