Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted - Volvo 740 Radiator support and assembley

Views : 498

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 12:30   #1
Laputacake

Default Wanted - Volvo 740 Radiator support and assembley

Hi, I've recently bought a Volvo 740 however it's missing the entire front section between the headlights. I've managed to source a grille but im stilling missing the radiator support and the latch support, all the items that are normally in front of the radiator. Looking for these parts ASAP.

Thanks
Laputacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laputacake For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2021, 19:07   #2
bob12
bob12

What model year is it and is it a facelift?

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 07:50   #3
Laputacake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
What model year is it and is it a facelift?

Bob
Oh sorry forgot to say. It's a 1990 SE model. I'm afraid im not sure if it's a facelift. Still quite new to Volvo's.

Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laputacake For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 10:23   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laputacake View Post
Oh sorry forgot to say. It's a 1990 SE model. I'm afraid im not sure if it's a facelift. Still quite new to Volvo's.

Thanks
This is going to sound really picky/pedantic and in a sense it is but are you sure it's a 1990? Ignore the registration date as that only tells you when it was first registered, not if it was sat in a dealers compound waiting to be registered.

For the year of manufacture and the exact Model Year, you'll have to consult the VIN number on the plate just above the left hand headlamp. Specifically you need the 10th character of the VIN number :

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_700.shtml

Model Year

J = 1988 K = 1989 L = 1990 M = 1991 N = 1992

The letter could be any of those except N because although "H" was a 1990 registration, that could have been on a 1991MY as Volvo Model Years run from July to June i believe so a late "H" reg could be a 91MY.

Conversely if it was sitting in the dealers compound for 18 months, it could even be an 88MY (built anytime from July 88 onwards) and if it's 1990 on a "G" reg, that situation would be even more possible.

Alternatively a photo of the front end would be helpful.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 11:07   #5
Laputacake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
This is going to sound really picky/pedantic and in a sense it is but are you sure it's a 1990? Ignore the registration date as that only tells you when it was first registered, not if it was sat in a dealers compound waiting to be registered.

Alternatively a photo of the front end would be helpful.
Thanks for the info. Thankfully I took a picture of the vin and I can confirm it's a 1990 model as It is an L on the vin.

I've also some pictures of the front end. She still needs some cleaning up but trying to get her through the MOT as currently the radiator is held in by zipties and I don't know how well that'll go down at the garage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UpeSYmgecgQYTxYy8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oSwEhwP9XYr5MFEr9

Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laputacake For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 11:57   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laputacake View Post
Thanks for the info. Thankfully I took a picture of the vin and I can confirm it's a 1990 model as It is an L on the vin.

I've also some pictures of the front end. She still needs some cleaning up but trying to get her through the MOT as currently the radiator is held in by zipties and I don't know how well that'll go down at the garage.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UpeSYmgecgQYTxYy8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oSwEhwP9XYr5MFEr9

Thanks
You're missing some fairly common, easily obtained, secondhand parts there. I would call it the slam panel that bolts between the two bonnet latches, the air guide, radiator grille and the two brackets that sit on top of the radiator and bolt to the slam panel.

Also the right hand locating peg in the bottom of the radiator isn't in the grommet at the bottom.

Although the subject of this pic isn't the radiator and its associated parts, it does show the bits you need and also that they're fairly universal across the range. My radiator is both wider and deeper than yours but as you can see if you look closely, there are holes already for the inboard bolts for the left hand top radiator bracket.

Your best bet is if you can find the bits in a breakers and remove them yourself or buy from a breaker on here that knows these cars - they will be able to look at your pics and supply bits to suit, even from a 940 which at the age yours is, could easily pass for a 940 with different badges!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Sep 24th, 2021 at 11:58. Reason: Pic
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 14:56   #7
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I should be able to supply you with some of the missing bits, I'll have to check what I've got and get back to you.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 18:15   #8
Laputacake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You're missing some fairly common, easily obtained, secondhand parts there. I would call it the slam panel that bolts between the two bonnet latches, the air guide, radiator grille and the two brackets that sit on top of the radiator and bolt to the slam panel.

Your best bet is if you can find the bits in a breakers and remove them yourself or buy from a breaker on here that knows these cars - they will be able to look at your pics and supply bits to suit, even from a 940 which at the age yours is, could easily pass for a 940 with different badges!
That's what I've been looking for. Best case scenario will be if I can find a 940 or 740 with the whole front end intact so I can rebuild the entire front part but there's only 1 breakers near me I've found, lakes autos but they close at 6 so haven't had a chance to make it over there. Only issue is finding the correct grille as from what I've found the 1990 is the hardest go find. Thanks for the help though I can make a shopping list from that picture.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laputacake For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 18:15   #9
Laputacake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I should be able to supply you with some of the missing bits, I'll have to check what I've got and get back to you.
That'd be great if you had those parts. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laputacake For This Useful Post: