Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does anybody bother undersealing their cars?

Views : 4289

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Do you underseal your cars?
Yes 23 37.70%
No 38 62.30%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 27th, 2018, 10:55   #31
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galloot633 View Post
just to give you an idea , this was posted on the xc90 section, other members have dismissed it as only surface rust , but i don't like rust of any kind
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277088
Dave
That's worse underneath than my (lives outdoors, 150,000 mile) 1990 740.

Bleugh.

And yes, I've undersealed most of my cars. The only ones I have not are awaiting treatment, or not driven in inclement weather.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 10:01   #32
biggbn
I've Been Banned

My 2005 beetle has needed it's outer sills welded. Terrible design, they mimic running boards and are quite fragile. A bump or bash on their underside and next thing they are damp and mucky INSIDE and the rest is obvious. Shocking. Cracking engine though!!
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 11:17   #33
Delta66

I have had the older cars I have bought undersealed. I would not bother with new ones or doing it on an annual basis.

My 22 year old 940 had the surface rust removed and it was undersealed. I looks really smart and is part of long term preservation.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 19:25   #34
morsing
Premier Member

You're only supposed to do it every other year, reason escapes me but I can find out...

The only reason I don't do it is the hassle and the rarity of undersealing shops in this country as I would love to have it done regularly.

Thanks
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 11:00   #35
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

May xc is relatively easy because of its ground clearance , but I just fill up my garden fence sprayer with waxoil on a really hot day and it takes about 15 minutes to blast the underside , this is enough brackets etc
Dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 21:37   #36
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Pointless on a Real Volvo as they don't rust.
As for my 40 year old cars yes they get the Waxoyl treatment but not every year. If you don't prep the underside properly and coat it properly you are just wasting time and money. In fact I've just bought another tin of it for one of my cars.

I'm betting the O/P's neighbour is an older chap who will tell tales of using used 20/50 oil as a cheap chassis rust protector then burying the rest in a gravel trap in the garden or painting his garden shed with it.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 21:49   #37
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

I'd be tempted on the Ford-based Volvos, or anything Japanese.

P2 and older Volvos I wouldnt bother.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 22:23   #38
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Having the factory underseal removed on my 780 next week and new applied. Not waxoil...something longer lasting

Hopefully nothing too serious underneath!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 22:38   #39
rustytoba
Master Member

Hi All,

Yes I do still underseal every year before MOT time (its usually clean and dryish that time of year), brush on in the easy to access areas and spray on in the bits I cant, I also grey stonechip my sills (usually every other year) to keep things tidy.

Did a similar regime to my other passed classics.

You really cant expect factory rust treatment to last a lifetime, when I was a kid Renault 19's etc where galvanized at the factory it was supposed to extend the life of the body etc, you don't see many of those anymore do you?

Come to think of it I've probably seen more Ziebarted British Leyland cars built between the 60's and 80's still on the road than Renault 19's!

We all need a little help to last as long as we can I wonder how many V70's will still be on the road when their 40 without some underseal (or a second floor)

Then again I'm also one of those guys that adjusts my hub bearings aftere 3000 miles and pokes a small bit of wire in all my drain holes then digs out the cavity wax.

Scott
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote