Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sorting out headlights for France

Views : 1798

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2017, 12:55   #11
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semnoz View Post
Very interesting fact

Normally the English language edition of a user's manual is for the UK, and therefore you'd expect 'Example 1' of page 77 (above) to describe the scenario of taking a UK-spec car abroad. Instead, 'Example 1' describes the scenario of bringing a Swedish spec car to the UK.

Obviously, most people in Norway/Sweden speak better English than people in the UK, so perhaps the English version of the manual isn't actually for the UK - how biased is that
I think your misreading it. To me it sounds as if Example 1 describes a UK registered car being driven in Sweden. I'm thinking along the lines of the Volvo Overseas Delivery Program, where people collect their cars in Sweden and drive them there for 2 weeks before they are shipped to their home country. In this instance, a RHD car would need it's headlights to be in the adjusted position as it explains.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 15:17   #12
apersson850
Premier Member

No, he's reading it correctly. The manual is a direct translation of the Swedish edition, without shuffling the examples. The first example is for me, for example, when I brought my Swedish specification XC70 to the UK last year. Then they continue to describe the opposite, and much more rare, case where a car equipped for left hand traffic is driven on the right side.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 23:22   #13
Semnoz

Damn - just realised the manual is talking about Bi-Xenon lights.....mine only have HID bulbs for the dipped beam.

So looks like I'll be putting stupid stickers on the lamp covers after all
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 18:30   #14
I-S
Premier Member

The only Xenons fitted to the V70 P3 are Bi-Xenons.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 21:42   #15
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
The only Xenons fitted to the V70 P3 are Bi-Xenons.
Oh, I thought Bi-Xenon was both the dipped and main beam in HID bulb ?

Mine have halogen main and HID dipped. The dipped lamp does move up and down when I power them on (auto level adjustment I presume).

And I can't find anything that resembles the picture in the user's guide showing the beam direction selector switch, which is the other reason I concluded that I don't have Bi-Xenon....

Last edited by Semnoz; Oct 16th, 2017 at 21:44.
Semnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 22:44   #16
Semnoz

Right, finally figured it out after having found the following:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=73468

The picture in the user's manual is certainly a bit rubbish. It looks more like a diagram showing the removal of a relay from the engine bay. Must have been drawn by the same chap whose job it was to apply sealant primer to the top edge of the windscreens
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 22:48   #17
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semnoz View Post
Oh, I thought Bi-Xenon was both the dipped and main beam in HID bulb ?
That's correct.

Quote:
Mine have halogen main and HID dipped.
Actually you have HID dipped/main and halogen auxiliary main.

The beam pattern cutoff in a projector headlamp is set by a shield that blocks the light that would go too high. In the bi-xenon when you go to main beam this shield is moved out of the way.

Try putting the main beam on and check from outside the car - you'll see that the xenon is giving full coverage.

Quote:
And I can't find anything that resembles the picture in the user's guide showing the beam direction selector switch, which is the other reason I concluded that I don't have Bi-Xenon....
Did you remove the lamp from the vehicle and remove the back cover from the lamp?
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 22:56   #18
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post

Did you remove the lamp from the vehicle and remove the back cover from the lamp?
Yep, I just went out and removed one of the lamps, took the rear cover off and had a peek inside. I didn't get to take a photo as I was worried about the wind blowing the bonnet shut, but it's exactly as shown at the bottom of this link:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=73468

When I pulled the lever out, and pushed it back in, I could see a deflector/shield object moving inside the HID 'projector' lens assembly.

I'm fairly sure when I switch to main beam, the halogens power up (the inner-most bulbs) and nothing else happens.

EDIT - just reading your reply again, I'll do some tests in a few nights time, and get some beam patter photos showing all switch scenarios.

Last edited by Semnoz; Oct 16th, 2017 at 23:06.
Semnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 22:36   #19
StuAgain

On my 2016 V70 D3 the sales team said that the dipping was automatic based on the Sat-Nav location, then automatic via the camera detecting on-coming lights. Load of B........Ks. Have to remove the WHOLE headlamp unit from the car, unplug the cables plug/socket as the cables are too short to work on the rear of the unit. (Pair of nail clippers required as your finger nails will get broken). Then ensuring that the unit is not dropped or slides off the radiator cowling, unclip the rear cover wire and plastic clips, grope inside to find the little black tab to reset the dip accordingly, then reassemble.
All done in the dark, rain, snow, etc. whilst answering, politely, the questions from the inside of the car; "How's it going?, Is it going alright?, Are you going to be long?" etc.
This, in my opinion, is the worst bit of design that Volvo have ever put into a car. No wonder the brochures and manuals are so unclear. I would punish the designer by making this person change the DIP several times a year as I have to do being a regular cross channel traveller, usually at night.
The second worse bit is the Sat-Nav, so bad that I use a Garmin instead. Love the rest of the car though.
StuAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 15:35   #20
apersson850
Premier Member

Simply bring the whole headlamp with you inside the car. That's the whole point of the easy removal of the whole headlight.

Since I got an XC70 with built in RTI I haven't used any of my, many, Garmin units in that car. Haven't found any feature in them that outranks the convenience of having the system built in.
The internet maps (not the full Sensus navigation) in the newer XC70 is pretty lame, though. But it can be upgraded if you like to.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote