Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG conversion

Views : 1276

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 15:15   #1
Patrick Garland
Patrick

Default LPG conversion

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the 2.3 engine in a 1989 240DL is a suitable candidate for conversion to duel fuel. I have a V70 at the moment with duel fuel. It can run on LPG or petrol and is, to my mind, quite a good system. It makes the cost of running it lower and can be easily switched between the two whilst driving with virtually no noticeable change over. Just wondering if an older engine like that found in the 240DL is suitable for such a conversion. One garage I rang said something about the fact that it may not have 4 injectors and would make the conversion more difficult and not be as efficient. Not being technically minded this is all a mystery to me so thought I'd throw it out in case anyone else knows. Thanks in advance.
Patrick Garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 01:51   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

A 240 of that age will have no electronic injectors

If a B230K then it will be a twin choke carb. If B230E then its mechanical injection.

Conversion of non EFI engine is normally done with a mixer so works on teh same principle as a petrol carb. Fuel consumption is not as good as with a EFI engine but still a significant fuel cost saving. These older engine are better suited to LPG than the newer V70 mechanically but the fuel system of the v70 gives better drivability
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 08:42   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I ran a 240 with a mixer LPG system for a number of years. It had already been converted when I bought the car.
My verdict was:

1) The fuel economy was certainly worthwhile. It gave an equivalent "fuel consumption" on a cost basis as if the car were doing about 45 mpg.

2) The mixer system was temperamental until finally set up and adjusted correctly. The main drawback was a tendency in certain circumstances to "pop back" in the inlet duct, risking destroying the convoluted plastic pipe. Switching over to gas required timing - it was best done when the engine was freely revving, not under load.
A vital improvement I made was to re-route the air intake to the engine-side of the radiator, as the ram-air effect in the normal position encouraged blow-back and caused uncertain running in gusty winds.

3) It was susceptible to icing-up when cold, and did not run well. It was best to start on petrol and switch over after about half a mile. Timing the point of switch-over was important - never switch on over-run or when pulling.

4) Spark plugs needed a smaller gap, regular cleaning and re-setting, and replacing at 10,000 miles regardless.

5) I inherited a small tank, but cleverly housed in a slot cut in the estate's rear underfloor locker. This needed an exhaust re-routing, but left the interior storage intact. A better location would be a toroidal tank in the spare wheel locker - but then you'd have the wheel loose in the back or be dependant on run-flat tyres.

5) Convenience of LPG outlets is crucial, but then you'll know that. My commute to work had only one garage selling LPG, which exploited its position by being very expensive. When it closed I gave up LPG anyway.
This was made worse by the small tank. Long trips required planning, my observation was that outlet numbers were dwindling.

Conclusion - worth having if your car comes ready-converted, but not worth doing if you have to pay for it yourself. It comes down to your annual milege - I was doing 30,000 miles pa then.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 10:31   #4
Patrick Garland
Patrick

Thanks chaps for all that very useful information. Going to have to think hard about this one. Decisions, decisions !
Patrick Garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 19:30   #5
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

I have a 1990 B230 F saloon which was converted 10 years ago this month and not had any problems to mention as i have it serviced every 2 years..it is the BRS SYSTEM....john form cargas in Fenton stoke on Trent...great chap...
timetrip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timetrip For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 00:40   #6
mentepazza

Same here mate. B200E lpg converted.
Since there is no electronic ignition you have to make a decision between running smooth on lpg or Petrol, you can’t have both.
I run petrol for 10 minutes then switching to lpg. Car converted to lpg in 1995.
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mentepazza For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 12:59   #7
BrianH
VOC Member

Default B200E and a B230E

I started the first 27 miles to 150k B200 on petrol, then up to 400k on LPG. First seen in the our Volvo Driver magazine. Then converted to a much better B230E.

The system installed was a GROOT system from Holland and it's a really basic system for £1500. The first exhaust problem was at 350k. Then the B230E I thought was hard, wasn't. Rebuild £350. Head's are the week point; even with oil injection. It must have hard inserts. Check it out on vast information about engines,

I got the London emission zone permission, before they decided I didn't have the right certificate of conversion. Don't go there now. Win-win.

Running on LPG is a learning curve. I learned a lot from IWEMA Enterprise in Holland. their book explains so much about LPG. Look it up.

Years ago LPG was 39ppl now I can get it for 60ppl, but skip 70ppl. I know my areas in Dorset and Wiltshire where I do most of my volunteer work. So search out cheap stations. I have been to Italy and John O'groats on gas but you do need an LPG map from their association.

I have a 100 ltr tank behind the rear seat on the 245 which gives me 350 miles and about 40/42mpg. I can still get a washing machine in the back still.

Love it

BrianH 670k with a broken axle. But getting it fixed. This is very hard work!!!
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianH For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 21:16   #8
BrianH
VOC Member

Default A little more

The ignition is vital. The system needs a rebuilt distributer and NJK BLUE HT leads. The plugs are standard but need looking after. Gap may be better slightly smaller too.

Think about a backfire valve on the inlet they are useful.

A cylinder pressure gauge would be useful too.

I start and run 100% on LPG.

BrianH
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 22:38   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

You won’t aave a great deal, it will run hot and stress the engine and will be temperamental all the time. Just give it a miss.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 22:51   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
You won’t aave a great deal, it will run hot and stress the engine and will be temperamental all the time. Just give it a miss.
What a load of tosh. LPG burns cooler than petrol (however it does not offer cooling that petrol does) No more stress is given to the engine and in fact engine life can be extended over what is expected when running petrol.

An example of this looking at Honda GX engines. On petrol we were seeing the work for about 500hrs and need a rebuild. 250hrs of running later and then would be too worn to repair. Changing to LPG only extended life to 1000-1500 hrs before needing a head gasket and minor repair. Final engine life would be 3000-5000 hours before the block would fail!
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote