Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4 petrol engine: when to replace cambelt?

Views : 15755

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2020, 21:22   #21
Balistaff

Default Belt Only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balistaff View Post
I have a 2003 V70 SE 2.4 Petrol and it's done almost 75,000 miles on what I understand is it's first Timing/Cam belt. So it's just turned 16 years old last October. Think it's due a replacement. I'm thinking of replacing it myself as the Timing Belt kit is only around £100. Does anyone know somewhere Maidenhead way that they can recommend?
Well, how times change with all this COVID stuff. I’ve been working from home since mid March and I’ve mainly been driving my Alfa 159 Sportwagon, couldn’t be more different to the V70. Anywho, I’ve got two weeks off and was going to have a crack at the timing belt and tensioners on the V70, but can only seem to get a timing belt but not a kit? The car is now nearly 17 years but only just 76,000 miles. Probably should wait for a kit to be available, so I’ll take the covers off and have a look at the current belt, as the weather looks unkind from Tuesday on.

Previously - V70 2003 SE 2.4L 170BHP Petrol/Auto
Balistaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 21:51   #22
oilit
All the gear - no idea

Quote:
Well, how times change with all this COVID stuff. I’ve been working from home since mid March and I’ve mainly been driving my Alfa 159 Sportwagon, couldn’t be more different to the V70. Anywho, I’ve got two weeks off and was going to have a crack at the timing belt and tensioners on the V70, but can only seem to get a timing belt but not a kit? The car is now nearly 17 years but only just 76,000 miles. Probably should wait for a kit to be available, so I’ll take the covers off and have a look at the current belt, as the weather looks unkind from Tuesday on.
there are a few good videos on how to do the belt on the v70 2.4/t5 on the web and it 'seems' to be quite a simple job.

I need to do mine, I am surprised about the kit - on my sons c30 and daughters polo I have used gates kits which included the water pump - which I did as the belt change is such a pita on those cars. I have to say have been pleased with them.

Most people recommend the volvo belts and I am about to price them up vs the Gates and see what the difference is.
oilit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 17:00   #23
Balistaff

Default Timing Belt Kit Ordered

Quote:
So just ordered a ContiTech Timing Belt Kit (Product Code: 348774165) as my engine is #3210068 and these kits are for engines from #3188689. It will be available for pick-up on Monday, so I've the weekend off (to clear the garage) and will probably get going the weekend after.

Old Mar 9th, 2021, 13:13   #24
Balistaff

Default Timing Belt Change - Shout to 1A Autos

Quote:
So just ordered a ContiTech Timing Belt Kit (Product Code: 348774165) as my engine is #3210068 and these kits are for engines from #3188689. It will be available for pick-up on Monday, so I've the weekend off (to clear the garage) and will probably get going the weekend after.
I've just changed the timing belt and the old one doesn't seem or look worn at all. Probably good for another 25K, but it had been on the car for 17+ years. I didn't change the water pump though, due to:
  • The added hassle of draining the coolant
  • The excellent condition of the existing timing belt
  • No signs of leaks from the water pump
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Car purred back into life and once I get a few more miles on the clock I can advise if my workmanship is up to scratch.

Big shout out to the YouTube clip from 1A Autos state-side. Very helpful.

Last edited by Balistaff; Mar 9th, 2021 at 13:14. Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 9th, 2021, 23:36   #25
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
I've just changed the timing belt and the old one doesn't seem or look worn at all. Probably good for another 25K, but it had been on the car for 17+ years. I didn't change the water pump though, due to:
  • The added hassle of draining the coolant
  • The excellent condition of the existing timing belt
  • No signs of leaks from the water pump
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Car purred back into life and once I get a few more miles on the clock I can advise if my workmanship is up to scratch.

Big shout out to the YouTube clip from 1A Autos state-side. Very helpful.
there is the "thing"
If it is a Volvo Engine (the 2.4 pot petrol is as is the T5 5pot) and a Genuine Volvo water pump, it really Is a "if it aint broke dont mess"

"garages" who are Not used to working on Volvo engines go with the "ah err *suck teeth , your going to need a water pump as well" ,, (the silent Kerrching of the cash register in the background) ,, and to be fair to them on a Lot of other makes engines they are probably correct.

what Is worth doing when you are in there and changing the timing belt is
The tensioner for it
The belt you have to take off to get to the timing belt (the aux belt)
the tensioner for the aux belt

cost is negligible, esp compared to the bill If it fails,
Both tensioners "yes" while your in there ,reason as above.

@17 years old "hell yes change it + aux belt + tensioners" as soon as so good job there
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 16:38   #26
Balistaff

Default All Good 6k miles later :-)

"All Good" approx. 6,000 miles later

Tags
cambelt, petrol, service schedule, v70 2001 engine