Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Scam

Views : 574

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2020, 11:42   #1
Premier Member

Default Scam

My son got this in his inbox this morning: apart from the fact that he paid his tax for the full year back in June, I think the email address could be a giveaway!
It appears that vincetheprince works for the DVLA now.
Attached Images
File Type: png A09CB59E-2026-4C4C-AA11-3781456A69E2.png (327.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpeg C7BD1559-5EC8-4E40-9C3C-4E5DFE046A0F.jpeg (168.0 KB, 62 views)
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 60041 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 12:38   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

It does rather appear that the incidence of such scams is on the increase, '60041'. Fortunately, this was relatively easy to spot; not all are. As mentioned in another recent thread in similar vein, it is helpful to report these 'phising' attempts to the appropriate authorities. Maybe the villains are feeling the pinch in these difficult times too!

Regards, John.
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 21:23   #3
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

General rule of thumb is to be suspicious of any communication like this, I always check it out by going to the appropriate place independently, not clicking on the links in the message. If you've used the 'insert link' option on the forum you'll know how easy it is to make it look like a link to something it is not, see the future.con is a link to BBC weather I just made.
I have had genuine calls in the past from the security department of my bank and they get upset when I say I'm not telling them anything, I then hang up and dial the bank direct on the regular number, go through security with them and ask what's going on. The last call I had was a phishing call but the bank were quite OK with me calling them to check and said they have been seeing a resurgence of such calls recently.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 21:53   #4
GMcL
0's and 1's

Act in haste repent at leisure.

If someone calls and catches you off guard you can always hang up. We've always been taught it is impolite to hang up but that was 50+ years ago.

Ask what it is regarding and tell them now is not convenient you have a meeting or whatever to go to, ask them politely to call back in 30 minutes. Whether they call back or not will tell you if it's genuine and gives you 30 minutes to find out what's what.

As for emails, best setup multiple accounts. The problem is most people are honest and think myfirstname.mylastname<somerandomnumbermaybe>@serv iceprovider.co.uk is what they must have.

Gof*ckyersel@hotmail.com is (probably) taken but you can make any old addresses up and use them for forums, media, whatever you're into and helps you narrow down where the leak is coming from if you get such emails in future.

Create a bucket one for any websites or web apps that insist on an email address to validate use. Once passed the initial verification they can send a billion emails to an address no one monitors. If it's OK for big business why not for the little guy ?

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Sep 17th, 2020 at 22:00.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 18:17   #5
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I see these sort of things all the time in my work & yes they're on the increase.

A couple of the tell tales are there

Email sender using a Hotmail,Gmail account. A corporate account would have a proper domain name such as dvla.gov.uk

Email isn't addressed to a person - The DVLA would have your name from the registration information or the claimed failed bank DD.

just hover over any link (don't click it) does the link actually point to the DVLA or just a random site.

Some of the AV vendors used to have quizzes & helpful guides on how to identify Phishing emails, I've just had a quick look & can't find one to post here as an email which is a shame.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote