Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do i need new bonnet and t-gate struts?

Views : 373

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2020, 02:00   #1
Bashy
Aged Member

Default Do i need new bonnet and t-gate struts?

Hi folks

My bonnet appears to close far too easily, as much as to say it will do it on its own with a bit of wind behind it, its not meant to be like that is it?

Also the tailgate, whilst that stays up ok, if im not being mindful or someone else closes it, it goes with a bang, its best to let go no higher than about 98% closed, is that down to the strut or?

Thanks
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 10:51   #2
Critical Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Hi folks

My bonnet appears to close far too easily, as much as to say it will do it on its own with a bit of wind behind it, its not meant to be like that is it?

Also the tailgate, whilst that stays up ok, if im not being mindful or someone else closes it, it goes with a bang, its best to let go no higher than about 98% closed, is that down to the strut or?

Thanks
Im planning to buy new ones for my v70 because the bonnet one make really squeaking noise and is also not as strong as was before.
OEM brand is Stabilus and cost about £18 each for the tailgate and £16 for the front.
At the moment I only have one on the front but I also want to add one more if I will find this ball things to attach to bracket and gas spring
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 13:21   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

My bonnet has only one assist cylinder and it works just fine. Adding another might be wrong.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 16:49   #4
Willow place

My V70 has Two assisted for the bonnet (Hood) and in very high winds I use a broom pole just in case in comes down !
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willow place For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 23:37   #5
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
My bonnet has only one assist cylinder and it works just fine. Adding another might be wrong.
Thanks guys,

My bonet has 2 or is that the tailgate, erm, damn, i forget now, but i am sure its the bonnet, they do appear quite weak, although it will stay up in lighter winds....

What about the tailgate, should that be wanting to slam itself shut from anywhere other than fully opened? like i said, if i was to let go or someone closes it that does not know from the normal height where you would let go, it would be a heavy slam, it does not bode too well for the camera Its as though the struts do not do their thing unless fully extended
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 00:23   #6
sv70

Deffo your tailgate struts are well and truly knackered,you won't know how bad they were till you fit new,preferably as Bill suggests,get stabilus-5768ZF,originals, for just under £38 a pair [ebay]from germany-free delivery,and get someone to help you,as as soon as you take 1 of the old ones off the tailgate will want to take your head off,with new ones fitted you have to push down with some force to shut,and can close to approx 2''off fully shut and it will make a nice quiet clunk,you will wish you changed them ages ago.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2020, 01:05   #7
Bashy
Aged Member

Thanks for the info, good to know they are meant to work much better than they are doing