Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New tyres

Views : 1212

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2020, 15:34   #1
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Default New tyres

Two new tyres ordered today, Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season's @ £170 each fitted, happily these are £50 cheaper (each) than the two (same tyres) I fitted a last year after getting a none repairable puncture. Glad to finally get rid of the last two Conti not so silent tyres.
I was thinking about fitting Avon ZX7 @ £133.40 each but thought it best to keep them all the same, may try them next time. (they are good enough for Rolls Royce).
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jan 15th, 2020 at 15:40.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 17:29   #2
Computastar

The Avon's are good tyres, fitter them to the Merc, although the reinforced walls caused the fitter some issues, went for the reinforced wall option on the Merc as the diamond cut wheels were very easily marked, not sure Id go for them on the XC90, the wheels seem pretty robust.
Computastar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Computastar For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 18:38   #3
BiggyG

Have the same Pirelli’s.

I don’t know if you happen to use the M25 between Heathrow and M23 but they are astoundingly noisy on the concrete sections.

If you dare creep above 70mph to an indicated 74mph there is a resonance which is deafening. That’s one reason to keep it legal I suppose but everyone I take in the car comments on it. Fortunately it’s only once every couple of months I make the trip, and other concrete roads aren’t as bad (such as the M3 to Winchester)
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 19:10   #4
Deman77
Master Member

Potters bar concrete section resonates at 69 for me. That bit used to be unbearable on the new car before they did the mods to b pillar and changed to conti silent.
V60 cross country is so much quieter on the motorway than my xc90. 20in wheels with only 40 profile and 245 wide are completely fine. It’s a 4 seater until kids are out of boosters and boot is tiny in comparison but man is it a better car to drive.
Even new 320d m sport was quieter.
They really made a mess with acoustics on this thing.
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 19:51   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

We have a concrete section on the A19 where I live and it is the same with all vehicles and on any tyres, part of this stretch is near a residential area and has been complained about by house owners in the area for decades, the noise is really bad for drivers and residents and is a real problem, thankfully work is starting to upgrade this section this year.
My Contisilent Continental not so silent tyres are really noisy anyway, any tyres will be better than them and glad to see the back of them.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 11:44   #6
Roosterb

Nu11eaf - do you think the Pirelli's were quieter than the Conti's? I'm about to change mine.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 14:58   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterb View Post
Nu11eaf - do you think the Pirelli's were quieter than the Conti's? I'm about to change mine.
Very quiet on the smooth stuff but still noisy on the compacted chipping type roads but better than the Contisilent tyres.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 15:11   #8
ergonomist

I went from Contis to Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Acoustic - a huge improvement. I currently run the Michelins on 20" and Pirelli Scorpion Winters on 19". The Pirellis aren't quite as quiet as the Michelins - but some of that might be that they're winter tyres. Shame you can't 'try before you buy' with tyres!
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 12:54   #9
thesecretsanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Two new tyres ordered today, Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season's @ £170 each fitted, happily these are £50 cheaper (each) than the two (same tyres) I fitted a last year after getting a none repairable puncture. Glad to finally get rid of the last two Conti not so silent tyres.
I was thinking about fitting Avon ZX7 @ £133.40 each but thought it best to keep them all the same, may try them next time. (they are good enough for Rolls Royce).
I've had the ZX7s for 3 years or so, quieter than the Conti's it came with and much cheaper so i'll be sticking with them for the foreseable future
thesecretsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thesecretsanta For This Useful Post: