Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Volvo Owner

Views : 1567

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2020, 13:12   #1
Woody3537

Default New Volvo Owner

Hi All,
I have just picked up my second hand Volvo XC60 T5 Momentum 2018, so far its awesome however I have a few questions:
1) Servicing costs, How much does a standard service and a major service cost? rough Idea, as I'm looking at a volvo servicing plan but it looks very expensive ~£1250 for 3 years.
2) when the car gets up to 70mph there is a very slight wobble on the steering wheel nothing major but you can feel it. I've not had a car like this before i've always had low profile wheels so Im wondering if this is a normal for something this tall with a large profile 18" wheels, or do I need to get this checked out. Below this speed it is very good.

Thanks for your help

Mark
Woody3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 14:08   #2
techwatcher
Master Member

Hi Mark,

Welcome and i hope you enjoy your new Volvo.

1. Service costs: have a look at: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...ntenance/book/

This will give indicative pricing - dealers don't have to stick to it but most seem to be fairly close. Main dealer servicing at Volvo isn't cheap but they do give the car a wash and vacuum the interior and you get 12 months Volvo Assist (recovery service) included.

2. Steering wheel wobble at 70mph. It's not normal and you should get it checked out.
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 15:21   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Wobble is not normal and usually down to wheel balancing or could be tracking if it has been kerbed heavily.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 16:20   #4
Miles of Smiles

Servicing was the one thing I didn't check out before buying.... 5 Year Plan at over £2000 nearly floored me I have to admit!!
I'm used to a £500-£750 plan from history - but then I'm also used to a 5 year warranty, 5 year breakdown, 5 year map updates with traffic and speed camera subs included.

Three weeks I haven't given it a thought. I wanted the car, I love the car, and yes its going to cost me more but that outweighed by the pleasure.

Definite +1 on the wheel balance being out.
Options: Heated Front Screen, Dark Tinted Rear Windows, Tempa Spare Wheel, Retractable Towbar
Miles of Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miles of Smiles For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 16:35   #5
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles of Smiles View Post
Servicing was the one thing I didn't check out before buying.... 5 Year Plan at over £2000 nearly floored me I have to admit!!
I'm used to a £500-£750 plan from history - but then I'm also used to a 5 year warranty, 5 year breakdown, 5 year map updates with traffic and speed camera subs included.

Three weeks I haven't given it a thought. I wanted the car, I love the car, and yes its going to cost me more but that outweighed by the pleasure.

Definite +1 on the wheel balance being out.
I just paid £599 for a 5 year service plan from the dealer as part of the overall package for my Inscription Pro XC90 T8. £2000 sounds a bit steep unless there is something else included.
Moonlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moonlanders For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 17:49   #6
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

that 'cheap' service plan is only available from new
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 18:05   #7
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlanders View Post
I just paid £599 for a 5 year service plan from the dealer as part of the overall package for my Inscription Pro XC90 T8. £2000 sounds a bit steep unless there is something else included.
I understand that the £599 5 year service plan is only available as an offer on new cars and isn't always offered.

£2000 is closer to the actual cost of 5 years servicing, not helped by the £985 cost of Service 5 which includes a cam belt change.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 18:31   #8
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
I understand that the £599 5 year service plan is only available as an offer on new cars and isn't always offered.

£2000 is closer to the actual cost of 5 years servicing, not helped by the £985 cost of Service 5 which includes a cam belt change.
Glad I took it when I ordered then, as I did assume I would have been able to add it later if I wanted to.
Moonlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 07:42   #9
Boatie
Master Member

3 years ago my 5 year service plan for my new V90 cost me £500. 6 weeks ago a 2 year plan for my sisters second hand 16 plate Hyundi ix20 cost me £679. The salesman told me that Hyundi had withdrawn heavily supported plans "some time ago".
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 21:04   #10
Sts121

My new xc90 has just cost me £870 for its first three services. That’s with the local Volvo dealer and if memory serves me right it was quite a bit cheaper than the online Volvo quote
Sts121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
servicing & steering