Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 intellisafe hanging off the screen

Views : 1164

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 19:52   #1
Steorbs

Default V90 intellisafe hanging off the screen

Hello all. Firstly its nice to be here after several years of having hondas I've gone nuts and bought a V90. Now I wouldn't normally join a forum straight with a fault (very needy of me I know) but since picking up my 3 year old motor in December I've had a couple months of hell and starting to think it's a bit of a mistake.

So, when I got the car, the intellisafe unit had a gap of about a centimetre on the passenger side, no issues etc but wasnt sure it was right. The car then had a problem and needed a new steering wheel module (wiper and indicator failed in the tipping down rain in wales, what joy) so mentioned it when it went in. The dealer wouldn't touch it as I bought it from another dealer. They suggested it may have had a windscreen at some point.

Anyway, it's been in and the unit was hanging off badly (after the 1st lot refused to touch it...but obviously have) and I'm being told they have never seen this before. Apparently the bracket that is glued to the screen has come away. Originally i was told the bracket has failed and snapped also, but now they say it hasn't. My fear is they are offering to have it glued back but I'm planning on checking if it has actually snapped. Apparently the screen needs to come out to bond it back.

I think it needs a screen but they are avoiding as its expensive (heated too!) Anyone seen this and also anyone know how the plastic cowling comes off? Thanks!
Steorbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 20:03   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

it does sound like something resulting from a replaced windscreen. Might be worth going to a local auto windscreen place, as I suspect they deal with this more than a main dealer, and they might have some ideas?
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 20:52   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steorbs View Post
Hello all. Firstly its nice to be here after several years of having hondas I've gone nuts and bought a V90. Now I wouldn't normally join a forum straight with a fault (very needy of me I know) but since picking up my 3 year old motor in December I've had a couple months of hell and starting to think it's a bit of a mistake.

So, when I got the car, the intellisafe unit had a gap of about a centimetre on the passenger side, no issues etc but wasnt sure it was right. The car then had a problem and needed a new steering wheel module (wiper and indicator failed in the tipping down rain in wales, what joy) so mentioned it when it went in. The dealer wouldn't touch it as I bought it from another dealer. They suggested it may have had a windscreen at some point.

Anyway, it's been in and the unit was hanging off badly (after the 1st lot refused to touch it...but obviously have) and I'm being told they have never seen this before. Apparently the bracket that is glued to the screen has come away. Originally i was told the bracket has failed and snapped also, but now they say it hasn't. My fear is they are offering to have it glued back but I'm planning on checking if it has actually snapped. Apparently the screen needs to come out to bond it back.

I think it needs a screen but they are avoiding as its expensive (heated too!) Anyone seen this and also anyone know how the plastic cowling comes off? Thanks!
They have no right to turn you away , at best they could get you goodwill, from volvo if it is a volvo screen , at worst quote you for a new volvo screen ... the bracket is very firmly bonded to the screen from the factory , they do not fall off . Can you find the word VOLVO on the screen anywhere with the other printing? If not someone has fitted a non genuine screen and tried to take the bracket off the other screen and poorly bond it to this one . It is pretty clear they have not even attempted to have it calibrated . Does the rain sensor work ok?
The only answer is to have a new volvo screen fitted which includes calibration who ever pays for it .. What about insurance ?
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 21:07   #4
Steorbs

So the screen is marked up with volvo so I think it is genuine, however I did wonder if it was replaced, being heated, that it would need to come from volvo? They seemed to suggest it may have been replaced but now saying it hasn't been.

It is under warranty as only purchased 2 months back and is a volvo selket car etc. So no concerns about them dealing with it. My concern is they are bodge jobbing it. They are planning to have a screen firm take it out, rebond and re fit the screen. To me it should have a new screen. I'm also worried that they said the bracket snapped but now say it isn't. I've got visions of them bonding it with a crack through it or something.

Really I want to take the cowling off and have a squint to see if it is snapped or not. If not, then I presume I go with them rebonding it as I have little choice really.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 21:38   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
So the screen is marked up with volvo so I think it is genuine, however I did wonder if it was replaced, being heated, that it would need to come from volvo? They seemed to suggest it may have been replaced but now saying it hasn't been.

It is under warranty as only purchased 2 months back and is a volvo selket car etc. So no concerns about them dealing with it. My concern is they are bodge jobbing it. They are planning to have a screen firm take it out, rebond and re fit the screen. To me it should have a new screen. I'm also worried that they said the bracket snapped but now say it isn't. I've got visions of them bonding it with a crack through it or something.

Really I want to take the cowling off and have a squint to see if it is snapped or not. If not, then I presume I go with them rebonding it as I have little choice really.
I don't understand. If they are saying the screen has not been taken out and the bracket has just failed then why are they removing the screen?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 21:44   #6
Steorbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I don't understand. If they are saying the screen has not been taken out and the bracket has just failed then why are they removing the screen?
They state that it has to come out to rebond the bracket. It doesn't make a whole load of sense to me to be honest either. I feel like the information I'm getting isn't quite right. I get the impression there is a reason that it comes bonded from the factory otherwise they would have just got on with it. I just feel I'm being spun a lie somewhere and that theres some back story to why it is how it is.

As I say, I want to take the plastic covers off to have a look and see for myself, just dont want to break that in the process either!
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 22:09   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
They state that it has to come out to rebond the bracket. It doesn't make a whole load of sense to me to be honest either. I feel like the information I'm getting isn't quite right. I get the impression there is a reason that it comes bonded from the factory otherwise they would have just got on with it. I just feel I'm being spun a lie somewhere and that theres some back story to why it is how it is.

As I say, I want to take the plastic covers off to have a look and see for myself, just dont want to break that in the process either!
all you can do is rely on them to sort it .. and hope their bonding doesn't fail again , They don't become unbonded on their own .. If they are claiming on selekt select should be fitting a new screen .
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 22:52   #8
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
all you can do is rely on them to sort it .. and hope their bonding doesn't fail again , They don't become unbonded on their own .. If they are claiming on selekt select should be fitting a new screen .
Who underwrites a Selekt warranty, Volvo or someone like CarCare.? As the original bonding took place in a factory I'm not too sure I would fancy a dab of glue repair. I would be talking to whoever will be paying the bill.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 22:57   #9
Steorbs

It's going in to be done next friday so will see what comes of it. They need to then test the camera out as that may be bust as wont calibrate, not surprising as its half looking at the sky.

They seem to be debating who's paying which I think is half the problem. If its factory fitted its Volvo, if it's a replacement screen it's the dealership as the seller. I will make sure I ask a few more questions as to why they are not replacing the screen and let you all know.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 23:07   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
Who underwrites a Selekt warranty, Volvo or someone like CarCare.? As the original bonding took place in a factory I'm not too sure I would fancy a dab of glue repair. I would be talking to whoever will be paying the bill.
Car Care Plan have been doing volvos non factory warranty for many decades ...