Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 145241

Replies : 922

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2024, 19:16   #921
ITSv40
VOC Member

Today didn't quite go to plan.

Took the two wheels to the wheel re-furbishers. Got them out the boot and the first comment, ''a nice buckle there you have''. I hadn't noticed one of the wheels had a pronounced buckle on the inside edge, but when it was pointed out , quite obvious. Lucky it was on one of the wheels to have new tyres fitted. Wheels now being straightened and powder coated - two week turnaround. They are stacked out with work and the workshop had a Maserati, Ferrari and Porsche in, so can understand they are busy.

Spent the day cleaning the rear window switches. I did the door switches some years ago, but left the rear ones as they were quite clean. However, they had become so sticky, they were as if a little kid had played with them after eating Candy Floss. Isopropyl soon sorted them and now squeaky clean.

Next carry on with the brakes service while the wheels are away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240315_111436.jpg (126.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20240315_111843.jpg (127.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by ITSv40; Mar 15th, 2024 at 19:20.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 11:55   #922
Rich850R
Master Member

Finally got round to putting the 850 back on the road last week, with moving house and job changes the 850 has been neglected and because of that threw a wobbly when presented for its ticket, first fail in years, nothing major just lots of niggly bits, presented again for ticket again once id sorted all the fails, and passed with 1 advisory or rear tyres slight cracking on the outer shoulder, the Michelin's are a great tyre but are prone to premature ageing, may consider another performance tyre when i change them early summer, any recommendations gratefully received.

Took some new images for insurance agreed valuation purposes (pics took before MOT) Pesky ABS light illuminated, and now using the 850 at any given opportunity
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 850R PASSENGER SIDE.jpg (277.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 850R INTERIOR.jpg (175.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Rich850R; Mar 20th, 2024 at 12:10.
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 11:03   #923
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Yesterday I replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor with original Volvo items - eye wateringly expensive (from FRF Volvo) but at least I know I have the best quality fitted. The old dizzy cap didn't look bad at all inside, it was fitted about 35,000 miles ago but the plugs were surprisingly fouled, lots of white crusty deposits. I do a LOT of short journeys unfortunately, so that's probably the main reason.

Also noticed a recent loss of coolant. Having looked around the engine bay it seemed to be coming from around the top hose area on the rad, so I replaced both top and bottom hoses. However, sadly this hasn't fixed it, after a short journey to bring it all up to temperature there is still visible coolant dripping from the bottom of the radiator on the right hand side (same side as the top hose connection). So given where the coolant is dripping from, I can only conclude that it's a crack in the radiator at that end. There doesn't appear to be any oil/coolant mixing in either direction, so at least I'm lucky that it's a straightforward leak and I won't have to flush the oil or coolant to clean it up.

So if it's dripping from the radiator and it's not the hoses, it must be the radiator, right? Just checking in case I've forgotten anything stupid.

Was I tempted to just chuck some stop-leak in there? You bet I was, but temptation resisted, I know it probably wouldn't last and I'd be forever worried that it's going to dump its coolant on the motorway or in a traffic jam, and I don't need that stress.

A bit disappointed with this, as it had a new radiator a few years ago (that time it WAS engine oil and coolant mixing) and I'm a bit miffed that the radiator didn't last longer than that. However, it should be a relatively straightforward job as a) I've done it before and b) due to having done it before, I know the two main mounting bolts will come out easily, which is the normal PITA with this job. I had that trauma last time, ended up smashing the old radiator mounting lugs off, cutting the old bolts out with a grinder and welding new nuts on to the body bracket which was painful and probably doubled the time the job took. I reassembled using stainless bolts and some grease on the threads, thinking that the next person to take this apart will thank me, I didn't think it would be me though! Anyone who has changed a radiator on one of these will know what I'm on about.

Ordered a new radiator from PFV online (very expensive) and will fit it in the next few days when it's arrived. Also ordered a pair of front disks and OEM Volvo pads, as the brakes are quite poor, (I mean even poorer than usual) probably due to the inside faces of the disks (where you can't see it!) have corroded quite badly and the pads on the inside are probably sweeping only about half of the area they are supposed to. I'll probably do that job too while it's off the road, and also fit the new steering stops onto the wishbones, that have been sitting on my bench waiting to be fitted.

Altogether a bit of a pain, but I suppose I don't begrudge the old girl some expense and love from time to time, it's such a great car the rest of the time and at 27 years old and 190,000 miles I can't complain.

Cheers all!